What do you think of threads in languages other than English?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaty, Aug 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaty macrumors 65816

As you can see in this originally Spanish thread that went completely off topic and turned into a discussion on whether non-English threads should be allowed or not, this question seems to be important for at least a few members of the community

So what is your opinion, should members be allowed to use any language they chose?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83391

(BTW, I'm not innocent either, that that thread got carried away :) )

I think that English is the main language of this forum and general discussions on news bits or rumours in the "News and Article Discussion" should exclusively be in English so that everyone can follow the thread. However I don't mind if community discussions are in different languages. I don't hope the "language factor" will cause any problems and all members can enjoy their visits on Macrumors.

2. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I think ppl should be able to post in whatever language they want... on a site designed to target that audience/etc...

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

4. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Absolutely they should. It doesn't harm anyone so why should it even be an issue.

5. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

You don't have to repeat your views, I just thought we should open up this discussion to the general public.

6. sjjordan macrumors 6502

Have you ever been in a group when other people start talking in a language you don't know? You don't exactly feel welcome and obviously can't contribute.

The whole purpose of the forums is so that people can contribute/interact in a beneficial way. If I ask a question about program x, maybe only 25% of the readers can help, but 100% of the readers can read the post. A post in another language instantly removes a large majority of the readers, who want to help if possible, from contributing anything. I, personally, find that frustrating.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, let's open up some threads in languages the moderators don't speak so some members can play some games.

I'm quite sure some of the threads that have been quickly closed in English would thrive in another language -- even though they violate the rules.

So no need to keep the threads limited to the languages the mods speak.

---

Imagine the threads mymemory would open if the mods didn't know what he was doing... [​IMG]

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know that thank you. As I siad in the other thread I'm not going through it all again here. Which is why all I was posting in this thread is that if anyone actually gives a stuff what I think (and honestly why would they?), then they are in the other thread to be seen.

9. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

Calm down man, I was just explaining why I started another thread.

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Dude, I'm calm...

DUDE!!!....DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

11. Zaty thread starter macrumors 65816

That's a good point, though

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I guess I don't particularly mind (not that I have any clout here anyhow) if there are threads in foreign languages... however I don't see why a thread in a foreign language isn't posted on another board of that languages type. If you want to know if other people speak Spanish, ask. If you want to know why your Mac is goofing up, post it in English. What is the benefit of posting in Spanish to the community as a whole? All it does for most of us is put a new post/thread on the main page that we can't read anyway. Is there something you can only say in Spanish? I just don't get it I guess.

I'm not so sure it bothers me so much as I don't see the need for it. I'm sure there are Spanish Mac sites out there... by all means if you want to know if other people speak Spanish, just ask. Otherwise... why bother?

Note: I'm just picking Spanish as an example.

13. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I'm on your side, and agree with you... No need to target me Gina

14. iGav macrumors G3

It doesn't especially bother me if people want to post in other languages, it just means that I won't be able to participate in those particular threads that I don't understand.

I pretty much agree with what SilentPanda has said above though.

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I find it to be a mistake to allow such, even while I find the intent of such threads to be benign.

While I was an Op on an IRC channel, we were on a machine hosted by Europeans. Several times people would wander into the channel and greet us with their sweetest words. Since many of us were multi-lingual, the visitors were pushed out immediately with a warning to not return.

It's true that much of the world doesn't speak English, but there are forums in many languages. I personally have been on Japanese, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Swedish, and Spanish Mac forums. If someone truly wants forums in their own language, they should be able to find them with a little research.

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't care what languages people use in their threads as long as the majority stay in English - the lingua franca of this forum.

Since the purpose of this forum is to discuss rumors and to help others in the Mac community, most of the threads and posts need to remain written in English.

And, agreed - no posts in languages the mods don't speak.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

My take is that if you're determined to post in a language that the majority of people on the site don't speak, don't be surprised when the majority don't answer your posts. *shrug*

I do think that News and such should be in English. But again, if you try to submit a News item in a language the moderators don't speak, don't be surprised if it doesn't get posted.

If there were to be a significant portion of posters using a particular non-English language, though, they effectively create their own subcommunity within the site, shutting everyone else out and preventing the moderators from doing their jobs. That's where it starts getting out of hand. Other U.S.-based online communities have been hijacked this way, and I'd hate to see that to happen to MacRumors.

18. crookedcharlie macrumors member

I don't understand why people have this desire to create subgroup after subgroup in our culture. We're on a mac site that is in English. Why do you have to distance yourself by posting in another language? I don't care if people bost in Farsi, English, or whatever, but the reason I like Macrumors is the sense of COMMUNITY about it. I don't understand why anyone would want to exclude themselves from it. Whatever...

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

To be a community there should be a common language. Aviation adopted English for that very reason, so that all can understand the information presented. If the amount of other languages increased then it would cause of feeling of being left out. For the safety of this forum there should be a moderator that understands the language being used.

20. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's exactly it. In particular, the post starting the drug thread did include a phrase that, if written in its equivalent tone in English, would not be allowed here. In other words, it amounts to circumventing the profanity filter. I believe that this rule was supposed to apply to all of us, not just those writing in English.

21. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i don't really mind, i don't or can't read the threads in other languages so i pass over them. It would be good if they were kept seperate, it would help everyone to find or avoid them. As long as we don't get people posting replies in multiple languages. ie an english thread with other language replies. That'd just be confusing as hell!

22. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Each thread is it's own world, and it's a BIG world out there. Welcome strangers from a far land! Of course mixing the two would be chanchit an lakad nad yelkin dom noos jeeba natrabatam.

23. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

MRA“ú–{Œê‚̃|ƒXƒg•\Ž¦‚Å‚«‚é‚Ì‚©‚ȁH

:p

as a diversion, i can see some community discussions being carried out in non-English language. but as a whole, i think there's little benefit to have threads in foreign languages. i agree that if i wanted discuss Mac stuff in japanese, i should go find a japanese Mac forum. (and oh boy, there are many...)

of course, i can think of some exceptions... if a non-newbie wanted to ask a question about a particular language installation of OS X, for example, then he/she should be able to post the problem details in the particular language. (i said non-newbie because perhaps he/she's already used to coming to MR and wouldn't want to pose the question in a brand new forum when he/she already knows there are people from the relevant country here at MR.)

24. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Hay dude come on... the Spanish treads are basically cheese topics and people are just practicing the language.

I would like to see some german threads as well as long they can help me out with the german language as people collaborate in the spanish threads.

Usual;ly and Spanish therad is some one talking about something and the rest is just chacking his/her spelling and grammar. Entendiste?

25. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

No one is excluded, it is a community not a dictatorship, free will. There are one or two therads in Spanish and that is ok for me. In case they were in German or French I would just skip them, is not such big deal. Live and let live.

Macrumors still a very nice community no mater the language, I can send you some links of some other communities that even they are in English are very nasty. As I say, live and let live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.