Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locolako

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2006
How?!

The network drive is exactly what I would like to do, but how do I accomplish this?

Would I need a specific adapter or hard drive?

I am planing to use it as a file storage for my macbook, when I get it.

So how does one set this up?

eluk

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2006
East London, UK
The network drive is exactly what I would like to do, but how do I accomplish this?

Would I need a specific adapter or hard drive?

I am planing to use it as a file storage for my macbook, when I get it.

So how does one set this up?

Buy an external drive, firewire is best.
Plug in to mains (if required).
It appears mounted in Finder.

Job done.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
For Macs:
QNAP TS-101 - NAS. Very slow for transferring large chunks of data around. But pretty useful as it's packed with features, and being fanless, almost silent provided you choose the right drives so you can place them pretty much anywhere. I have two of these both with 400Gb drives. Mac printer sharing doesn't work, but everything else does.
Thecus NS5200 - NAS. Better, certainly more usable as storage & more reliable of course (I hope - it's fairly new) but still not what I could call server-fast. Currently with 4 x 500Gb drives in RAID5 (So actually 1.5Tb usable unformatted capacity). Not silent, so stuck in a closet. Currently debating whether to get silencing gurus onto it (thereby invalidating warranty).

Also...
Sony AITe200 - USB/Firewire tape backup drive. Plug & play so I can move it around from machine to machine.

For PC storage I used the services of a guy who hangs out at a PC silencing forum and commissioned a low-noise Windows Server 2003 machine from him. It took a while and went overbudget but I'm happy with the results. Unfortunately the only way I can get Macs to attach to it on my own terms is to install DAVE on them, which shuts off access to the NAS's from the Macs. I think I've figured out the problem but I haven't received a reply from Thursby. Until then, the Macs remain DAVEless and limited to the NASs.

I also have a few HDD enclosures, both USB/Firewire and USB only.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Part of the question you need to ask yourself is "why" are you going to an External HD?

Afterall, if it is for redundent backup, then two things manifest itself:

a) The backup should not be online all the time, since one power glitch can fry both original + backup.

b) Classical 'best practices' is to have 3 backup copies that you rotate through.

What I ended up doing was to go to an external HD with removable trays. One company that makes such a product is coolgear, aka cooldrives.

Basically, you buy one enclosure and then two additional HD sleds for it (total of 3 sleds), then go buy bare (internal) HD's and spend 10 minutes with a screwdriver to put the HD in the sled.

When I set mine up, I went with EIDE drives in the DK-9 enclosure, which has since been superceded by the DK-12.

If I were to do it all over again today, I'd probably try to find something that uses a FW800/400 ports and removable SATA drives, so that I can recycle old SATA's into backup drives, or be able to build them into a RAID 0, or whatever. Perhaps they have the perfect (for me) features combination, but I've not looked through their product pages lately.

-hh

Locolako

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2006
well I have 2 Maxtor one touches and they are both 200gb

Yet they don't have the ethernet connection, can I just buy an adapter?

Or should I just forget about the NAS? All I want to do is backup my video work, garageband work and photoshop work

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
cb-130%20clear.jpg

telecomkid

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2007
Full function NAS will be prefered

I would recommand QNAP's NAS. I have one TS-101 at home, it is quiet because of its unique fanless design. Besides for file storage, there are more applications such as BitTorrent download, photo albums, ftp server, and UPnP media server embedded...etc.
I put one TS-201 (2-bay) in my small office as a file server. Same feature with 1-bay one, and with hot swap & RAID1 mirroring. cool~

BryanP

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
60GB RAID 5 setup over the network for the sensitive files/documents

All media are just in my external WD MyBook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.