Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
In a Tiger slideshow, you can use the Index Sheet feature to display thumbnails of all images, and they are resized to fit them all on the screen. But this can make them very small for large numbers of images. I would like to have other controls on that screen: a slider to adjust the image size and a page forward/back control if using bigger images requires more than one screenful.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
make the dock custom so you don't have to use transparent dock etc.
At least make it normal or have and option to make it transparent....

edit - also make an option to return the apple in the upper left to rainbow!!! back to the old school days ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
dahacouk said:
OK. I've updated our Apple Mac OS X Wish List. Let me know if there's anything missing or feel free to edit the wiki yourself.
I hope Apple is reading your list (and the ones it points to). What better source of ideas could there be than we, the opinionated Mac users?

slb

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
New Mexico
anonymous161 said:
9. Kill Classic, Carbon, and G3 support -- reduce code footprint

Not gonna happen. Applications like Photoshop, Logic, and even Finder are written in Carbon. Adobe isn't going to rewrite Photoshop in Cocoa; they have years invested in their codebase and it would make the code non-portable to Windows. Why kill G3 support if they can still support them? Why remove Classic support? It runs in its own process as an OS X app, so it's not affecting OS X or anything. Pointlessly reducing options isn't progress.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I want to be able to change every font and color in the user interface.

Here's how to do it: Open a font or color browser. Drag a font or color from the browser and drop it on the thing to be changed. Voila, it changes!

Yes, we had that in OS/2 2.0... fifteen years ago.

Want more really neat user interface ideas? Dust off a Workplace Shell manual. They're all there, ready to use.

And I agree with the post about being able to resize windows from any side.

What's really good and solid about the Mac these days is the underlying OS. The GUI and Cocoa still have a long, long ways to go. Beachballs and system restarts should never be necessary.

dahacouk

macrumors member
May 24, 2004
Planet Earth
Doctor Q said:
I hope Apple is reading your list...
Me too.
Platform said:
Very nice list you have there...
Thanks very much.

I have great plans for it...

I want to have it much more database-like so that individual MacRumors users can maintain their own Mac OS wish lists - then these can be combined into one big wish list. We can then find and merge duplicates items. Rate items.

Also, I want to automate sending requests to Apple Feedback so that we can actually track what requests are being made. How many. And if they ever get seen to.

Much of the problem, as I see it, is that the Mac community looks fragmented. If we made it easy to ask for things together and also easy to track these requests then I reckon we'd get more our way. The more signatures we have against a request the more likely we are to get it sorted.

Well, you gotta dream ain't ya! ;-)

Cheers Daniel

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
dahacouk said:
Me too.

Thanks very much.

I want to have it much more database-like so that individual MacRumors users can maintain their own Mac OS wish lists - then these can be combined into one big wish list. We can then find and merge duplicates items. Rate items.

Also, I want to automate sending requests to Apple Feedback so that we can actually track what requests are being made. How many. And if they ever get seen to.

Much of the problem, as I see it, is that the Mac community looks fragmented. If we made it easy to ask for things together and also easy to track these requests then I reckon we'd get more our way. The more signatures we have against a request the more likely we are to get it sorted.

Cheers Daniel
You had a great idea with this list. I hope for your sake you can get a "wished for and implemented" page that lists stuff on your wish list that has since been added to Mac OS X - this would avoid needlessly listing stuff that doesn't need to be wished for anymore.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
dahacouk said:
Me too.

Thanks very much.

Cheers Daniel

I hope that apple will take this list seriously....because this is what needs to be fixed and what would make the OS a lot better.....Hope that Tiger will get some of these things..... :rolleyes: Even Res indep. GUI as a bonus for Tiger in like 1/2 a year :rolleyes: ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
dahacouk said:
Apple is probably not lacking for suggestions. The interesting question is how they choose which to implement. They could tally the requests for a given feature (a crude measure of popularity), look for a few well-written submissions with clear suggestions and justifications, or they could sift through the suggestions, estimating the effort involved, and looking for those that give the most bang for the buck.

Then again, I assume that Apple makes some top-level decisions about the focus of each release, e.g., Spotlight/search technology, and directs their development efforts around those areas. So we may have a better chance of getting little glitches and small improvements made than in redirecting their major efforts.

Perhaps Apple gets so many suggestions through the feedback system that they don't need more, but the better we are at collecting lists, the easier it'll be for them to stop by and check 'em out.

Once they have between 129 and 200 new features ready, they pull the next feline name out of a hat and we get a new OS!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Doctor Q said:
Apple is probably not lacking for suggestions. The interesting question is how they choose which to implement. They could tally the requests for a given feature (a crude measure of popularity), look for a few well-written submissions with clear suggestions and justifications, or they could sift through the suggestions, estimating the effort involved, and looking for those that give the most bang for the buck.

Then again, I assume that Apple makes some top-level decisions about the focus of each release, e.g., Spotlight/search technology, and directs their development efforts around those areas. So we may have a better chance of getting little glitches and small improvements made than in redirecting their major efforts.

Perhaps Apple gets so many suggestions through the feedback system that they don't need more, but the better we are at collecting lists, the easier it'll be for them to stop by and check 'em out.

Once they have between 129 and 200 new features ready, they pull the next feline name out of a hat and we get a new OS!
I have to wonder if Apple incorporates user feature suggestions, especially those that ease working with Mac OS X inside Apple. All of these methods sound feasible to me.

boywonder2010

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2005
i agree with most everything about improved GUI stability, standards, yada yada yada. but i think something that holds true with most mac users i know is they love the ability to customize. this is one of the reasons i believe there are so many open source projects for macs. the mac crowd is generally a more creative and artistic crew, and i think we all hold how our mac looks in equal standing with how fast it works. i'd personally, more than anything, like to see a more customizable GUI, with themes, font customizations, and all the good stuff that you can get through third party programs. but more properly implemented into the OS.

also, it's been quite some time since there's been a real update to iTunes. not the store. the program. nothing has really changed. iTunes simlicity and speed is one of the reasons i switched to macs, but i'd like to see something new and better. for example, controls in the menu bar would be key. there are always more third party programs that do this, and i have a konfabutor widget that does what i need it to, but this seems like a relatively reasonable, simple request, that wouldn't ever really need to wait for 10.5. it's just something i want, basicly.

key word is customization though.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I'd like a way to easily skip through chapter markers in a quicktime movie just like you do in DVD player. Maybe you can do this already, but I can't figure it out.

The drop-down scene selection menu is nice, but not really useful when you're sitting back from the computer with a remote control or wireless mouse.

movabi

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Iowa City, IA
here's my list

1. merge folders
2. "Gather Items In New Folder" (unsanity's Fruitmenu feature)
3. Multiple icon sizes on Desktop
4. Lock icon positions on Desktop
5. Trash in Sidebar
6. Mouse over or icon click file to get file info
7. Finder window tabs (OS 9 feature)
8. Drag windows from anywhere on window - keystroke + click & drag (Window Dragon)
9. Multiple Desktops
10. Spring-loaded folders in Dock
11. Multiple docks
12. Flexible placement and position of docks
13. Fully customizable docks (colors, dividers, flexible spaces,
placement, locks)
14. Menubar / PrefPane Clock controls - font, color, time and date formats
15. mute button for menubar
16. Desktop filtering of filetypes for sorting
17. finder window printing (OS 9)
18. window shade & minimize in place
19. ability to set double scroll arrows at both ends without a 3rd party app
20. Show opened items grayed out (apps and folders)
21. Trash size especially when emptying -- "the trash contains 500 items which take up 20 GB of space"
22. Have more control over what is shown in sidebar and desktop -- show internal drives, firewire drives, CDs/DVDs, mounted DMG files, ipods, network drives (in other words, distinction between media)
23. More label choices & label color tints icon option
24. Ability to copy names from locked volumes
25. scroll bars, highlights and aqua elements offer more colors other than aqua and graphite (OS 9)
26. Piles -- or the ability to group files and folders on desktop in groups
27. List view icon control - tiny up to 128x128
28. backgrounds and colors in list view
29. key commands for sort views (size, name, date, kind, version, label)
30. key command for cancel
31. trash in apple menu

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I'd like to see a re-work of how applications are used, and how preferences are set.

