What does E stand for ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surajnangia, Oct 13, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi ... bought my new iphone.... what does the letter E stand for next to the service provider Logo on the home screen.... and how do i get rid of that,,,, cheers

2. macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

It stands for Edge, and I don't think you can remove it.

3. macrumors G4

daneoni

EDGE connectivity....not sure if you can

4. macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Why would you want to get rid of it? It shows you when you have Edge connectivity.

5. macrumors 6502

ecks618

I would like mine replaced with either a 3G or a 4G. Would be nice, I can dream can't I.

6. macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

The why of the why

He'd want to get rid of it because he didn't know what it stood for - probably assuming it was a company logo or something - which is why he came here. :)

The "E" is there when you have a connection to Ma Bell's Edge network, which is what gives you the data connection (for running Safari, etc.). There may be times when you have a phone signal (and can call or text) but not have an Edge signal (and can't access the internet, your mail, etc.)

And that's why you need the "E" - it is to your data what the bars are to your phone features.

7. macrumors member

My blackberry would alternate between showing "EDGE", "edge", and "GPRS" to indicate various levels of connectivity. Not sure yet what the iPhone will show.

8. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

The E wil be replaced by the wifi indicator when you are on wifi.

9. macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

E stands for EDGE. The very slow mobile internet.

10. macrumors 68000

JonHimself

But mobile internet nonetheless

11. macrumors newbie

b1NARY73

Soon young padawan!:)

12. macrumors member

You can get rid of it! Dont listen to these people who probably dont even own an iPhone. ;)

Go into settings-> wi-fi-> turn wi-fi on, and then select a wireless network, and the E will be gone. Replaced by a wi-fi signal indicator.

Just never move from your current location or only travel in areas where there is wi-fi and you never have to experience the E again. :rolleyes:

13. macrumors 68040

nickspohn

If you didn't know what the E stood for..

And you bought the phone knowing it didn't have 3G..

Take your sarcasm elsewhere.

14. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

You could get rid of it by going into airplane mode but I am not sure you'd rather get used to the E

15. macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I don't know why but when i saw this post made me think of when the E channel would have celebs say E all the damn time in promo spots

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:D

16. macrumors 601

macduke

My first thought was how everything in the late 90's had a lowercase "e" in front of it. I wonder if lowercase "e" is jealous of lowercase "i" for stealing his thunder. Just think, we might all have ePods right now and ePhones. Good grief that sounds disgusting when I say it out loud.

Now that my eMac nostalgia is out of the way, let me say this: There is a way you can use a Windows Mobile dumbphone smartphone that has 3g to create a wifi hotspot in your pants (sexy) that your iPhone can have constant access to. Kinda a pain in the...er...pants, but it's doable.