What does educational discount apply to?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. MacBook, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

Feb 28, 2007
    What do you have to be to have an "educational discount"

how much discount do you get?

Oh, does this apply to refurbished items?
  2. TheManOfSilver macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2004
    You usually have to be a student (or teacher for school purchases).

The discount is variable, and is shown on the educational Apple Store for your institution, or at your campus computer store if you have one. Often close to 10% on hardware, more on software, less on 3rd party accessories.

There are occasional hot deals, but I'm not sure if there are always refurbished options.
  3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    You must be a student at a higher-education institution (i.e. college), or a faculty member at any elementary, junior or high school, or a college.
  4. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Click on the education store and read the details.... discounts range from 0 to 200 depending on the price and product ( higher price generally equates to a higher discount ). Generally the discounts do not apply to refurbished as they are already discounted.

Basically you have to be a student, faculty, or staff at any accredited institution for learning or can provide sufficient documentation of homeschooling status.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    You have to be a student at a college or university, or faculty/staff at a K-12 or college/university. The discount varies based on the item, for cheap stuff it's generally 10%, and that's a reasonable ballpark figure for the more expensive stuff, though it can vary a fair amount. Don't know about refurbished items...
  6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    "your purchase!"

An Apple product!!

How much they say you get!

Kidding aside (and bad kidding at that!):D

I agree with the above posters...but I would add that Apple occasionally has a different refurb. or specials under the "looking for a great deal" link. I have seen this on two separate occasions when browsing the apple.com store. So if you are an educator or student check those out to be sure there isn't a great deal that might not be available to the general public.