What do you think of your iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cr2sh, Jan 14, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I'm considering purchasing a used iPod off ebay, the 5GB is getting quite cheap these days. My question is what do you think of yours? Is 5GB too small, do you find yourself managing the collection of mp3's? Does anyone own a 5GB that wishes they would have gone for the 10 or 20gig? Also are the harddrives standard 2.5" IDE drives? Anyone have experience with changing iPod hardrives? Thanks.
    -c

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I love my 5 GB iPod, and it has plenty of space for the music I have (about 3.5 GB), but I wouldn't plan on changing the hard drive. There's no easy way into an iPod, and no guarantee that it will go back together. If you can get it for a good price, go for it!

JW

3. brogers macrumors regular

Love my 5 gig as well. It is great for books from Audible.com and my music collection. I use a Palm 515 so I have not really see any need for the extras like address book and calander features. Nice to have for other though. I bought the new black case from Apple and wired remote. I love the thing.

4. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I have a 5GB version, and it's great. if you have more than 4.5 GB of MP3s, get the 10 or 20 GB. But for me, half the time I am skipping songs, (I have it on random play) because I know there is something better amongst the 700+ songs. I guess my point is, I have ALL my music on my Mac, and then keep the songs I REALLY like on the iPod, because if I just dump everything for the sake of having it, I spend more time pushing skip, than listening to music.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I have had my iPod for like 4 days now, got the 10 gig because it's thinnest... i think they use 1.8" drives... anyway, i'm not even 3 gig full, but i've been down---er, ripping CD's like crazy lately... i'll say this, the iPod has made me rediscover music. truely. I'd imagine i'll eventually max it out, but i have a lot of songs i never listen to, and could get the axe easily. I'm definitely getting an FM modulator soon, not only for car use but for listening to music with friends without having to mess with audio cables...

I think you'll be very happy with even a 5 gig, tho i don't know that you'll be thrilled with the moving scroll wheel-- one of my favorite features of my iPod is the trackpad wheel...

:)
    pnw

6. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

I've got a 10 gig iPod with about 8 gigs used on it already and I absolutely love it.

I bring it to work everyday and hook it up to the speakers at my computer. The thing works like a charm.

I haven't had any problems with it and would recommend it to anyone.

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have a 10gb ipod that i use about 6gb of... 5gb should be plenty for the average user, unless you plan on using it as a Firewire HD as well.

8. Timothy macrumors 6502

Love my 20 gig...

I love my 20 gig iPod. Easily one of the most important pieces of technology I've ever purchased.

I have about 14 gigs of stuff on my iPod. My entire collection of music, of course. BTW, why is it important to have the entire collection? It's hard to explain until you have it. But, in short, never having to worry about grabbing that CD or the other when you walk out the door is great.

But, my iPod became extremely valuable to me once I rated all of my music in iTunes. iTunes lets you put a rating of 1 to 5 stars. Here's my system: 1 star, soon to be deleted from my system, 2 stars, it's on trial, 3 stars and higher are solid additions to my collection. Then, I create "smart" playlists in iTunes (e.g., a list for all 4+ rated songs, or, even cooler, combining with genre's, all 3+ "indie" songs).

So, now the iPod downloads these playlists, and I have a music list that is autogenerated from my entire collection. I am able to listen to a random sampling (of 400+ songs) of only those songs that are my absolute favorite. It is a somewhat surreal experience listening to that many of my favorites in a row.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Suffice it to say that I LOVE my iPod. ;-)

9. jaguarx macrumors regular

Absolutely brilliant. i love my 20G, it goes with me everywhere. I use around 12G, 5G is nowehre near enough for me.
    Pity it scratches so easily, my only complaint.

10. PeteyNice macrumors newbie

I have a max'd out 5GB iPod and I do not know how I got along without it. I used to use MP3 CDs which just cannot compare.

As for what size is right for you, check your music collection and multiply by like 1.25 or 1.5.

Changing drives is difficult and expensive. iPods use expensive 1.8" drives. AFAIK, Toshiba is the only one who makes them and a bare drive costs as much as an equivalently sized iPod.

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

Very true. Apple could have used the 2.5 inch Hard Drives for their iPods if Apple wanted their iPods to be carried around in boxes instead of coat pockets. :)

I also recommend, if you are going to become a hardcore iPod user (you'll know when you own one :)), checking out these tips I typed up a while back to get the most out of your battery life, including being able to play MPEG-2 support.

The Ten Tips

12. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Didn't you read the disclaimer; don't steal music, if we can't trsut the honor system who can we trust?

13. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow, that is hardcore! Thanks for the thoughts/advice guys! the search continues...

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

<ashamed>

everything i download is stuff i've had on CD at some point, and the disc simply got scratched up beyond playability or broken. So it's legal for me to have it, even if the act of getting it isn't... i find that very little music that's come out lately is any good, so it's not really even tempting...

</ashamed>

does anyone else feel like they should include a disk access indicator icon in up by the battery icon, to let people know exactly when you're spinning up? it'd be a nice feature to impliment in iPod v1.3.

:)
    pnw

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

>does anyone else feel like they should include a disk access indicator icon in up by the battery icon, to let people know exactly when you're spinning up? it'd be a nice feature to impliment in iPod v1.3.

Great point. Now how is Apple going to fit that into a 20 by 10 (probably less) pixel area? Honestly, I feel that's going to be a damn tight squeeze.

Taking that into consideration, how is this for a mock-up, as well as adjusting the iPod interface? Each layout is 160 bt 128 pixels.

Attached Files: