What does Android have that iOS doesn't

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by whoknows87, Oct 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I have played around with a few Android devices, not for long I must admit, one thing that I think is a plus is the Display , I have not seen a Phone yet that has a better display than the iPhone Retina Display, the app store is well iOS App store.... but I do feel like iOS is missing out on some built in features , might be a time to try something new, I currently have an i5 what phones do you guys recommend? but my main concern is sell me on some features that Android has, what will I be missing out on?

2. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Custom rom, micro usb port, hdmi port, root unroot simple click, size can vary from 1.8"-40", you can get android for cheap, the os is almost everywhere in china you name it in the bathroom, cars, boats, scooters, usb sticks etc....

3. macrumors 68040

Access to file system,
    full Bluetooth capabilities,
    able to set default browser and apps,
    change keyboard,
    change launcher,
    toggles on notification screen,
    more lock screen options,
    Widgets,
    And anything else I missed.

Some other features depend on the specific device. Like NFC, DLNA, notification light, and etc.

4. macrumors 65816

THE JUICEMAN

I have been an iPhone user since 2007. (I am starting to repeat myself on these threads)

When I tried andoid in the past it was slow, buggy, laggy and the apps were not as good and iOS. All that is gone now. So that right there makes the platforms equal.

Where andoid excels is in customization. I stole this from another macrumors member so credit is given where credit is due. A common misconception is that android customization is about only looks. I used to think that too. But it goes way deeper than that. It is about customizing your user experience on the device. For example. I use chrome on the computer and my phone. In iOS I can't set chrome as the default browser and let links open straight to chrome. Why?? Because apple wants you to only use their browser (which is a very very good browser). But why can't I choose? It's my phone, isn't it?

Say I want a pattern lock screen, no lock screen, gestures, no icons on my home screen, home screen full of icons (iOS), widgets (haven't found them THAT useful yet but shouldn't I have the choice?) you can make android very complicated or super simple. It's your own choice.

These are obvious examples but I think you can get the idea of where I'm going.

Apple thinks thinks they know what's best for you and in a lot of cases they are right because they make amazing products.

But now that android has caught up in apps, smoothness and stability, I want the choice to tailor my user experience to what makes me happy and most productive and gives me the most enjoyment.

/EndSuperLongRant

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

I have no idea what launcher is
    Why would I need access to file system?
    I'm a basic user , the most I'll do to my phone is Jailbreak it ( it gets fun when it's jailbroken without a jailbreak a stock i5 is eeeh can get boring after a while)

Sharing is starting to get to me, I know on Android devices it's easier to share thing like videos+pics, for example on iOS its limited to messages, mail and that's it..
    another thing that bothers me big time, why cant I block a call , create a blacklist etc I believe it's a built in feature on some androids

----------

thanks good stuff you mentioned

6. macrumors 604

cynics

I find native USB hosting useful with a tablet (able to plug in any game controllers, keyboard, mouse, cameras, iPhone, etc etc) and they are functional.

7. macrumors 68040

For me, I'm getting an Android instead of iOS because I need transit directions. And Google Maps is awesome. Also, being able to put setting toggles on the home screen is awesome.

In general, Android is more open. And I think it's the better OS for a phone. Though I do like iOS as well.

8. macrumors 65816

I like setting my apps as defaults. (browser, email, etc)

I like using a different launcher (launcher apps gives you control, look, and behavior of the home screens)

I like having choice of weather app that displays in my notification pull down

I like widgets, my favorite one currently takes the default google calendar icon and allows the date to change similar to the iOS calendar.

overall the ability to do or change things i dislike of the default settings and mod or customize them to fit my needs. You do things your way not "their" way.

9. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Screen toggles truly is a beautiful thing. This is just left of my home screen:

[​IMG]

I love being able to toggle my lock screen off when I'm at home and don't want to constantly input my security to unlock it. When I go out, I toggle it back on. Ditto for sound profiles. At work? Toggle it to Vibrate only. When I get home, toggle it back to Loud. Not to mention toggling WiFi, etc. It takes a second, literally, to do these things.

Widgets are, in my opinion, a bit overrated, but toggle widgets are great.

10. macrumors 601

I have a silent/loud switch on the side of my phone, so it's available on every screen.

I never have to disable WiFi because the hit on battery life is so small it doesn't make any difference to me.

Security toggle is pretty cool.

11. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm using the most basics of toggle. With many apps, you can actually select specific apps you want to toggle. It's a very useful tool.

For example, the lightning looking toggle on my screen cap is the flashlight. Instant-on from the camera's flash. Great for in the dark. And the one on the left is brightness slider.

There's so much one can do.

12. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Here's just a couple of things that I can do with Android but cant with ios. Please note that this is how I have my phone set up and its the way I like it. What appeals to me might not appeal to others.

Screen 1

[​IMG]

This is my main home screen. I love having the time/date and weather automatically update. If I click on the time it takes me straight through to my alarm setting screen. Click on the weather and it gives me a 7 day forecast.

Ive then got my countdown app telling me how long till my next race. Gives me motivation everytime I unlock the screen.

