What do you think they should include in the next macbook/pro revision?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitromaster, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

They should increase the macbooks max ram to 3gb, add the GMA X3000.

I think they should have a mid range laptop between the macbook and macbook pro with a graphics chip.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

12"er and possibly tablet...I would like to see the magnetic closing system on the Pro, like the macbook has...

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

For the MacBook Pro- a faster GPU and support for 4GB of RAM.

4. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Screen-size aside, isn't that the only difference? In other words, how would the mid-range laptop be any different from the low end MBP?

Personally, I don't there's a gap for another machine between the high-end MB and the Low-End MBP. Although a lot of people do want a 12 incher.

5. BigPrince macrumors 68020

6. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

eSATA ports on the mbp (still keep firewire 400 and 800).

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

To celebrate the launch of Leopard's resolution independence, higher resolution screens (say 1440x900 for the 13" MacBook, 1680x1050 for the 15" MBP, 1920x1200 for the 17" MBP) and stronger GPUs (wouldn't mind if it was only a slight bump) along the whole MacBook family. Oh and a 13" MBP which differentiated itself through the case, more ports, stronger processor, dedicated GPU, more standard RAM, backlit keyboard and brighter screen would be nice. :)

8. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Higher RAM capacity, better GPU, higher resolution screen for HD - would be cool to see them add LED backlit displays too and smaller things like magnetic latch and user removable HDD.

Then, later on, comes the Santa Rosa platform. :eek: That'll be one heck of a computer.

The future looks very bright for the Macbook Pros!

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

11. giganten macrumors 6502a

I would be happy whit a GMA X3000 on the Macbook.

12. OwlsAndApples macrumors 6502a

OwlsAndApples

Definitely LED screen and the oh-so-simple magnetic latch :)

13. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I want Santa Rosa. That's pretty much it. The mag-latch would be nice. I just want low power consumption and speed. If Santa Rosa is annouced in the next MBP I will definitely get one. No more waiting.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. It wouldn't be shabby at all and would give me a great reason to upgrade from the MacBook I have now. It would at least run Aperture well. :eek:

On the other hand, if the MBPs came out with LED backlights, then I'd probably get a MBP.

15. bloogersnigen macrumors regular

bloogersnigen

bigger hard drive. thats really not apple's fault though. high resolution screen, more ram, and better gpu would be awesome as well though

16. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

17. mindsplit macrumors newbie

better battery life on the macbooks and pro and a better integrated graphics card or the option of a lightweight 128 graphics card and an option of matte on the macbooks along with the option of 15 inch macbook.

better graphics card on the pro, support to more than 3 GB, and santa rosa of course. magnetic latch on the pro. better resolution for res independence and esata connection.

and lastly, making a tablet

18. Heston macrumors regular

Better Graphics

Ok, here's my list. First, I would like a better GPU - there's so many out there and it can't be too hard to convert them to the Mac platform. Second, if they're going to come out with a Blue Ray or HD disk drive, they better put in a higher def. screen to accomodate. Third, I would like to see them start using SATA II. Fourth, CPU bump in performance. Fifth, decrease the size of the transformer. And finally, where did the mag latch go? I want that back.

So, please Santa, make all of this happen at once.

19. primalman macrumors 6502a

RE: What do you think they should include in the next macbook/pro revision?

Free pastrami sandwiches and low-fat chips.

20. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Some kind of built-in folding handle that also tilts the back of the laptop up for a better keyboard position, I have one installed on my Powerbook but I'd like one that folds into the computer the way the original clamshell did.

21. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

oo that GMA X3000 sounds ideal for the macbook & mini.

come on apple. give me an excuse to get rid of my current black one :D (dead HDD & logic board obviously not being enough ;) )

22. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

23. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Built in eSATA would be cool, but an ExpressCard/34 should take care of that. If Apple would just make some decent ExpressCards for us (eSata, iPod Dock connector, GPS, EVDO, EDGE, GSM/3G etc), that would be ideal. 3rd party is fine, but Apple should really take the time to kick start the innovation. Its been a year and still these cards seem more rare than the PC Cards they are meant to replace.

Along that line of thought, I'd like to see the ExpressCard reach into the MacBook line so we have a chance of getting an integrated cell modem or FW800.

I'm okay with the MacBook not having real graphics, but why should a pro use have to make do with a 15" screen when they really want something like 10-12". Either Apple will bump up a top of the like 13" MB to Pro levels, or it will go for a smaller tablet form factor for the MBs. Imagine the MBs all having touch screens and the MBPs all having standard keyboards. Then we could get a 12" MBP and not cannibalize the 13" MBs' sales.

I think it is pretty clear that there is a touch screen Mac coming and its going to be a portable device. Based on the demos I've seen online, all the interaction so far seems very consumer oriented, so a MacBook upgrade would make sense. When the Pro apps start accepting multiple user inputs, then maybe the MBP will upgrade.

24. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2/SN359380002126483 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

An express card slot would be nice in the macbook.
    I hope its more than a processor and wireless card update.
    Apple care has gone up in price from 260 euro to 300euro here.
    Hope that doesnt happen again.

25. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Just curious how do you post wirelessly?

Anyway I think the Macbook already has a express card slot, it is called the Macbook Pro. You can also buy Applecare for laptops cheaply from American sellers on eBay.