Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
Will we be able to upgrade to new aTV software release? I would like to be able to stream netflix.

But I am guessing not....unless you completely give up syncing with local content?

Hopefully they will have some info on their website later today for existing users.

zerostar

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
South Florida
Will we be able to upgrade to new aTV software release? I would like to be able to stream netflix.

But I am guessing not....unless you completely give up syncing with local content?

Hopefully they will have some info on their website later today for existing users.

UGH I hope so... but doubt it :( I would love to stream netflix, the PS3 Disc is a real pain, I may buy an Apple TV for the Bedroom to see how it goes, but I like XBMC too much right now...

Will the new AppleTV stream avi/xvid movies or are we stuck with mpeg-4 all the way?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I am guessing we 1st gen ATV owners will now be 1st gen iPhone'd out of the market. Forced obsolesce , Don't you love it.

Im not buying the new one, and now im unlikely to spend anymore money on iTunes on movie or TV purchases, if i cant buy the Shows direct on my ATV unit, im not going to buy them in iTunes , wait for the download to complete, and go through the hassle of syncing them, to then watch them on the TV, when i used to click purchase on screen, and watch in seconds.

Back to buying DvDs for me, I Occasionally used to rent a Film, but i have purchased over 2TB of TV shows, and quite frankly, i don't care how cheap a TV rental is, im not going to rent something i get for free over the air, there is no market in TV show rentals, either you need a subscription model and compete with Sat or Cable, or you sell programs , even at 99c a rental, im not spending $20+ a season for all the shows i watch EVERY YEAR, to only be able to watch the show ONCE.

Also i liked my 1st Gens ATVs internal HDD, i could load it up with movies and TV shows and take it away on holiday, or to friends houses for beer and bad movie nights.

Typical apple though, 50% of a brilliant idea Improved by adding nothing, and removing functionality people use.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I use my AppleTV mostly for music, which is synced so I don't have to have my computer on. As long as they keep the sync capability for the AppleTV "Classic", I'll be okay.

In addition to the lack of local storage, there is one other showstopper for me: the lack of analog audio outputs. I run a 2-zone audio setup, so I can listen to music in my living room and on my patio at the same time. The vast majority of home theater receivers will only output digital audio (coax, optical or HDMI) to Zone 1. To use Zone 2, you need to run analog outputs into additional inputs and route that to the secondary zone.

So, not only will the new AppleTV not be able to replace my existing one, but it won't replace my Roku NetFlix player. While I don't care about NetFlix in Zone 2, I also use the Roku for Pandora. No analog audio is a showstopper there, too.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
Guarantee there will be a software update so you get the features that let you give Apple more $$$. Aka TV show rentals.

thankins

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
That's my thought too. I don't care about TV rentals but I do want Netflix streaming.

Engadget is reporting no updates for old AppleTVs

Update: We just got confirmation from Apple that the new Apple TV will be streaming 720p video only (no big surprise there), and that existing Apple TVs won't be getting an upgrade to the new cloud-based software (again, not a shocker).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple-announcing-new-apple-tv/

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Engadget is reporting no updates for old AppleTVs.

Bummer. Well, I got 3 good years out of mine. Time for it to move to the kids' room and dad will get the new one for the family room where everyone can enjoy Netflix.

What the heck - it's only $99.

below sea level

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I stream everything from my media server so don't use the hard drive anyway, but it is nice to know I can sync a pile of stuff to it and take it on vacation with me...

I expect to see a software update in 4 weeks, as that is when the new model is expected to ship. As long as that update gives me the ability to stream my Netflix, I'll be happy. That would make my current aTV better than the new one anyway.

EDIT - according to the post above, not going to happen. Looks like I'll still with streaming Netflix from the Wii.

Jmacman78

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2007
Northwest, CT
I'd love a software update and to just keep my current AppleTV but I guess I'll be spending $99.
I really want the Netflix streaming. I stream most of my stuff on my current one anyway from iTunes.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Update: We just got confirmation from Apple that the new Apple TV will be streaming 720p video only (no big surprise there), and that existing Apple TVs won't be getting an upgrade to the new cloud-based software (again, not a shocker).