Ive then got 4 apps that I use pretty often - Camera, Gallery, Flashlight and the Play store. Underneath I have links to Contacts, Email, App Draw, SMS and Internet.

Im also using a beautiful live wall paper - Which despite what people may say, dosent drain the battery!

Screen 2

[​IMG]

Calendar/Appointments app at the top
    Juice defender toggle and prop points widget
    Runtastic widget

If I click on any of the widgets, it takes me through to the app. However its nice to see the info I want on the screen without having to load the app.

Screen 3

[​IMG]

Shiftworker widget so I can see what shifts ive got coming up. Quick click on the widget brings up the entire month.

Video player and below that my music player.

I personally could never move over to a phone that dosent have widgets. Having all the information I want on different screens, so it only takes a swipe to see it. Of course some people dont need or want widgets, but its not until you use them that you realise how useful they really are.

Then theres the notification bar!

[​IMG]

You can slide the notification bar across and it shows more settings, but its nice and easy to get to.

13. macrumors 6502a

You should use a higher-quality image as your wallpaper.

14. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Ha, yeah, blown up it looks pretty bad. But on the small screen, the slight blur makes it look spacier. ;)

If there was a higher resolution version of that background, would be nice too.

15. macrumors 68000

VulchR

@OP: iOS has Apple customer service which is not perfect but excellent. And for iOS you are the customer, whereas in Android marketers and advertisers are the customer and information about you is the product. I think Android has come along very nicely as a mobile OS (although I still don't like the GUI), but Google's ulterior motive for offering Android is inescapable no matter how many widgets and toggles Android has.

16. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

What do you believe makes apple customer service so good?

As for the rest, your entitled to your opinion, but it becomes boring when people keep saying with Android your not a customer, without backing this up with any proof or evidence.

Ulterior motives? lol
    [​IMG]

17. macrumors 603

ChazUK

For me, unparalleled Google integration.

Using Google services I can move between Android, iOS, Windows Phone and all my data comes with me, it just happens that Android has the best integration so it is my primary platform.

Google Now sticks in my mind most recently. It prevented me from being late to a doctors appointment around a week ago, alerting me to leave 10 mins earlier than I'd scheduled due to traffic. I arrived to my appointment in time and would have definitely been late had I not left when Google Now had advised. Powerful stuff.

18. macrumors 68000

VulchR

Personal experience, like the genius who took pity on me and helped create a memorial slideshow for my father's funeral using iMovie.

Google do not charge for Android. They do not make money from providing Android to you or to the phone manufacturers. They do make money by providing information about you to advertisers and marketers. It's a different model than Apple's, and probably most people do not mind that. However, I do.

Feel free not to believe me, but you might want to investigate this link. ;)

19. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Just curious, you don't use any Google services? Even just Googling stuff? I'm genuinely curious.

20. macrumors 65816

Dave.UK

Thats of course if you live near an apple store. Theres not that many around and my closest would be a 200 mile round trip.

Regarding the rest, im more then happy with that. Google are upfront and ask for various permissions as to what they can do with their data.

21. macrumors 603

ChazUK

They do make something off of licencing Google Play (formerly Android Market) which is why the nipped it in the bud when Cyanogenmod ROMs were being distributed with the Android Market and Google Apps included in the ROM.

http://android-developers.blogspot.co.uk/2009/09/note-on-google-apps-for-android.html

Android isn't the free-for-all that some people think it is to handset manufacturers. ;):p

22. macrumors 68000

VulchR

The only Google service I use is its search engine, and then rarely. If Google offered a service that didn't collect information about me, I would be very interested in Android and the rest of Google's ecosystem. Like I said, I know most people are fine with Google and Android, but the marketing thing sits uneasy with me. I know Apple has tried to collect information about users as well, but at least iOS is not predicated on that. Apple has a direct relationship with its iOS users - they are Apple's customers. I also think that counts for something.

[Awaits tinfoil hat comments :p]

23. macrumors 6502a

spblat

I like how Android's wallpaper shifts as you flip between pages.

I really like how you can put widgets on the home screen like weather or toggles. If the pull-down iOS notification screen had optional toggles for things like bluetooth or wifi or screen brightness, that would go a long way.

I think I would like to have an animated wallpaper.

These aren't features that tempt me away from iOS given my perception of the other advantages of sticking with Apple.

24. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

What is so bad about Google collecting data? My [likely limited] understanding is that they do it to have more focused ads aimed at you. Is that all? That bothers you? Isn't it your choice not to buy or click on the ads? I mean, you'll likely see ads anyway?

Not being disingenuous. I'm curious about this because I'm wondering myself.

25. macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm using both daily an iPhone 5 and an HTC One X running ICS. I am looking forward to a 4.1 phone, having just played with the "butter" experience in a few stores.

The great things about Android are many but first is the integration with Google services. The home screen/widgets thing is pretty nice as well although i can't really say its better organized, just different. The only widget i really rely on is weather and perhaps email, but then on iOS you active active icons for mail.

Having said all that, i can not see a compelling reason to leave iOS personally and only go Android. iOS seems to have a better overall fit and finish imo, and when you are within apps or even switching it seems a bit more elegant.

To be sure Android is nice though.