Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
Me likes. I think your family would really enjoy watching it. I thought the song fit the footage well IMO. What program did you use?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks!! I used Final Cut Pro, but you could do the same thing in iMovie. (Other than a little color correction and picture enhancement here and there.)

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
Nice job
Thought I was watching the Wonder Years there for a second
Kind of cool what you can do now. I imagine the family will absolutely love it

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
faintember said:
Nice Job! Great song choice, and the video was cool in itself. Nice job working with the visual flow IMHO.

The only downside is it made me want to watch The Wonder Years! Man i love that show!
Seriously! That has to be in the top 3 or 5 best shows ever made.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
That's great. :)

My family's wanting me to do the same thing from some old footage but I'm pretty low on time at the moment. How long did it take you to whip up and about how long do you think it could take a novice comme moi?

macvac

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2005
Midwest USA
Awesome

My Granmother's house burned down in '92 before anyone had the opportunity to do that...great job and I'm sure it will be extremely special to all. :eek:

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Awesome Job.

I'm planning to do the same for a Christmas present for the folks. Sountrack was perfect....I may use that somewhere as well.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Great stuff. I was born just about that time. Well maybe a little after. I would guess that stuff was around '58, maybe early 60's. I would have loved to be like 30 years old during that time. Everyone seemed happier :eek:

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
That is a tremendous piece of work. I very much enjoyed watching it; I can only imagine what it must be like to watch it when you know who the people are. Very inspirational-- it may be time for me to start converting that drawer full of VHS-C tapes and editing.

Espnetboy3

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2003
First off I enjoyed it alot, I love that old 8mm film look. Secondly what did you use to convert the footage? A dv bridge or something or did u send it out to be converted? Also how much original footage did u start with.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Heb,
Really nice work. Good pace and movement and it's a good song, it pops. Wonder Years, Christmas Story and a little October Sky nuance. That'll be a family treasure to keep...and share. Did you use Keynote for a skin?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Nice stuff - when was most of it shot? It made me wonder if all the video I'm taking today will have the same nostalgia feel in 40 years or so that that does today :D

D

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Wow thanks guys, I never expected such a good response! There have been a lot of questions since I posted last so let me see if I can answer them...

For export I used 3ivx MPEG-4 codec, I've found that one gives me excellent results with small file sizes and it plays in Quicktime and on PCs in WMP natively. (And it encodes MUCH faster then H.264)

Most of the footage was shot between the years of about 1964-1974, with a few shots in the end from later, around 1978/9 or so.

How did I convert the footage? ;) Well what made it really easy was that my grandparents had their 8mm footage converted to VHS about 10 years ago, so I just grabbed it off a VHS tape. Went VCR->Camcorder as DV Bridge-> Powerbook.

macvac, Man I'm sorry to hear about losing your family's stuff in that fire. Thats the stuff you can't replace.

As for how long did it take? Well capturing the footage took about an 2 hours (set up plus 95 minutes of video). After that, I'd guess it took me about 3 hours. I think a lot of it depends on how much original footage you have and how long the final video need to be. Deciding what to leave out was difficult. After I went through and got all the potentially usable clips, I had about 9 minutes of footage, which I then had to shrink down to 5 min.

As with most video projects, it can take as much time as you want to spend tweaking, but at some point you just have to be happy with what you have. :D

Thanks again guys!

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Revising my guess on the year! I didn't watch all the way through the first time. That car in the driveway looks like a '65 Falcon maybe? Anyways, I would have been 5 in 1965. Some of that footage looked familiar actually :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.