What do you want in Mac OS X 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Doctor Q, May 2, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger has "200+ new features". Still, there are plenty of features that have not been added. Maybe we will see some of them in Mac OS X 10.5.

If there are new or changed features you'd like to see in the next release, you should

1. Let Apple know, using their Mac OS X Feedback Form.

2. Describe what you want here, so we can share and discuss these ideas.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I would like to see a revised and refreshed GUI. I won't go into detail but I'm sure the interface experts have learned a lot since X.0 or X.1.

3. capone2 macrumors regular

10.5 ?? or 11

I understand that this is the last of OS X. I heard only 5 versions of 10, which makes this the last. 10. 10.1, 10.2 10.3 and 10.4? Or is it only 5 upgrades?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Where did you hear that? My guess is that we'll see a 10.6... beyond that, who knows?

5. brap macrumors 68000

OS level speech-to-text. No more typing up lectures!

A consistent GUI would be nice, too. To be honest, that's about it... all Apple really need to do is work on procuring the hardware to make their already-immaculate software run fast. Besides bugfixes, of course - which should be a matter for 10.4.*.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

My one and only request to Apple would be to not rush 10.5. I hope Apple takes her (Apple is a woman right :eek: ) time so the release is not as buggy as 10.4.

I have one request for the user base ass well (This includes myself). I want people to not saying "when will they release 10.5???" We all couldn't understand why it took so long to anounce 10.4, but now I wish they held off a few months or so.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Does Tiger have any serious bugs? Or just many minor ones? I am considering in upgrading, but I think I will wait until it reaches a decent version (10.4.2 or so).

Am I doing right?

9. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

OSX:
    • automatic undo delete from trash that puts the files back where they were
    • being able to change the background picture at certain times not just intervalls and be able to specify as many pictures/times as I want like the options for smart lists (for a night/day rhythm for example)
    • be able to isync entire home directories between computers
    • better speech recognition and voices
    • truly resolution independent GUI
    • Dictionary.app for the 5-6 main languages

Mail:
    • scheduled sending of emails
    • let mail recognize nicknames from adressbook for autmatic email adress completion
    • prevent mail from changing entries in adress book
    • mailing lists
    • icards from mail

Quicktime:
    • playlist for movies
    • remember volume after closing
    • better handling of other file formats (built in divx encoder for example) more formats

iChat:
    • ichat to be able to use nicknames instead of full names out of the adress book
    • ichat to use tabs
    • ichat to use msn
    • re-login after lost connection
    • different sound for buddies going away and offline
    • option to show pics/buddy icons only

I'd be more than content with this. Though most of this should have been in Tiger already...

Oh... and please change these things back!

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I don't see any reason to wait. I haven't found any bugs at all. They are working on 10.4.1 for a May release but I certainly don't see any reason NOT to upgrade until then.

11. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

1. Transparent Folders
    2. Text only (option) in Sidebar (Example: No Icons!)
    3. Global pref for sidbar off or on.
    4. Global pref for list/column/icon views
    5. Desktop Workload sheets (Explenation: Kind of like a black transparent layer like in Dashboard - but here you can save them with names - define hotkeys... this is where you would setup a WorkLoad of items relating to a certain project - files - applications.)

12. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Given the amount of money we have spent since the OS X era began, I too would like 10.5 to be a ways off, like early 2007. That said, in 10.5 I would like to see:
    1. A new Finder. It just isn't very good. Needs a new look and more speed. Full on Cocoa would be nice too. I would be nice if the windows stayed the same shape/size/etc when you closed and opened them.
    1a. Expanded meta features in HFS+: beyond Spotlight. The Ars article covers this very well.
    2. Resolution Independent UI: this is already there, if you turn on Quartz Debug, but it needs to be supported by every app. Scaling text without lowering the overall resolution would be very useful on laptops.
    3. A consistent UI: Mail doesn't look that bad in real life, but either everything needs to look like it or it needs to look like everything else.
    4. Tab between actions- When a dialog asks you OK or Cancel and OK is flashing, you have to use the mouse to select cancel.
    5. iCal could be a little easier to use.
    6. Drop the cat names
    7. Tabs in iChat sound like a good idea. Optional tabs in Finder too (if they don't rework it into something better.
    8. 64 bit version (just because)
    9. Kill Classic, Carbon, and G3 support -- reduce code footprint
    10. ::::Reserved for future use::::

13. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

What are transparent folders?

I like the Workload idea.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Multiple desktops
    Themes/Skins built in
    Full FTP Read/Write support in Finder
    Full NTFS Read/Write support

to name a few

15. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Or just hit escape.

16. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Ha. I guess I didn't word that very well. I just meant transparent folder backgrounds. Kind of like how the window in the termainal window can be made.

17. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Does that work for more than two selections? Like Don't save, Save, or Cancel?
    (I'm not at a Mac so I can't try it out)
    I honestly didn't know.

There's an idea: Better documentation. For $130 I should get a better manual to read while I'm on the toilet.

18. satty macrumors 6502

All audio output via Airport Express

Not sure, if there is a way to do it already, but I would like to send all my audio output to Airport Express.

19. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Go into the Keyboard & Mouse section of System Preferences, then the Keyboard Shortcuts tab. Turn on full keyboard access. (this was in Panther too)

I would love to be able to hit the first letter of dialogues though. Photoshop does this, but I wish I could do it everywhere. (D for Don't save, S to save etc) It's just about the only thing I've missed since coming from Windows last year.

I can't really think of anything major I'd want added to the next Mac OS right now though, only smaller things that could be added in 10.4.x updates.

20. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Hold on a second - its only 10.4! Apple can release 10.4.5 as a major update as well, like Windows XP SP2 did - Windows XP SP2 is not Windows XP - 1/3 of the Windows XP viruses dont work on XP SP2, new applications added and stuff taken out.

Also, I heard OS X 10.5 would be the last, as I think I remember hearing an Apple rep. saying that the next OS X would ship in 2 years, as Apple decided not to have the One OS per year anymore as the OS is basically perfect security/application wise.

But I doubt Apple will keep the OS when the next version of the Apple OS comes out (OS 11) - Apple should adopt a product name other than Macintosh for the OS. Like Microsoft has Windows, Apple should have something else... and again, totally rewrite the core of the OS but keep most features of OS X.

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Decent Java performance. It was OK in Panther, but in Tiger.. so slow with regular long pauses effecting the entire OS.

( 1.67 PB, 512MB )

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

23. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I think what we need is to make the OS more robust. There are enough flashy features. Let's refine the UI... We have plastic, aqua, brushed metal, etc. What is the UI for OS X? Hopefully Appple will standardize that a bit more.

Going through the old code and cutting out stuff like quickdraw and getting rid of bloat to streamline the OS and make it snappier.

Figure out what the problem w/ 3D gaming on OS X is and FIX IT. Not improve - FIX. Fix it once and for all.

Continue the trend in support of more open standards.

I think 10.5 is going to be a lot of work for Apple developers, but I think it will be a great opportunity for OS X to leave the "experimental / bleeding edge" stage and really solidify itself as the best on the block.

24. iBunny macrumors 65816

I am a windows User. And to me, the only 1 thing that bugs me about OSX is the Responsivness of the GUI. IE) resizing windows and what not. Thats it. If they make that literly instant like Windows... than I will be happy.