What do you think is/was the prettiest Apple Mac ever?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I did a quick search to see if a thread like this had been done before but didn't find anything immediately.

Anyway, what do you think is the prettiest mac in order of looks?

I think the following:

1) iBook 12" (Ice)
    2) PowerMac G5
    3) PowerBook 15" (Alu)
    4) iBook 14"
    5) PowerBook 12"
    6) PowerBook 17"
    7) iMac G4
    8) Mini
    9) Last Gen PowerMac G4
    10) PowerMac G4 Quicksilver
    11) G4 Cube
    12) iMac G5
    13) eMac
    14) PowerBook 15" (Ti)
    15) PowerMac G4 AGP
    16) PowerMac G3
    17) Anniversary Mac
    18) iMac G3
    19) PowerBook G3
    20) iBook 12" (Clamshell)
    21) Any Beige Box

Note: The PowerMac G4 AGP is only that low now because I think it looks dated but at the time when it came out I thought it was the hottest thing on the planet. These reflect in order what I think of the looks as of now not what I thought of them when they came out.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

EDIT : Sorry Brain Fart. I was thinking of someone else

Sorry again, I was getting annoyed with someone else, not you.

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Edit: Haha, no worries!! :) You had be worried there since I always try to stick to decent forum etiquette and people that don't irritate me!! :)

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well I think this is a good idea for a thread.

1 iBook G4
    2 iMac G4
    3 iMac G5
    4 Cube
    5 Mac mini
    6 Power Mac G4 MDD
    7 PowerBook G4 (Alu)
    8 eMac
    9 iMac G3
    10 Power Mac G5
    11 Beige boxes

5. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

No Apple anniversary Mac?

I really liked the IIfx and IIci (I had the little-brother si)- they were ultra-exotics in the $10,000 range - sure, boxes, but they were the uber Macs and the mystique gives them a bit of sexy.

The jet-black G3 powerbooks.

The quadra cases through to the PM 9600 cases. I wasn't thrilled when the PMs went to the clear-plastic / blue look. I felt like it made them seem a little more like toys and less like professional machines. By the time we got to the G4 MMD and FW800, I liked them fine, but I still liked the last of the kahki cases. I like it more than the g5 as well (just a little too box fan for me).

Current PBs look good, but don't give me that timeless feel like the ones above.

Edit: My favorite is still my first: The beautiful IIsi!! Pic added. This model had the wonderful new rounded mouse that was heavy and substantial in feel and the WONDERFUL Apple extended keyboard - both used with other macs subsequently.

Attached Files:

6. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I updated my list to include the anniversary mac. Its pretty low down I admit but that's just what I think of its looks now. Back in the day it was amazing, groundbreaking in fact. But these days its not quite up there. Hmmm... in fact I think its better looking than the iMac G3. I like the look of the iMac G3 less and less every time I look at one... and I've got one at home!! :-S

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

number 13 and 17 blew me away and totally changed my perception of how cool a laptop and a desktop could be

the tibook was ultra thin and made out of titanium, which i thought was too expensive for a laptop...i saw the macworld presentation on the net and i couldn't believe my eyes...and sporting a g4 and 400 mhz speed to boot!

the imac made me notice apple inc again after having thought they were just the best company of many companies...the g3 imac put the personal computer on a different level and i wanted the thing in my house...a few months later, the very fast 300 mhz g3 clamshell ibook came out and it was just as beautiful and i got that machine instead for my wife

today, apple inc has so many beautiful, and powerful computers, that it's so hard to choose from...even the humble emac and minimac are amazing machines to see in person and make the dells and hp/compaqs look like common hardware tools

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

desktop - iMac G5 - when i actually saw an iMac g5 i was amazed
    laptop - Ti powerbooks - i like the design on how the ports were on the back, the new Al ports are all over the place.

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

All-In-One - iMac G5 [Runnerup - iMac G3]
    Laptop - PowerBook G4 12" [Runnerup - PowerBook G4 15"]
    Standalone - PowerMac G5 [Runnerup - G4 Cube]

Can anyone say MacPolls? :rolleyes:

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I think the current Aluminum PowerBooks are the best looking Mac Apple has ever created.

11. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Oops, I just realised that I had the 12" and 15" Alu Powerbooks the wrong way round - I think the 15" looks nicer than the 12" purely because of the way the keyboard is set in - the edges look a bit weird to me, don't quite know how to describe what I mean. Still an ueber hot machine though!!

I absolutely adored the original TiBooks but now I think they look quite dated when compared to the Alu design. I think its because the designs are so similar that has that effect. The same was true for the second to last G4 powermac revision when the last revision came out, it was still a really good looking machine but looked a bit dated when compared to the newer very similar looking model.

I've never been a big fan of the iMac G5s although I have to admit they've been growing on me - I always used to think the big fat white bit on the bottom of the screen looked a bit ugly and when compared to the G4 iMacs they simply paled in comparison.

12. JonMaker macrumors regular

The iMac G4 certainly wins the "Prettiest Mac Ever" contest, however it loses the "Best Looking" contest to the 12" PowerBook G4.

13. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Not the 12...they are all on the left.

And anyway, all of the main ports on the 15 and 17 PBs are on one side, and extras are on the other (I believe)

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I start drooling every time that I look at my PowerMac G5 - my #1 choice for best looking Mac. :D

15. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

I never actually saw an iMac G5 until I bought one, and it floored me when I pulled it out of the box.

The Mini and the 17" AlBook are pretty attractive, too.

I love iBooks, but more for the quality and price than the appearance, which is better than most Windows PCs but not the most attractive Mac ever.

16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Desktop - The PowerMac G5. That thing is PURE COMPUTING HOTNESS, in computer form. Brushed aluminum, I'm in!
    And I still dig that iMac G4. I love the dome, I don't know why.

Laptop - 15" PowerBook G4... but then again, I am a little biased.

but the next thing that comes out, I'll love it, too.
    Curse you, Jonathan Ives! Your designs are too beautiful!

17. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Nope you're all wrong! THE SE/30 HAD ALREADY BECOME PERFECTION! How can one better that?

18. kwajo.com macrumors 6502a

kwajo.com

I know it's not a mac, but the Apple I is awesome! I mean that wood enclosure was HAWT ;)

19. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

iMac G4 of course - That's one reason I still own my 17".

The Cube is awesome, but not all that pretty. The iMac G5 is also a great looking piece. And you have to admit, the G3 iMac was cool back in its day.

20. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

1. imac g4
    2. mac mini
    3. imac g5
    4. 17" powerbook
    5. powermac g4 MDD
    6. clamshell ibook
    7. 12" g4 ibook
    8. powermac g3 blue and white
    9. emac
    10. powermac g5
    11. macintosh
    12. tibook
    theres others of course but those are the ones i felt like ranking lol

21. Washco macrumors newbie

Gotta be the Color Classic for me. It was the first one I learned on. I still think its looks cool! Maybe I'll pick up one on ebay......

22. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

My favorite Apple designs. You know, the ones that redefined the home computer, and left everyone scrambling to copy them?

1. mac 128k (the first true all-in-one!)
    2. IIfx (the first "wicked fast" mac)
    2. TAM (computers could be sexy status symbols)
    3. imac G3 (colored cases!)
    4. powermac G3 (seamless easy-open design for a professional system)
    5. powerbook G4 (widescreen, anyone?)
    6. G4 cube (small and silent, enclosure that captured the imagination)
    7. imac G4 (the computer as art object, color era ends)
    8. powermac G5 (design meets functionality, a grill that both enables and exudes power)
    9. imac G5 (a practical revisitation to the TAM, moving the imac line to a less lofty, more pragmatic design)
    10. mac mini (the realization of the digital hub)

Ugliest
    1. powermac 4400 (pc box, *shudder*)
    2. LC series (pizza box)
    3. G3 all-in-one (clear/beige mix, what the hell?)
    4. 90% of performas (awful)
    5. MDD G4s* (non-funtional speed vents/holes = idiotic Alienware move)

*okay, so they aren't that bad, but I had to rip on something in the Jobs Era II

23. briangig macrumors regular

12" Powerbook...no matter what angle its at...I think the bottom looks cooler than the top.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Titanium PowerBook is the best looking ever. After that I'd have to say the iBook and the iMac G5.

25. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I think the G4 iMac is probably the best looking mac ever, although I do agree with whoever said that the SE/30 was up there. :rolleyes: