What do you think of the Revolution's controller?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Sep 15, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I have mixed fellings... Its kind of odd looking... It may work well though...

Here it is... Hi-rez coming soon...

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

They sure think different ^_^

Hurray! There's a silver colored one so it will fit with the rest of my electronics :D

Attached Files:

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Spoken like a true fanboy :D

Looking forward to more info on this puppy. Could be really good, could be all kinds of funked up. I'll trust in the big N until more data is out.

4. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I can't imagine how i'd be like trying to play smash bros. revolution on this thing...

5. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Seems cool. I like the intuitive nature of the whole thing. My mom will LOVE the revolution! I can remember my grandpa refusing to use a computer because there was no "remote." Brilliant move Nintendo! I guess we all know that the so-called "insiders" were full of crap.

Think different, right!?!

6. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

One point to remember is that likely the controller's buttons and sticks are going to auxiliary while the real method of input will be the motion sensors.

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

same with me, i love the look ^_^

8. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143782

OH GOD.

I don't have a PS2 or XBox or GCN, so I more or less skipped out on this gen. I will, WILL be buying this within 3 months of release, however, as both a new gaming system and as my method of playing the past 5 years of Gamecube classics I've missed.

I still need to get a DS, too.

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

To be honest, I'm actually very disappointed. Think of how many types of games won't work with this kind of set up (baseball and football games come to mind). And I think it'll be too weird for the average person to just pick up. I think this would have been much better implemented as a normal-style controller that had a motion sensor, too.

I always liked Nintendo the most, but they occasionally weirded me out with stuff like the bongo drums or the Virtual Boy. I know the drums were a great success, but when I play a video game, I don't really want to do anything physical. I just want to press a few buttons. Sure, you need to be creative with your system to stay in the game, but not too out there.

I really hope that Nintendo can convince me that this setup will work or else I think for the first time ever, I won't buy a Nintendo at all in favor of another system.

10. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

The controller is designed for additional inputs and accessories and Nintendo will almost certainly create a "traditional" style controller for those not wanting a motion controller. Dance, Dance Revolution is a pretty physically involving game, and that's been successful, so who knows.

11. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. Very good read. Makes you understand how the controller works. I would love to try that metroid prime version *drool*

12. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

How will we play N64 and SNES games on this, you ask? Simple, Nintendo is going to resell EVERY SINGLE CONTROLLER THEY'VE EVER MADE!!!! They will sell little adapters that allow old controllers to be plugged into the 'remote.' I guess I'm buying new N64 and SNES controllers then.

Nintendo is going to make SOOO much money on this thing. Brilliant, simply brilliant. :eek:

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

That isn't mentioned in the IGN article (I don't think, correct me if I'm wrong) and I just read the 1up article, but yeah, that would definitely be nice. But now I think that it may get confusing having all these attachments for different games. But I guess we just have to wait and see what happens. I hope I'm wrong about it all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I HATE DDR... :)

14. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

And yeah, I'm not a big fan of DDR either (though it's fun to watch people without any rhythm try and play it) :D. But it's an example like Donkey Konga where more physical involvement has worked.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

this controller is amazing. its so small and sleek, even the controller looks no bigger than the NES controller. and the Revs size too? tiny!

loving it.

the possibilities here are near endless. this really is a revolution. *laughs at all those old controllers in glee*

16. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Mixed feelings. Mostly because I have not picked it up and used it.

My feelings on controllers are this; you pick it up and after that, you should never have to notice it again. All your focus should be on the game itself. A game controller serves one thing only - functionality. The less attention you have to pay to the controller, the better. Obviously this is the 1st time we have seen something like this, so we will look at it once we get it. But, once we fire up the games, it has to fit and become one with us.

I will have to see how the games play with this.

My main worry: 3rd party support. Will 3rd party developers go for it? Will they utilize it? Will it be easy to tweak and change their software for when it hits the Revolution?

I don't know. I can only hope it will.

17. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Yes. I look forward to my four Nintendo titles and two third-party titles.

My guess is - a lot of games will make use of the 'it-still-accepts-GC-controllers' feature...

That controller will just be too awkward for a lot of traditional games.

I can't help but imagine how irritating it's going to be - trying to play a game like that for hours on end. My hand would be tired after a few minutes of that.

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Oh! and for those who wonders how they will play more traditional games, let's not forget that the Revolution has 4 Gamecube controller ports. So no worries here. I have always loved the Gamecube controller the best. This is an easy way for lazy developpers to port their games to the Rev ;)

Now if they could only give me a release date and price so I can pre-order :D

Edt: crachoar, looks like we thought alike. (on that Gamecube controller ports part)

19. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

20. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Well, the idea of a mouse and graphical user interface for computers seemed pretty ridiculous at the time...

21. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Hate to throw water on the Nintendo lovefest here...

...but I can't help but think that they're going to have a hard time selling consoles when the main selling point looks like a kiddie remote controller.

As much as I want to see this take off, I fear this will drive Nintendo deeper into the niche it keeps on digging for itself in the gaming industry. Are third party developers going to jump on this? My gut feeling is no.

22. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think it could work depending on how well game designers impliment it. it has the posibility for being really cool for a lot of different genres. man FPS with that thing could be pretty sweet. maybe even giving the mouse some competition. SSB the whole controller would be your c-stick. ha. of course if it's not calibrated (or whatever) right or the game designers suck at matching up the movement of the controller with movement on screen or on screen action it could be bad. of course i'm actually a fan of including a little more physical stuff with video games. i mean people clamor for graphics and stuff, the whole "realism" thing, when really you're sitting on your butt pushing buttons. this has the possibility to make for some really great gaming experiences. hopefully it won't turn into a gimmick. i'm for it.

maybe the next Nintendo won't sell the most systems, but maybe that's not their goal, to just make money, or to do cool things just so that in the end they make money. maybe it's to just try and do some cool things, taking gaming forward, and if money happens to be made then good for them. like with the iPod. i don't really think Apple designed it thinking this was going to be the next big thing, or the huge seller it was. they just tried to do the MP3 player really well and look it caught on.

i've never owned a consol ever. but i've played a few.

23. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I just thought about one application for this style controller... sports games. Not to sure how helpful it'd be for basketball, but hockey and football games will be cool... being able to pass and shoot by moving your hand in the exact direction and speed you want the puck to move in an NHL game, or throwing the football to the desired receiver in the same fashion will make the games much more interesting, imo.

24. Rovias macrumors member