What Does iPhone/Smartphone Really Cost Monthly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ArchiMark, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ArchiMark, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

macrumors 6502

I know that everyone's usage is different...but hope I can still get some input...

Haven't had a data plan yet for any smartphone....just have a dumb cellphone....would like to know what is the real monthly total cost that you get billed for for minimal use of an iPhone...in other words should I expect with monthly service charge, taxes, fees, etc, about $75 per month or ??

Or if easier what is the range I should expect to see monthly?

Currently, on AT&T in SF Bay Area, but can switch to other carrier if I want...

Thanks for any all input!

2. macrumors 6502a

On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.

3. macrumors member

Er, simply put...

(up-front cost + (monthly tariff x contract length) + optional extras) / contract length = total monthly cost

The up-front cost and monthly tariff will vary massively based on how many minutes/data/texts you want and the length of the contract. Can't you just get those costs yourself and put them into a spreadsheet to see which provider and tariff you would be better off using? :confused:

4. macrumors 68040

Just go on the AT&T website and act like you were setting up a new plan. You'll find that the cost will differ, but in the 80-100 bucks range, yes.

But then the real-world cost of that is higher. Any subscriptions you might have, apps, things you buy for the device, etc.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input!....so, without your company discount it would cost about $100/month.....

6. macrumors 68000

Wow, I pay $60 a month for a family plan with 4 lines (for non-smartphones).

What a rip!

7. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

75 ish bucks a month but I get 10 bucks off from work. I have the 2 gig plan and never go over.I have the 450 anytime minutes plan and 1500 messages plan. Don't come close to going over those either

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your input....will try that....but as you say, 'cost will differ'...that's exactly my point in asking this question.....wanted to see what people really pay per month, not what is advertized as monthly cost....

9. macrumors member

:eek:

Cripes... For £25 a month I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. If I wanted to switch carriers, I could get 400 minutes with unlimited texts and data for just £15 per month...is it really that much more expensive in the US?!

10. macrumors 68040

Well, that's what I meant. How much data do you want? As a first-time smartphone user, you're probably fine with just 2 GB, but then some people on AT&T go with the cheaper data option. How many minutes do you need? Unlimited texts?

Only questions you can answer, but expect at least 75 a month before taxes.

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

Of course I can do that and have done that before.....however, as others have stated, the real 'costs usually differ' and I'll bet usually higher....so, just wanted to get some 'real world data', not just rely on what companies advertize as cost.....

12. macrumors 6502

I pay just over $80 a month. That's for:
    - Smallest voice plan (450 I think)
    - 2GB Data
    - Unlimited messaging
    - 15% discount from my work.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502

I pay $55-60 per month on a AT&T Family plan now...but we're comparing this to plans with data plan...so, different animal....

----------

Thanks, sounds like I guessed correctly....have to check if my company has discount....

----------

Got it, thanks for the info.....don't need many minutes at all....don't talk much... :) maybe 100-200 max.....2GB is prob OK or even less I'd guess...would hardly text either....just would like to do some email and websurfing primarily.....plus use a few apps.....calendar and ToDo's, and a game or two....

----------

Thanks for your input....so, seems pretty clear that for 'basic usage' expect bill around $75-80 per month and of course possible to be higher depending upon plan, usage, etc.....

14. macrumors 65816

you say that now but not having owned a smartphone before your walking into a whole new world. You will be streaming music off pandora, streaming movies off netflix, using GPS, takings pics/vids of things you might normally not and uploading them to facebook or twitter, etc. Don't waste any money on a texting plan, theres many free alternatives at this point. (google voice, facebook messenger, google+, text-free app.)

15. macrumors 68030

FreakinEurekan

I pay $107.84 to AT&T after all taxes and fees. This includes 550 minutes with rollover (family plan, but does not include the charges for the 2nd phone) - 4GB data with tethering - and 200 text messages/month (which I don't think is offered as an option any more).

I think the tethering is about $20 of that price, so if I didn't want tethering I'd be at around $88.

16. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

50$
    5oomb of data
    unlimeted text
    200 minutes of local calls
    30 min of long distances

17. macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I pay $50 a month on AT&T for 400 minutes unlimited texting and unlimited data.

18. macrumors 68040

acfusion29

$50/month here on Rogers in Canada, and i have everything

btw, the thread title should be "what does a smartphone really cost per month" .. iPhone's aren't more expensive than any other smartphone out there.

19. macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

LOL same

20. macrumors 68020

Family plan with 4 iPhones, 700 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on each line, mobile to ANY mobile.

With 25% discount on each line for data and 25% discount on primary line with taxes our monthly bill is $225.

21. macrumors 68040

Honestly (for USA users), this is almost a pointless thread. I am not being sarcastic.

But both ATT/Verizon charge almost identical prices for voice/data. The only difference is that ATT users can pay $15 for a limited data plan in addition to their $25/2GB data plan while Verizon only gives users a 2GB/$30 data option. Other users maybe grandfathered to $30 "unlimited" data plans.

You can change this thread to "What does a smartphone cost monthly? instead of using the word iPhone"

As always, check with your affiliations/schools/employers because you can get significant discounts up to 25% a many places off your monthly plans.

22. macrumors 6502

Agree, seems steep. Do the US customers pay a lower fee for their phones though, with much more of the subsidised handset costs being spread over the duration of the contract?

23. macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

If I buy the iPhone 5 outright (£500) and put a monthly sim in it (£10) over the 24 months it'll work as £30.80 per month for 250 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet so that's good enough for me. And then the phone will also be unlocked which is even better.

Only chance I'll get the phone on contract is if 3 offer their £35pm deal and £69 for the phone as at least that way I won't have to fork out £500 in one go.

24. miamialley, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

macrumors 68020

miamialley

AT&T - Miami
    $85
    450 anytime
    1000 text messages
    5000 night/weekends
    Roll over minutes
    Free AT&T mobile to mobile
    2GB data
    iPhone 4

25. macrumors 6502

$59/month on Telus in Canada after taxes

200 anytime minutes
    My5 Nationwide Unlimited Talk/Text
    Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
    2500 Texts
    500MB Data
    CallerID, VM, Call Waiting

I rarely start to tap into my anytime minutes cause the other features cover most of my time (and I average close to 1000 minutes per month of total call time). Data is never an issue, rarely go over 100MB/month