What do you use your second screen for?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    I've tried dual screen setups but I just can't seem to find a good use for the second screen. I mean I'd use it for PhotoShop but then I find I'm putting too much stuff on the second screen and it becomes to feel like I'm working off the second screen. So what do you use your second screens for, or 3rd for some of you?
  2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I have my iBook setup with an external 17". (iBook is on the left with an iCurve and 17" is on the right) On the iBook's screen I use it for iChat when I'm surfing the web or w.e. and in Photoshop, Keynote, pages, etc. I use it for the extra palettes.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    When I use two screens with my iBook, I tend to have the main document I'm working on take up most of the primary screen, and use the second screen to be able to keep Adium or Safari or iTunes up without having to keep flipping back and forth, so that I can read a website on and off, for instance, while writing.

But mostly, now, the time when I use multiple displays is Powerpoint 04 with a projector, and the presenter tools view. I *love* that feature. :)
  4. homerjward macrumors 68030

May 11, 2004
    fig tree
    right now my 2nd monitor is filled with itunes with the visualizer on, but usually i use it for flash, photoshop, etc. palettes, or for previewing a web page i'm working on on my main screen. my main screen is a 17" lcd and my 2nd is a lower-res 15" so usually the bigger things get my primary monitor. it's also nice for watching a movie full screen while doing other things.
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I only use two screens with a PC at work.

I tend to use them mainly so that I can spread an Excel spreadsheet across two screens.

The other times I find it useful is if I'm working on one thing and want to reference something quickly which I can have open on the other screen.
  6. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I keep my media player, instant messaging windows, and widgets on my second screen, so they're always visible.
  7. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    When I use a 2nd screen with my PB it's usually only for Reason.
    I'll have the "rack" on the extra monitor and the sequencer on the PB screen.
  8. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I do everything in my 2nd screen. 12" PB versus 20" widescreen 2005FPW. no contest really. I have small things like MSN and iChat on the PB screen. but I use Flash and Photoshop on the big screen.
    Big screens greatest use is my eyeTV screen. TV replacement and then some! progressive scan I could kiss you!
  9. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    I notice that most of you are talking about dual screens on your laptops, and all of what you are saying makes sense. But I'm talking about on a desktop Mac.
  10. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    tool pallettes, or if I'm in Director either the stage in one and the score in the other, or if I'm running 2 Director projects, then one in each. or project windows and render windows... that kind of thing.
  11. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    When I use two screens for my iBook, I use the iBook's screen for iChat and iTunes and the 2nd screen (1280x1024) for either Photoshop, FCP5, iWeb, or something similar.

I don't use the 2nd screen very much; Exposé does a good enough job for me. :)
  12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I do my main work and surfing on my external monitor. I use the ibook screen for adium, itunes, mail/entourage.

Dual screen on a laptop and desktop shouldn't be that much of a difference.

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I use my second screen for iTunes, iChat, Bit Torrent,

i use my studio display for quicktime, and audio apps like Logic,

I couldn't live without two screens now...it's the best
  14. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    All of the toolbars from either Dreamweaver/Flash or GoLive go on the 2nd screen, with the document under construction on the main screen. Couldn't do without it now.
  15. munckee macrumors 65816

Oct 27, 2005
    I used dual CRT's on my PC all the time. For photoshop, one held my palletes (allowed me to keep a bunch open at once) and the other my document. Another cool PS feature is that you can open a second window of the document you're working on to keep one at full size and the other zoomed in. That way you can make your close up changes and see how they look all at once.

I've since switched to a 12" PB and have a 20" dell monitor arriving in a week or two. Will probably use them in much the same manner.
  16. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    Second screen is for mail, itunes, and miscellaneous crap. I also occasionally will play a DVD and watch it on one screen and do something else on the other.
  17. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    the second screen comes in handy for any program with pallets.

if i'm working on a website, i usually keep the FTP open on screen 2, html editor open on screen 1. also tuck away itunes, ichat, "background aps" on screen 2.

dual monitors work absolute wonders for final cut pro, especially on a powerbook.
  18. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

Apr 5, 2004
    Huntsville, AL
    How long have you tried the dual-head setup? The longer you use it, the better you'll adjust to it.

I do all of my primary work on my primary monitor and kick things like email, bit torrent, and IRC over onto the secondary. Stuff I'd like to monitor but don't want to have sitting on my primary display.

When using Final Cut Pro, I put my file and effect browsers on the secondary display. The lets me better maximize the editing space on the primary display. In DVD Studio Pro, I put the "graph" view of the disc's layout on the secondary display.

Just keep using it. You'd adapt after a while and start to wonder how you ever lived w/out it. :)
  19. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Like a lot of poeple here, most of the time, I use my 2nd monitor (two 2005fpws) to keep all the apps that are constantly running visible. I have a finder window open, iTunes, pearLyrics, Adium, and Mail open and visible all the time. Underneath the Mail app is the Address Book, and (right now) ecto.

When I'm using Photoshop or InDesign, the paletts are just on the other side of the bevel between the screens, with the document on the main screen. Occasionally, when I have to work on a legal sized document, I'll rotate the second screen vertically and work with the document on that screen.

I've fallen in love with having two screens, and having that dedicated space for all my everyday apps to live.
  20. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    i don't think i can use one screen again

i use two screens all the time ... one is used for the main image, one is used for palletes ...

if i'm watching a video a i use the second screen for the video and keep my work for what i want

or i use two browser screens for what i need and compare

what i need is what i use

two screens all the way
  21. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    I've tried it for a while but the problem I run into is that my second screen is of FAR lower quality so I can't get used to the setup. I'm sure I would enjoy the dual head setup if I could get my hands on a second Apple Display but right now that's not an option.
  22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    I use my 17" for iTunes/Movies/Stuff like that, although if I got a 2405/2407, I would use it as the main monitor
  23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    that's officially the most boring use of two screens! :)

it is tough to use them both effectively if they are very different size/quality. i have a 20" apple display, and a 15"... it works fairly well, but matching 20"ers would be nice...... ;)
  24. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    when I was rocking dual monitors I found it best for dreamweaver work, have a browser open on one screen and DW open on the other.
  25. adroit macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC
    I have two 19" screens.
    I use one screen to do my main work, and the second one for net surfing, itunes, msn, and when I need some other document open while working.

The second screen is also great if you are programming so you can use the main screen to do the work and the second screen is the test screen. Or graphics/animation for pellets. I don't think I can use Flash w/o having two screens because I'll need to see my actionscript code in the other screen.