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/01/apple-announcing-new-apple-tv/

Of course we won't get a whole new OS but I'm betting we'll see a minor point update that enables TV show renting. Apple tends to support features on older devices that make them money, if nothing else.

PDelahanty

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Boston, MA
Boo!

I think Apple still hasn't figured out that what most people actually want is a DVR. I'm not going to buy the TV content when I'm already paying the cable company to bring it to my house. ...and we're not yet at a point where I can get everything online (legally) and replace the cable company.

...but I will continue to use my old 160Gb (or whatever it is) AppleTV. It's great for when I don't have the computer on. ...or when I don't want to be streaming that content over my wifi. (It kills my VPN connection when I sync the AppleTV while I work from home via VPN.)

slate1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
I think Tivo has a lock on that.

Actually, I'd say DirectTV, Dish, and your local cable company have a lock on that more than Tivo...

I've never understood why so many people want the aTV to have DVR capability, are there that many folks out there pulling TV over the air?

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
Yep iTunes sync will eventually break with Apple TV hopefully not in iTunes 10. But once it does it's useless.

I can't believe ATV is now 4 Years old. Is that right? Came out in 2006?

I use the thing all the time. I would welcome a faster version, but I'd hate for the old one to become useless. Hopefully we can jailbreak the thing and use XBMC to maintain compatability.

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
New Apple TV is only useful for people with high bandwidth connections, if you live up in the hills with only hughesnet this form of Apple TV is useless. Also like a previous post mentioned streaming from your computer is only possible if your computer is on.

I love being able to turn music on in any room in the house with iPhone remote through airtunes. Let's hope Apple continues to honor the products and lifestyle they have already sold to us.

Too bad they could not have just stuck a usb port on the back for a little extra hard drive space. Hope I don't have to learn how to hack my ATV classic.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Since I can already do Netflix on my PS3, I'll just hang on to my old 40GB Apple TV since it doesn't look like the new one really breaks any other significant new ground.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I definitely read on Engadget, Gizmodo, or MacRumors that the previous generation Apple TV's wl get a software update including the ability to rent content, though I'm not sure Apple ported the rest of the features and new touches to the Intel-platform. My guess would be no.

Terry W

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2007
NYC
Yep iTunes sync will eventually break with Apple TV hopefully not in iTunes 10. But once it does it's useless.

From what I can tell, iTunes 10 has killed the ability to synch content to the old ATV. I have a first gen ATV that was connected to an old iTunes Library due to a hard drive crash and so it wasn't showing up in iTunes under Devices.

When I added the "new computer" via settings, the ATV showed up in iTunes under Devices, but there are only two tabs: Settings (which does nothing) and Photos (which allows me to share Photos, but won't port them to the device).

I made the stupid mistake of de-linking from the old iTunes Library so all of my content on the ATV was wiped, so now I have to play content streamed from my computer.

Does this mean we are also stuck with the stock photos for the screen saver too? This doesn't seem like it was too well thought out...

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
From what I can tell, iTunes 10 has killed the ability to synch content to the old ATV. I have a first gen ATV that was connected to an old iTunes Library due to a hard drive crash and so it wasn't showing up in iTunes under Devices.

I have 2 Apple TVs that use an iTunes 10 library that I recently upgraded from iTunes 9. Everything is working fine for me, including syncing (I sync all music, but stream all video). Your difficulties are probably specific to your situation.

If I were in your shoes, I would break the connection from the Apple TV to the library and recreate the connection from scratch. It might even be worth resetting the Apple TV to factory defaults, just to make sure you're starting from a clean slate.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario

When I added the "new computer" via settings, the ATV showed up in iTunes under Devices, but there are only two tabs: Settings (which does nothing) and Photos (which allows me to share Photos, but won't port them to the device).

I made the stupid mistake of de-linking from the old iTunes Library so all of my content on the ATV was wiped, so now I have to play content streamed from my computer.

Does this mean we are also stuck with the stock photos for the screen saver too? This doesn't seem like it was too well thought out...

If you choose custom sync, all the options are there.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

No problems here either. As Cliff3 suggested, remove the :apple:TV from your iTunes device list and re-establish the link--should fix your problem and allow you to resync your library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.