what do you use the colors for?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tuggy, Mar 26, 2005.

1. tuggy macrumors newbie

hello everyone

i've been trying to figure out what labels should i assign to each color label in finder.
    so far, i didnt came up with nothing useful for me as i put everything under different folders, so everything is always categorized :)
    i was just wondering what kind of labels do you have so that they are really useful, specially for the search function.

thanks

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I don't use those labels either. Don't need 'em.

3. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Personally I don't use them, but I don't really have a need to. They are a useful function to have available though.

:)

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

I use folders & subfolders so everything is well organized, but I have one or 2 folders where there are lot of projects (each in its own folder). I color-code the ones I work on frequently simply to make them easier to find. I like them, although if they were not there I probably wouldn't miss them too much.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't really use the labels for anything specific, but had a good minutes fun...

Attached Files:

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

At work, we use green for folders that contain work in progress, red for those that are complete and ready for archiving.

It helps to know when you go on someone else's machine to avoid messing with the red ones.

7. tuggy thread starter macrumors newbie

LOL, nice :)

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i sometimes use them to distinguish a specific file or folder from the rest in that window, because it's just so much faster to look for a color than a word (when you're dragging a file, for example, these few seconds count). But I don't really have a system for it, just ad-lib as necessary.

In OS 9, I do remember using labels for homework and school projects.

9. shortyman macrumors member

shortyman

Thats a really good system, might have to put something like that into use.

:)

10. brap macrumors 68000

I don't use colours to denote anything. It's more of an eyecatcher in a folder full of work, I usually highlight the ones most current.

11. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I usually label folders that need to be periodically backed up on external media.
    Labels are very useful for sorting large directories of images that are used for various projects. (trying sort through 100 or more tga files in order to find specific files for compiling a project can be fairly tedious without labels, and is one of the primary reasons I've always preferred to use my Mac for image editing)

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that Spotlight can make use of labels, so maybe they will be more useful in Tiger. Maybe something like My Rating in iTunes of iPhoto.

13. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

must be a london thang...red-to be archived, green- in progress....small world

really off topic but just wasted 40 minutes of my life watching the new Dr.Who...total pap

14. Cybernanga macrumors regular

No need to wait for Spotlight. Ever since labels have been available, it's been possible to search for files by their label with the Finder's "Find" command. :D

15. FasterSoonerNow macrumors member

On my Desktop, "Macintosh HD" has the Gray label, and my LaCie external HD has the Orange one, both to match their icons. :)