What do you think of this 12" iBook on eBay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shuffle1, Jan 17, 2005.

1. shuffle1 macrumors member

Hi Gang,

I've been looking at getting a iBook or PB for video/dvd creation and was wondering what you guys thought of this modified iBook. He always has one of these on eBay, and they always seem to go for around $1800. Do you think it's worth it, with all of the enhancements and software (which he says is legal)? Is battery life going to be greatly affected by the 7200 RPM HD? Would it be better to just get a PB, for the price? Thanks so much for your opinions on this.

shuffle1

PS: The link to the item is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4602&item=5157388839&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Well, the jury is out on 7200rpm drives in a PB or iB, more for heat issues. And Barefeats did tests that showed that 5400rpm vs. 7200rpm, the 7200 did not offer much more in performance.

The software is an another issue that I have problems with. Not sure that it is a legal as he is painting it.

3. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

1) I'd be concerned about his eBay record. He hasn't sold many items. He's only done 37 total transactions.

2) It seems improbable that the software is legal... That's a lot of software to include.

3) Usually too good to be true is too good to be true.

4. mikeyfern macrumors member

Well, all of those mods means no warranty. I doubt it's that much faster than a powerbook with a 5400 rpm drive. These are the parts that must be taken with a huge grain of salt.

"Up to 10x FASTER THAN EVEN A DESKTOP G4/G5!!"

"I have disabled the sleep mode when you close the lid"
    That might be a fire hazard...

"casual support package is complimentary to the buyer of the iBook!"
    Is that a warranty?

"Multi-Licensed software"
    AKA pirated copies.

Does it make smoothies too?
    Do you have to send a cashier's check to Nigeria to buy this thing?

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... While the included software definitely isn't legal, and the firmware hacks could prove to be more dangerous than helpful, the guy does have 100% positive feedback, even if there are only 37 of them. His bidders seem to be varied, and one of them even had 3000+ feedback. Sounds like a relatively safe bid, as long as you're not worried about the thing catching fire that one day you close the lid expecting it to sleep, and forget it's on caffeine :rolleyes: