What do you think will happen if the iBook gets Discontinued?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jodge407, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Jodge407 macrumors member

May 28, 2003
    USA Orginally UK
    I was thinking today what would happen if the iBooks got discontinued. The only thing I could think of is that the Powerbook prices will be lower.

Do you think we will see the iBooks disappear or do you think they have some staying power?
  2. job macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2002
    in transit
    apple has to keep the low cost ibook line. powerbooks are far too expensive for the simple word processing and surfing which the ibook is intended for. if a college student doesn't need all the features or the raw horsepower of the powerbook line, he/she won't have anything to choose from if the ibook line is discontinued.
  3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    They'd have to cancel the year of the notebook.
  4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i don't see the ibook line getting cancelled anytime within the next couple years. there is still a lot of demand for low cost notebooks that just can get the basic computing experience down.
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    II have mentioned this on a couple of threads now:
    iBook G3 White plastic will vanish quickly. I love it though, I got a 700 Mhz one myself.
    The new iBook is already out there: PB 12".. it's perfect: Low cost G4, beautiful to look at, nothing too fancy, but a very, very nice laptop to have!
    I expect the first G4 iBook to be a 1GHz G4 7455 (maybe no L3 cache, to lower the cost, and make a difference with a PowerBook G4)..... Let this be the last sub-1 GHz PPC Apple has to sell.

No facts, just a hunch :)
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Right now the iBook includes the consumer oriented software package and OS9 bootability.

While the end of the iBook would signal the end of OS9 bootability, the same couldn't be said for the software package.

If they included AppleWorks and games/education stuff on all the computers it would be a moot point. But the software package is important.

One FAQ is always -- I bought a PowerBook where is AppleWorks?
  7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Didn't you get M$ Office free trial instead?
    Unlucky.... ha ha
  8. tjwett macrumors 68000

May 6, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Why would the iBook get discontinued? I don't understand the premise of this post, I don't really see the point since the iBook isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

While were at it though, what if the world stops spinning tomorrow? :confused:
  9. AppleManEric macrumors newbie

Aug 24, 2003
    what if they want a bigger screen but are on a tight budget?
  10. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    Re: What do you think will happen if the iBook gets Discontinued?

apple needs a consumer priced model like the ibook in their line; not everyone can afford 1599 for a laptop; for many 999/1299 is the perfect price point, such as for college/HS students.
  11. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    The sun will go out before iBooks are discontinued.