What do you want in an app?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mmmdreg, May 7, 2003.

1. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I have to do a app in Software design at school for the "major" assignment. It has to be useful and the type of thing someone might pay 2¢+ for...tell me all your ideas and I'll think about them. Thanx alot.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

3. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

WHAT?

how about something that will fix all my tags in iTunes that are wrong...the one feature of musicmatch jukebox that i liked when i used it on a PC...

5. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

A super conversion calculator. I think that this is codeable in a short amount of time. (Like Calculator.com but all in one application.)

• Math functions
      Standard conversions-
      -hex, oct, bin (with mantistia), etc.
      -length, volume, etc.
      -user specified (perhaps 10 user defined constnats)
      special
      -kCal , BMI, dog years, etc.
    There are a lot of calculators that do a few of these thigns, but not all.
    If you can, please add a tape feature.

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

What are your resources that you have available for the project? What type of machine are you going to programming it on/for (I'd do cross platform if possible, much more useful). And what programming language are you going to use?

This is a very broad topic, you'll need to determine the type of app you're going to create and the ask questions.

D

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

...see dukestreet's post. Basically a better worded version of my question:p

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I would kill for 2 different apps.

1. iTheatre: iTunes for movies

- including renting movies like the iTunes music store

- records TV like tivo

- playlists for watching your recorded/imported simpsons episodes

2. iBank: Money managemnet software that works.

- integrates with my checking and savings account for 1 click paying of my phone bill, cable bill

- tracks investments (how much my Janus/401k accounts have in them)

- sends invoices to clients

- transfer money between accounts

I will seriously pay someone to develop either software. I have storyboards of each - just no software development skills.

-Doc

9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

Sounds like a great idea! Esp. the renting movies thing - this'd be the kind of thing they'd have to integrate into quicktime i guess. Would require a monster internet connection to stream even a well encoded DivX/Xvid movie though - don't they run at about 7-11Mbit/s? Ah, DivX or Xvid would be impossible as you cant stream either as far as i'm aware - they require the complete file to work - i guess a quicktime file would do the job perfectly though.

Nice idea, but i doubt the integration with actual bank accounts will ever see the light of day for security and logistical reasons

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

For a single user project, iTheater would be a fine thing to have and actually be possible. The database info would be simple or at least simplified and expanded as needed.

As an animator, keeping track of all the little movie files that I have is a pain. I basically just put them in subfolders of the main animation project directory. But to be able to graphically update and work on them would be very cool.

D

11. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

aaah, hence the cool 'tar! homemade?

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, well, that little tar is a teaser - which you'll eventually get to see more of hopefully soon.

But it wasn't originally created for a tar - its just a small part of one of my more recent projects.

D

13. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Probably windows, probably VB. keep in mind that I am only in my first year of doing this.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

VB is probably not the best thing to be using. Many companies are moving away from VB (or never used it like the group I work in). Check out this artical http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/05/06/2153219&mode=thread&tid=126&tid=156 on /. Use Java or if you have to use a MS solution look at .Net (shudder). This will probably be better if you want to get into professional programming.

I would also recomend that you check out Cocoa (Obj-C or Java) if you have a free choice. It's amazing how quickly you can develop some really neat ideas with it.

15. mmmdreg thread starter macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

uhuh. I'm learning cocoa at home anyway. But at school they teach us VB. So it's either of the two. It shouldn't really matter for the level of app I'm doing.