Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Curious what peoples wishlists are for the new apple tv. I am pretty satisfied with mine. I don't really pine for any better hardware. My only wish is adding a app store, and building in support for more video codecs. I think the a5 could run some decent games.

Sky is the limit. What do you guys want?

t0mbola

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Curious what peoples wishlists are for the new apple tv. I am pretty satisfied with mine. I don't really pine for any better hardware. My only wish is adding a app store, and building in support for more video codecs. I think the a5 could run some decent games.
Sky is the limit. What do you guys want?

App Store for channels/apps
Updated UI
Lower the airplay mirroring lag to allow playing games on TV using MFi controllers

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
1) Built-in iTunes client that can be pointed to a network share or an external USB drive
2) UI redesign for easier browsing
3) Ability to live-stream from any source that produces an H.264 stream
(3a) Or at least ATV apps for things like Elgato EyeTV or SiliconDust tuners.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
This wish list thread has been done over and over (we just never seem to get the bigger wishes). Along with what's already been shared:

• Get toe-to-toe with BD on video & audio capabilities, meaning giving the box the horses to play at a higher bit rate, etc than now AND allowing much more modern audio codecs than 1992's Dolby Digital. Don't capitulate on at least being a direct competitor to BD for the 2 benefits that matter most in these kinds of boxes (picture & sound quality). This is the one I want most
  • Go back toward the 1st gen UI where our own "movies" were in "movies", our own "tv shows" were in "tv shows" etc. And respect the tags like it did in gen 1; for example, if one tags all of the movies in a series (Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc) with the same "Show" tag, show just one line item in the main movie menu: if you click that line it then shows the 6 Star Wars movies or the 8 Harry Potter movies, etc. Same with TV shows- don't list them all by season in the main menu. Put one line item for each show in the main menu and then click into seasons and shows. All of this was in the 2007 edition.
  • Normalize that USB port so that those wanting local storage of their media can attach whatever level of local storage they want. This is the much wanted "turn off the computer" or "take the computer out of the house and others will still be able to watch our own media on :apple:TV" wishes. Gen 1 had local storage but Apple couldn't ever get the storage right for everyone. The hackers found a way to put up to 2TB (or maybe more) on the USB port and that did cover almost everyone who wanted this particular benefit. Normalize the port and revive that bit of software to use local storage and those that want it would be able to have it (and those that don't wouldn't be paying for local storage they don't want).
  • Normalize that USB port so that app store apps that can leverage some hardware add-on could link to that add-on through the USB port. For example, this might deliver elgato-like products and functionality in the :apple:TV. There's a pool of people that wish this box could do double duty as a DVR and/or disc player too. Hardware add on + app could deliver on those wishes.
  • Add the option for it to play meda stored on NAS
  • Native frame rate pass through so that it can pass frame rates other than 30fps to our HDTVs. IMO, this should at least include 24fps (typical of film) and 60fps (increasingly typical of many HD camcorders and cameras). Personally, I've been shooting in 60fps for years now and wish I would haven't to throw out every other frame for an :apple:TV movie file (60fps frame rate yields smoother motion)
  • Include stereo audio out for those with Zone 2 receivers (which generally require analog audio for Zone 2)
  • Quit the "hobby" excuse and spend a tiny fraction of all that cash to assign a bigger, dedicated team to this product. Make more deals than relatively tiny Roku for content (Roku shouldn't be able to outdo mighty Apple in this way except that Roku seems FOCUSED on this kind of product where Apple thinks it's some kind of "hobby"). Get serious about this product.

I'm pretty sure there's a few more but there are plenty of :apple:TV wish list threads loaded with these same kinds of answers.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Update the UI and merge content from the different apps so it's easier to see everything that I can watch. For example, I want to only go to one place to see all my favorite movies, regardless if they are from iTunes purchases, my iTunes library, netflix instant queue, hulu, etc. Same for TV shows. The current UI kind of sucks.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The biggest problem is the UI not the hardware. It is very dated. It needs a modern UI with an ability to search multiple apps for content.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Something like Plex or XBMC. They need more transcoding options. Being locked into Apple formats is the main issue with the AppleTV. My Appletv2 is jailbroken and runs ATV Flash, but being locked into 720p is a bummer.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Being locked into Apple formats is the main issue with the AppleTV.
H.264 aka AVC is an international standard, IMHO. So is the MPEG-4 container (.mp4 aka .m4v), by now at least. The only real contender is MKV, but it is mainly a black market format (I mean: who else besides rippers uses it?), so it remains to be seen, if and when will studios stand behind it.

NinjaDuck

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1. Ability to stream from AFP/SMB/FTP
2. DTS passthrough, it doesn't have to be DTS-MA. Core DTS is fine.
3. More transcoding options!
4. Improved remote. Current remote is horrible. It's hard to navigate using that thing!
5. Revamped UI.

That's basically it. I don't think the feature I listed is gonna be implemented in the near future. One can only dream. :)

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Appstore and a little storage.
Thats the only thing I can think of that seems viable.

- With the version update just now, a redesigned UI seem unlikely.
- 4K is to early
- More CPU doesnt really add anything performance wise (unless they add games)
- Wireless AC could be implemented but its hard to see how the ATV would benefit. Apples own 1080p content has an average bitrate of about 5mbps.
- Safari support would be pretty nice.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Just FYI on certain routers you can apply VPN at the gateway level. Let's you stream iPlayer, and other region locked content.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
I hope they make it gold, make it 500$ and that nobody cares about Apple TV any longer. :)
People don't understand that they basically just buy a flawed wireless HDMI cable for very much money.

eejits

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2013
I think someone mentioned this before, but to have the AppleTV control my SKY+HD box via HDMI pass-thru (or whatever) so everything came through it would be awesome. Obviously Apple would need to update the UI as well though.

That and the obligitory App Store.....

George

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
This is an easy question to answer.

1. Itunes Extra Support
2. BBC iPlayer, 40D, and other channels "apps" so i dont have to use all my wifi bandwidth streaming a blocky mess Times Capsule -> iPad -> Time Capsule -> Apple TV
3. thats about it.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
A camera, microphone and FaceTime on an AppleTV? NO!

What I would like, and many here have already stated this: an SDK and an App Store, that's what I want for starters.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
That isn't going to change.
If that is true, I can't think of any reason I would want to upgrade. My iPhone will play any format I throw at it with AirVideo, Plex and other apps. In other words, the Appletv is way behind iOS and needs to catch up.

If they keep it the same, why would I want to update? Money would be better spent on a Roku to combine with my current AppleTV.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
If that is true, I can't think of any reason I would want to upgrade. My iPhone will play any format I throw at it with AirVideo, Plex and other apps. In other words, the Appletv is way behind iOS and needs to catch up.

If they keep it the same, why would I want to update? Money would be better spent on a Roku to combine with my current AppleTV.

The Apple TV isn't going to grow by expanding it's local streaming options. It will grow by expanding their internet streaming options and improving the UI in which that can take place.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
A camera, microphone and FaceTime on an AppleTV? NO!

What I would like, and many here have already stated this: an SDK and an App Store, that's what I want for starters.

I figured indifference would have been the most likely response to my post, but outright disdane kind of surprised me. Perhaps you're suggesting Apple should put what resources it's willing to put into the device toward more worthy endeavors like a SDK and App Store. OK, I get that. Why they haven't done it yet I have no idea.

As for the FaceTime idea, this is more than a novelty for me. I often spend 20 or 30 minutes a day talking to my wife who, because of her profession, spends about 1/3 of the year away from home. Sometimes we do FaceTime, but holding an iPhone for a half hour to look at a 3.5 inch screen is far from what I would call an ideal experience, especially consdering that I have a 46 inch HDTV connected to the AppleTV. Conveniently, The AppleTV already has the h.264 hardware that's needed for FaceTime. They could at least enable one to hook up through USB.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I figured indifference would have been the most likely response to my post, but outright disdane kind of surprised me. Perhaps you're suggesting Apple should put what resources it's willing to put into the device toward more worthy endeavors like a SDK and App Store. OK, I get that. Why they haven't done it yet I have no idea.

As for the FaceTime idea, this is more than a novelty for me. I often spend 20 or 30 minutes a day talking to my wife who, because of her profession, spends about 1/3 of the year away from home. Sometimes we do FaceTime, but holding an iPhone for a half hour to look at a 3.5 inch screen is far from what I would call an ideal experience, especially consdering that I have a 46 inch HDTV connected to the AppleTV. Conveniently, The AppleTV already has the h.264 hardware that's needed for FaceTime. They could at least enable one to hook up through USB.

Yeah, sorry it came across that way, wasn't meant to be such disdain, just more a wholehearted (not in an unfriendly way) disagreement. :)

One thing I was thinking, though, about your request is that if Apple does at some point provide an SDK and AppStore (which is what I'd like to see first), with the recent added support of Bluetooth on the ATV there's no reason to think that you couldn't add support for a camera and microphone (perhaps even an all-in-one headset) that would allow you to FaceTime via AppleTV. Alternatively, Apple has official docks for phones now in which you can set your phone so you don't have to hold it the entire time, and of course I think that you can AirPlay it to an ATV today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.