For example, I'd like to access preferences for an appication much like preferences for widgets are accessed.

There would be a little icon in the bottom left corner of an app, and when you click it, the app would flip around to the 'backside' where the preferences are. Then there could be tabs, buttons, etc whatever else is needed.

Going a step further, apps could be made to have "sides" - the app would essentially be a cube.

Imagine an app called "iCenter" or something catchier...it's only one app, but if you click music icon on the top center, it flips and shows you the side where iTunes is located.

Clicking the photo icon on the left if the iTunes panel rotates the app again, this time showing you iPhoto.

Combine similar apps and functions into 'panels' on a common cube.

(The direction of the "flip/rotate" would have to correspond with where the icon that initiated it is located. Example: If I click the icon on the top center, the app shoud rotate upwards, like doing a backflip...and so on, just so the physics of it appear as we expect)

The flip action introduced with widgets is a HUGE idea, and just taken a step or two further could really change how we use, access, and communicate with our applications - and ultimately, how apps work/integrate with others.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The iCenter (or is that iCentre) idea sounds pretty cool but I don't know how Apple could pull it off without using up a tonne of resources. You'd effectively have to be running all of those apps all of the time. People are complaining about widgets as is, doing the same for apps could be a bit hard for 10.5.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
mad jew said:
The iCenter (or is that iCentre) idea sounds pretty cool but I don't know how Apple could pull it off without using up a tonne of resources. You'd effectively have to be running all of those apps all of the time. People are complaining about widgets as is, doing the same for apps could be a bit hard for 10.5.

Maybe a ctrl-click (right click) on the appropriate icon would fold out the panel and display it above/below or to the side of the panel you had open. Instead of the whole app rotating, the app you want would fold out so you could see both side by side.

Then, you could even have all 4 open at once if you wanted - any combo could be opened at the same time.

And maybe as an idea, instead of keeping all 4 apps running, and then just displaying it when the button is clicked, maybe clickin the icon to rotate to that side STARTS the app as well, and when you go to another side of the cube, the previous app quits. Then, Apple would just have to speed up how fast apps start and quit. given the cube rotate animation would take a second, that I think buys enough time for an app to start or quit.

Just idea'rs :D

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
If it were not for a legal battle with Unsanity, I'd like to see more native
skins available including aluminum alloy, mouse cursor options, beach ball options and button shape options.
unsanitywindow0cg.jpg

ABSOLUTELY KILL THE FREEKING BUTT UGLY DOCK SHADOW.

Ive been waiting forever for bookmarks to be sortable by name in alphabetical order. What's the big deal?

WAY MORE smiley options in iChat.:D

Privacy and security:

Native military grade encryption of instant messenges and e-mails
with zero back doors.

Easy user defined firewall settings in OSX firewall.
w/ Firewall breach alerts.

Ability to easily identify and disable ( by standards ) any and all automatic "phone home" dialers.

Incredimail style options. icons and stationary in MAIL

Easy stop list options to block spam IP's

More disk utility options such as optimize on demand and defragging.

Selected startup volume should never unlock without entering administrators p/w..

Make iWork a default MS Office compatible native application including Pages. Keynote, FileMaker Pro, stationary options and so on to replace Word, PowerPoint, Entorage, Excell, Access and MS Project.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
- In View Options, it should default to "This window only", not "All windows".

I rarely want to change the settings for all my windows, but I often want to change the settings for just one. And every freakin' time I have to change from "All windows" to "This window only" (and sometimes I forget... :mad: ). Just one step I shouldn't have to do so often.

- Optionally, folders should be listed before files in the Finder.

There's probably some hack somewhere that I can download for this, but this should be something you could do from the OS, with no 3rd party needed. And it should of course be optionally, as I'm sure many like the way it's done now.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
dubbz said:
- Optionally, folders should be listed before files in the Finder.

There's probably some hack somewhere that I can download for this, but this should be something you could do from the OS, with no 3rd party needed. And it should of course be optionally, as I'm sure many like the way it's done now.

what the frack? dubbz, my folders always show in finder before files. or i don't exactly know what your talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.