What do you use automator for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Mar 27, 2006.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Aug 15, 2002
    What are some of the funny things you use automator for?

is there a good, quick, simple tutorial for it?

2. squirrel77 macrumors member

Mar 17, 2006
    Barcelona ES
    check out
    good place to get extra functionality from.

I know I didnt quite see how automator could be of that much help to start with but then when you start adding in extras you can see this could be very useful. Need to do something that performs actions on files i stick in a certain folder so that will be my next task.

The only thing I've used automator for so far is so that I can ctrl click an item in finder and send it via bluetooth to a default device and avoid having to go manually through the send file via bluetooth process.
  3. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    I used it to make a "send file to mail recipient" right click option as it was one thing I really missed from windows.
  4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

I've got a few iTunes automator plug ins that I use regularly.

I download legal music, they are big, long concerts.

usually they download as FLAC files. So, I batch convert them all with Xact.

leaving me with a bunch of AIFF files.

Each song is hardly ever labled with Artist, song, album ect...so I have to add that myself.

This is where Automator comes in.

I highlight all the songs, right click, and access my automator plugs.

Each one is for a different import format, mp3, aac, lossless, wav ect...

When I run the script, let's say for AAC.

it will convert all the files to AAC and import them into iTunes, then a pop up window will appear asking me to batch name the artist, album, genre ect...

then it will place all my new aac tracks into a new playlist it creates called (My AAC imports) so I can keep track of them all seperately. And finally it will add all the tracks to my iPod.

All with one click.

I love Automator.
  5. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Nov 21, 2002
    Automator really is one of those programs that I would like to be able to use more regularly. In concept it seems rather brilliant, I just haven't had the time to get around to using it frequently.

The link to automator world is great. Anyone else have similar sites to visit? I have checked out the space on Apple's site already.