what do you think will happen with apple laptops this spring?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Mar 16, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

1) speed bump/new features in the current G4 laptops?

2) a dual G4 processor model(s)?

3) G5 laptop?

thoughts?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: what do you think will happen with apple laptops this spring?

1) speed bump/new features in the current G4 laptops?

---

Expect some problems with yield during the .09 transition, seems Apple is about due for their next MHz drought -- wounder how long it'll last. [​IMG]

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I read this in Forbes earlier today:
    The reason Apple hasn't updated the product line is simply because they are clearing stock. Once all the laptop stock is gone, they will drop the iBook and the PowerBook and exclusively produce desktops. "Laptops are for PC users," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs said, "Apple needs to concentrate on creating an amazing line of desktop computers. If people want a laptop, I hear IBM's Thinkpad is pretty darn good!"

Please note: The above text is a joke.

4. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

don't mess with me like that man!!!!!

i had felt like i just got punched in the gut and wasnt expecting it!

5. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping a G5 laptop, but that's going to take quite a while to come out probably.

BEN

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I suspect we may see a slight speed-bump of the G4 Powerbooks very soon, then the G5 'books in the fall...just my guess anyway....oh yeah!

7. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I think it's probably more likely that Apple will go another 3-4 months with the current line-up and then put out the PowerBook G5. They went that long with the last generation of 15" TiBooks, and I could see them waiting that long again. Plus, I just don't see the point speed-bumping the current line to 1.5 GHz when the G5 is so close. Who would buy it when it's obvious that the G5 must be coming to the pro laptops soon. I just hope that all of this happens soon, because Apple also needs to update the iBook soon. Come to think of it, they also need to update the PowerMac and the eMac, too...

8. Opteron macrumors 6502

The G5 is a must, AMD has 64-bit chips in laptops (at very reasonable prices) [​IMG] (I'll be getting one of these)

The G4 is dieing, I WANT IT DEAD

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Spring, USA spring...mmm...I suspect minor G4 upgrade. No way a dual.
    G5, not until at least Summer unless they are working miracles.

I want my G5PB! :mad:

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

working miracles is something apple does from time to time...imac, ibook, osx, tibook, G5

if they did it more, they would catch the pc world in terms of speed and price

that being said, i think the 12" inch powerbook is a great machine dollar for dollar and it's light and thin

if not this spring, then perhaps summer sometime...i can't imagine waiting until christmas season

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm expecting a new G4 PB sometime after 27/3. Possibly on 30/3 because it's a Tuesday ;)

Edit: Forgot my justification. There are several promotions expiring on the 27th (cheap memory upgrades in the US, $99 iPods in NZ, and something in Australia too IIRC).

12. Zaty macrumors 65816

We'll probably see a speed bump for the current line up in April or early May. The specs could look like this:

12"
    1 GHz G4 (or 1.25, if feasible heatwise)
    256 MB RAM
    60 GB HD
    64 MB MB ATi Radeon 9600
    Airport Extreme ready
    Combo or Superdrive

15"
    1.25 GHz G4
    512 MB RAM
    60 GB HD
    64 MB ATi Radeon 9700
    Airport Extreme ready
    Combo
    Backlit keyboard optional

15"
    1.33 GHz G4
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
    Airport Extreme built-in
    Superdrive
    Backlit keyboard

17" 1.42 GHz G4
    512 MB RAM
    80 GB HD
    128 MB ATi Radeon 9700
    Airport Extreme built-in
    Superdrive
    Backlit keyboard

Prices: same for the 12", $100-300 less for the other models.

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

This would be a nice line up, but a G5 chip would make it excellent. Four RAM slots to boot.

An OEM deal with the new Office package would also help them compete with the PC laptop market - who all support cheap Office packages...

14. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    G5, though too mighty and powerful for the needs of most humans, will have to make it's way into the laptop this year.

We are nearly a quarter of the year through the 20th year of the Mac and only a iPodmini to show for it.

Laptops, summer.

15. win_convert macrumors member

What do you think that the price drop will be on the current model PBooks when the new ones came out.

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Hard to say as I am new to Macs. It maybe that G5s are signficantly more expensive and the G4s only drop say 10%. It maybe that sales and deals try to run them out before the G5PBs appear to clear inventory lines...

17. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The G4 is fine for the powerbooks until a more powerful mobile G5 cpu is available. It is probably just another year to 18 months before a killer G5 powerbook is available. Use a desktop G5 or G5 imac for your heavy processing tasks and use your powerbook for lighter tasks. PC laptops aren't that fast compared to PC desktops and they tend to be larger and have a noisy fan. I would rather have a sleek powerbook that is reliable and quiet and at least as powerful as a eMac at a price under $2,000. Good enough for general tasks.

18. Opteron macrumors 6502

I think your talking about an iBook.
    The PB is supposed t be for "power" users. The G5 is a must.

19. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I think you'll just see a speed bump in the G4 processor. It will probably be to 1.5 GHz with the 200 MHz FSB. A G5 PowerBook is out of the question for now even though many hope for it. The G5 produces way too much heat, and uses too much power right now. If you don't believe it uses that much heat...just look at the size of the heatsink on the PowerMac G5. Its basically as tall as the PowerMac is wide. I'm betting you won't see a G5 laptop until very late this year or early next year (MWSF '05).

The 15" and 17" laptops will probably run at 1.5 GHz while the 12" PowerBook will run at 1.33 GHz.

The iBook might see a slight speed bump up to maybe 1.25 GHz on the higher end with the lower end staying the same at 1 GHz.

When the PowerBook does go G5 then I think you'll see the iBook use this new G3 processor running at about the same speeds it has now, but with a 400 MHz FSB and Apple will just market it as the next generation G4. This chip should also be used in the eMac as well.

I just remembered Steve Jobs saying that we will see some cool new things with the G5 chip later this year! So maybe a G5 PowerBook is on the horizon, but I still think it won't be until very late this year, say late October early November.