What do you think of my Hardware Quiz?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KingArthur, Apr 23, 2003.

1. KingArthur macrumors regular

Wow, thus far (1:30 EST on Wed) over 30 of you have taken my quiz. I am just wondering what everyone thinks of it. Lemme know if you like it or not, or if you think I may have had something wrong on it (remember, although I try to research it all thuroughly, I am only human and can make errors). For all of you who haven't tried it yet, you can check it out at: http://www03.quizyourfriends.com/ta...you~p20know~p20about~p20comuters~p3F&c=1&a=08
    Lemme know what you think.

2. Skurn macrumors newbie

It was great. It was a bit of a challenge to me, because I didn't know some of the questions and just took a wild guess. Luckily I made it with 6 out of 10. If I'd remembered the answers, I could even say I was learning from it ;)
    Good quiz, Arthur!

3. Datazoid macrumors regular

ummm...question....you say the fastest processor bus is 133Mhz...what about the PMG4 1.25 or 1.42 Ghz processors that have 167 Mhz Buses? Apple/Moto doesnt have double-pumped buses, so...?

http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

4. noel4r macrumors 6502a

5. KingArthur thread starter macrumors regular

That is also something that has me wondering. lol. When I made the quiz, I think the new PM G4s had JUST come out, so it wasn't a factor in that question. Definately something that requires further investigation b/c I know they use 266Mhz DDR RAM, so the RAM bus is 133Mhz double pumped. If anyone has info on this matter, please let me know.

6. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

HA! That was fun. But what did those questions have to do with

"How much do you know about comuters"?

He,He. a little typo!

7. KingArthur thread starter macrumors regular

lol. Yeah. I noticed that typo after I already made the quiz. I am too lazy to make the same on again with the correct spelling. lol. I noticed it the day I made the quiz. I pointed it out to a friend and they hadn't even noticed it until I told them, so I figured I'd go with it.

8. cubist macrumors 68020

ECHH!

I HATE applications which change the window size, especially those which maximize and can't be minimized!

Also, I get a Flash error when it runs... Ghaa, hangs the browser!

Why are you collecting email addresses? To send spam? And what's with all the popup ads too?

STAY AWAY, FOLKS!! Sheesh!

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well, I dunno what I think of your script, considering I never get to take it. (It loads up to 99%, hangs, then Flash gives me the following message. If I hit "No", it just repeats all over again. ) I tried to view the quiz in IE, Safari, and Camino.

[Edit: Well, looks like cubist is having the same problem as me.]

Attached Files:

10. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Got the error here aswell, it then shot to a page about my ranking (I couldn't even take part so I don't know where that came from)

I've got the latest flash/shockwave plug-ins and i'm running IE 5.1.6 under OS 9.2.1

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

12. KingArthur thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry. I've never heard of anyone having any of those errors before. I know the feeling about the webpage resizing and everything. I hate that too. I use webwasher which can sometimes stop that from happening. Oh, and for any of you paraniod people out there, you don't have to put your correct e-mail address. lol. I HATE spam with a passion. I "unsubscribe" from everything I get the chance to (and it does help to an extent). Ummmm....personally, the only thing I thought about doing with the results was to post the averages and such so everyone could see how well they did respectively. I was thinking about copying the board and posting it on a PC rumor board so we could compare results. I'm not sure what board yet, but I made this quiz over a month ago for my friends. lol. I was on a kick about learning about computers. Then the other day, someone made the comment about PC users not usually knowing about computers all that much, and it reminded me of my quiz, so I decided to post it for your enjoyment so that if anyone had questions about common misconceptions, they might be able to learn from the quiz. Sorry if anyone thinks I am a suspicious person. Hey, if you really wanna talk to me about anything, I have always provided as much support as possible. I've even given out my SN for AIM: KingArthur10, so if you wanna *itch me out on that, feel free. I was merely trying to share interesting information (well, info I found to be interesting) with everyone on the board.

[edit] Oh, and I don't really worry about popups and ads much at all b/c I have webwasher. It does a pretty good job filtering those out. Honestly, I made this for fun and didn't mean for anyone to get upset with me if their browser hangs. I guess out of the over 100 times the test has been taken, a handful of people have problems. Wish I could help, but I have no idea about what is wrong.

13. KingArthur thread starter macrumors regular

Ok. Well, I too just took the quiz, and guess what? It won't work for me now, either. I just checked and there are exactly 100 people who took the quiz, so I am wondeirng if it has to do with that fact. Maybe 100 is the max. I dunno. If you'd all like, I'll try and make the questions and answers available for you all soon. I'm really sorry for that. Shoot. That really pisses me off.

14. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

goes to 99% and get that same error message. :-(

15. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You "unsubscribe" to everything you get a chance to? Everyone with the sense God gave red brick knows that you never ever under any circumstances unsubscribe to unsolicited anything. When you unsubscribe, you verify that the solicitation was successfully sent to a valid email address.

16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

that's correct. even opening a message that contains HTML code can let them know your address is valid; the images that load are tracked by their server. best to get a good junk filter and ride it out, wait until your address falls off the lists.

which unfortunately is usually never...

spam really pisses me off.

pnw

17. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

same stupid error for me too. mandrake 9.0 on a ibm thinkpad with mozilla 1.3

kinda cool that the Flash 6 for linux gives exact same error though...

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The RAM bus does not have to run synchronously with the front side bus, which is another pathway altogether.

19. KingArthur thread starter macrumors regular

lol. You all may think me crazy for doing that, but it does keep things out of my inbox. I don't unsubscribe from EVERYTHING, but I do for most major things. Plus, I remove referrals before visiting any sites so I am not tracked by e-mail. lol. And yeah, I think the problem is with the site not being able to handle more than 100 people for one quiz, so I am going to try to set up a web page with it in the next week or so.

I wasn't saying that the RAM Bus has to be syncronized with the FSB, but rather, I am not sure if the 167Mhz bus is just the FSB or not. I think it is. lol. Anyway, I am tired and am going to be up all night drinking tomorrow night, so I bid thee all adeu for the next few days until I get back.

20. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

SPAM

I've recently bought Spamfire and it does a good job in firewalling things to prevent web bugs from confirming your email addresses before you delete it.

*** Ironically, I find that Apple's emails contain web bugs!

The fun part about this anti-Spam software is that it also has The Revenge Menu :)

FWIW, its also a good idea to not list your email address "cleanly" on webpages - this is another common place that the spammers harvest from, and its where I'm pretty sure most of my garbage gets generated from. Matterhorn's solution to this is their "Spam Vaccine" product for altering the HTML.

I've owned both for a couple of months now. IMO, both products worth the few bucks that they ask for them.

-hh