What do you want from the next generation iPhone, and iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Uguubot, Apr 5, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Uguubot

Do you have any partciular desires for the next iPhone, and the next version of iOS?

2. ap3604, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

macrumors 68000

3. macrumors 6502

Mapquest & waze work very well. Integrated into Siri & that's a different request.

4. macrumors 65816

New iPhone:
    3.5 inch screen
    Complete redesign
    LTE
    Bumped up camera system
    A5X

iOS 6:
    Turn by turn navigation
    Facebook integration
    Totally revamped maps app
    Apple maps on the server side
    Usual improvements to safari, mail.
    Maybe a redone calendar app?

5. ap3604, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012

macrumors 68000

Yeah I agree I love both, but I'd still like it to be native.

I mean there were good reminder/checklist apps in the market before "reminders" was baked into iOS 5... but I am still happy its in there.

6. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Completly agree with you. Not expecting a 4" screen, but I am expecting a thinner iPhone 4 looking redesign.

7. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

More important than hardware is software. iOS 6 really needs to introduce some iPhone specific improvements, namely to the keyboard, Safari, and in general, voice navigation and better Mail (I refuse to believe anyone is happy that you still can't send attachments; in 2012, this missing "feature" is absurd).

There's also a ton of other little things iOS needs to change. Stop forcing us to watch the download animation every single time we download an app (where it pulls you out of the App Store, and shows you the app icon bouncing to the homescreen). The reasoning behind this is completely lost to me. Apple thinks people shop one app at a time every single time?

& other things.

8. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What's wrong with the keyboard?

9. ap3604, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012

macrumors 68000

10. macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Thanks. I agree with some of his points, but overall it's something that at least I've adapted to over the years.

11. Millah, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012

macrumors 6502a

What attachments are you needing to send? Photos? Share tab in photos, or even copy to clipboard. Documents from other apps? Those apps should have a share tab to email the documents.

I know what you mean though, an attachments menu would be a bit more convenient. But remember, Apples goal in iOS is to eliminate the end user file system. Having an attachments menu, means the user will have to navigate through what is essentially a filesystem UI. It's not impossible, and I'm sure Apple could create a clever way to do it, but you have to at least understand WHY it's not there, a design decision.

Btw, when you download apps from your purchased tab, it doesn't pull you back to the home screen. It installs while keeping you in the app store. I can't imagine if you're browsing for apps you haven't purchased yet, and you find one you like, that you're going to be ready to download a bunch more apps. You probably want to open the new app you just downloaded. However, if you're going through a purchased list, and redownloading a bunch of apps, then that behavior makes sense to keep you in the app store and let you keep going through your list.

I'm not trying to act like I know how you use an iPhone, but it at least seems like another design decision to me that makes sense (and also fits with my usage pattern on my devices)

12. macrumors 601

ixodes

Three simple upgrades.

Yet I highly doubt Apple will include these improvements. Mostly because they are too far out of the Cupertino Companies comfort zone, I'm lowering my expectations accordingly.

And they are ?

1) 4.5" Display

2) Touch Sensitive Home Button.

3) Internal Antenna.

13. macrumors 6502a

4 inch (or a bit larger) display
    LTE
    LED notification light
    New design

iOS 6
    Apple Maps with navigation (its coming soon)
    Upgraded Safari and Siri
    A Swype-like keyboard

14. macrumors regular

- Better exchange integration, specifically categories and flag tasks (properly) for Mail, Calendar, and Contacts.
    - Larger display on the iPhone.
    - Stronger chassis

15. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    For iOS:

I think a new way on the iPhone to navigate between apps and pages in apps using gestures would be great. By navigating between pages in apps, I'm referring to drill-down screens, where at the moment you need to tap "Cancel" or some variant to go back one screen.

And I hope that with gestures in general they come up with a really nice, clean, consistent paradigm (I've heard gestures in the new iPhoto app are undocumented and you have to learn them by guessing them).

For the new iPhone:
    I would like a bigger screen and a higher resolution (doubled again?) to keep that high PPI. Don't care about LTE and would prefer it left out if it affects battery too much.

16. macrumors newbie

This^ Except I would like a 3.8 inch screen

17. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

@Millah, I understand your points but like you said apple could come up with a solution. What if I wanted to send multiple attachments at once in an email? And overall mail needs to be better. I don't know why they can't show both conversations (emails and replies) in the same thread or at least give the option to have this turned on.

I guess we have different shopping methods. Sometimes I'm looking for more than one app (imagine a thread here that listed peoples favorite apps and a number of them interested me). It's a little silly for apple to assume people will download only one app at a time each and every time they shop. I don't want to draw comparisons but when I was using the nexus, downloading from the google market wasnt this cumbersome; to have to go back to the app store if I wanted to continue shopping or looking for something else. It just indicated that it was downloading in the notification bar (a simple download arrow, if I remember correctly). I could simply press 'back' and continue shopping from the list where I left off.

----------

Thanks for adding that here. In that thread I also posted some more general complaints regarding ios specifically on the iPhone. After using an iPad, I'm beginning to see how unfit iOS is for the iPhone. iOS is far better realized on the iPad. I think Apple needs to update iOS with specific improvements for the iPhone. As someone already mentioned above, gestures would be great. Swiping should be introduced to Safari iPhone for example to switch between tabs (look at how it's done on Chrome mobile).

18. macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

I just want an innovative new design. Perhaps, 3.7, maybe 4", and this should do it for me.

19. macrumors 65816

Closest I could get to a SJ facepalm.

My major question is how many more of these threads will we have to endure before the iPhone 5 comes out? Bigger screen, don't care about much else.

Attached Files:

20. macrumors member

I think 4" is better because I always misspell my SMS.

21. macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm amazed at the number of folks who don't really want any change in the next new model. Wow. I guess Apple can just close up shop and never make a new phone again.

22. macrumors 65816

Well my original post is what I expect...not necessarily what I want.

23. macrumors 6502a

The ONLY thing that will prevent me from getting a new iPhone would be for the screen size to remain the same.

24. macrumors 601

4.3" screen.
    NFC
    MicroSD card slot
    Usual spec bumps; faster processor, gpu, more ram, bigger battery

iOS 6:-

Turn by turn navigation
    Access to the file system (at least the media portions)
    Ability to uninstall apple apps, with the option to redownload them from the app store later
    Ability to install apps from outside the app store

I know half of this will never happen, but it is a wishlist after all :p

25. macrumors 65816

Yea I'm thinking LTE this year and NFC next year. They need a feature for next year. :D