What do you want to see in a game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Felldownthewell, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    This is a really broad topic, but I am wondering what people want to see added to games in the future- on console, PC, or for mac. Of course, what you want dosen't have to be based on what programers can acually do- just what you want to see.

I would say a few things would be awesome to see:

Fully destructable enviroments- in games today you can destroy some part of the enviroment- shoot debris, leave bullet holes, or destroy select parts of houses- but the majority of the enviroment does not change. I would like to see a game where bullets shred wooden walls pulverize stone walls like they do in real life. In BF2, when you fire a rocket at a building, it explodes, but there is no damage to the building. It would be so cool if the wall colapsed, or the building caught fire.

Better Friendly AI- A squad based first person person shooter in which I do not have to direct my squad where to hide and who to shoot, and they are smart enough to not run into walls and stand out in the open and get shot. Some would argue that online gameplay takes care of this, but a single player AI system capable of this would be amazing.

More Realistic Enemy AI- Simple enough- enemies who are smart, not just hard to kill. Enemies who work as a team, use cover, and plan out attacks instead of just running around blindly.

Thats all I can think of for now, but I know there is more.
  2. phill1234 macrumors member

Feb 21, 2006
    I would like to see a multiplayer FPS that you actualy have to work as a team to be succesful... not individualy run differents way and charge...
  3. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops

Lighting Lighting Lighting! I love games where the lighting is very immersive and can make u feel like everything is there, not just "stuck" there.

Being able to blow everything up like in the Outfit.
  4. roach macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2006
    Battlefield 2 lets you create squadron with squadron leader as spawning point. When you're in a squadron, you only hear your squadron talking...not everybody in your force. As a squadron, you can also get orders from commander. If you accept order from commander, your whole team gets a way point in their little map. You can also ask commander to scan area for enemy or parachute supply.
  5. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    True, but it is VERY rare to get your team to actually work as a team. When they do its great, but it does not happen very often, at least in my experiance.
  6. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    When i buy a game a i look for a finished game, i dont buy sirra (spelling) games at all. They release games when they are not yet finished, i am looking for games like the ones Blizzard put out, polished, complete and fun to play.
  7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Games with allies that don't do this all the time:

8. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    I'd like to see a good storyline/or (if the game is mainly online, like UT) more balance and teamwork optimizations

From the technical point of view, multiple CPU utilization (I mean each is loaded 100 %), better performance optimizations for PC games (Mac included), more good content. :)

EDIT: forgot about better AI!
  9. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    In the mainstream, I'd love a game like Half Life 2 but with a complete single player story mode.

I'd also really like a game, like Zelda, but in a really grand world. Similar to Oblivion, or just Link to the Past in 3D with no real boundaries. only stopped by an ocean. Just to get across this super epic feeling. Though it will probably require a re-think on the players side. rather than obvious goal orientated or whatever.

another idea I've been having for a long time is a "real" FPS game. It will probably never be as fun when playing on a computer. but imagine the scene (it's a mad one :D )
    You're on the bus. travelling somewhere. you don't know exactly where. For protection, I mean who wouldn't be suspicious? You've brought a random weapon or item from your bedroom (with a good physics engine anything can be a weapon). At a random point as you're travelling through an isolated village something happens. A huge blast is heard over the hillside, half the people instantly die on the bus. You know something is up.
    Basically aliens or something invades. And you, on your lonesome have to go up against them and stop them. No matter what. If that involves flying an aeroplane into their base, or cause a rock slide to bury them, or just infiltrate the base and kill the queen. Multi goal based, very random events. The army would try and attack, but they'd get killed off so you could use their weapons. and stuff.

Another idea me and a mate had years ago is similar to the above game. It's called The Hunt. it would have to be virtual reality or full immersion just to get the feel across. But you're trapped on a desolate moor, and theres a monster on the loose. The whole area is quarantined but you got through. There are villages dotted around where you can sleep and get supplies from. it only appears at night too, leaving day time as preparation. Probably take place at Winter so night time lasts much longer. and snow would be beautiful.

meh. doubt i'd see games like that in the next 10 years :(
  10. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Bring UT 99 back but with the new UT engine and graphics. In my clan, I 'm the only Mac guy. Playing with a G3/300, Rev A., ATi 128 16MB, cable connection, 10/100 hardwire network, OS 9.2.2. That game attracts the most diverse group of gamers I've ever seen.

Anybody remember Links, it was a golf game that was far superior to its PC brother. The last version I have is when MS bought the company. Links2000.
    I would like to see a virtual world on online game in the genre of UT.

Of course I would upgrade my computer.
  11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Two words: More Boobs.

I'm sure you all appreciate my input on this thread :)

But really, how about Realistic damage in a Racing game. Damage that affects the handling.
  12. Felldownthewell thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    First of all, more boobs is a must. Hopefully in the cutscences so its not fake animated boobs. ;)

Secondly, I think bringing back old games with new graphics would work really well. I thought I heard they were doing this with Final fantasy 7. If they did I would go out and buy a PS2 just to play it.

I'd also like to see Diablo 3- I just found Diablo 2 in my desk and reinstalled it. So much fun!

I don't know if virtual reality is the next step for games, personally I don't think so. I tried one of those virtual reality booths they have set up at the state fair (out in the middle of nowehere but...mmm...elephant ears...) where you pay $10 and stand in a booth with a headset and two hand controlers. It blew. The walking controls didn't work, the gun fired 5 seconds to late, if at all, aim was non-existant... Virtual reality does not have my vote until I can be shown that it works.

Oh, and of course, I can't wait for HL3. (Due date 2026)
  13. thechris69 macrumors 6502

Nov 11, 2005
    real plants, unlike those paper thin plants in most games, o and a better ragdoll physics engine, and GOREEEE, if I shoot a guy in the face, I dont want a nice perfect bullet hole in his face,I want half his head blowing off and brains and blood pooring out, and if you shoot a guy, he doesnt keep running at you (farcry), if you shoot a guy once in the chest, he falls over and bleeds to death unless you finish him off, just realistic deaths and gore in general
  14. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Deep down I just want a new Yoshi's Island :)

Same graphics, same music, new levels, 1 or 2 new gameplay techniques and a lovely, brilliant co-op. Would need to be on DS though with a map on the bottom screen showing where your mate is.