what does it mean when a stick car accelerator ped is sensitvie?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Alag28, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Alag28 macrumors 6502

cud be a weird ques but idk...like for example my dasds honda 94 stick car , the accelerator pedal is really sensitive..u have to really give it a light touch so u dont over rev and im getting the over rev on 1st quite a lot like im hitting 3500 rev. Im a newbie to sticks however i know how to drive one now and their fun I LOVE THEM. With this being said, did i learn stick on a harder car? or a stick is a stick?? reason im saying this, again, the gas pedal is really sensitive a very light touch is needed to stay under 1500-2000 rev.

my friends nissan sentra stick is much more "normal" meaning he dosent have the high rev with a push of the gas pedal on 1st gear..he takes off like a auto almost.

thats why im asking this ques ^^^^

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it pretty much comes down to throttle sensitivity and your first gear ratio's height. Unless something mechanical has failed, both of these are dependant on how your car's manufacturer decided to set the car up. Although it's related to the gearbox, it's not related to the fact a car has a manual or automatic gearbox as such, unless your clutch is slipping and the initial high revs are because it's not in gear. Hopefully a far brainier member can come by and help you out more. :)

3. Alag28 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's you. You have too heavy a foot. It sounds like you do not have much experience driving, and particularly driving this car. Every new car you drive feels "sensitive" or odd until you get used to it and develop the feel for the car's pedals, etc.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

As for learning on a hard car, not really. Hondas are pretty forgiving to ham fisted-ness. Subarus, on the other hand...

Well, at least I can say I can heel-and-toe now. I have to if I want to get back into first easily. :D

7. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

its not the car...

you need to drive more and get a little experience behind you.

8. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Just put a heavier throttle return spring on there.