Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
I just started a multimedia class this semester and our first question is to find out what .swf stands for since we are going to be learning flash. Now, my first thought would be that it stands for (Shock Wave Flash), but I was told that .swf is not what it stands for. I know .swf is the exported format that browers can view, but my instructor is looking for the technical meaning.

It is not single white femail either:D

Thanks in advance, and yes I did search on google for it.

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by macstudent
I found out today that .swf means:

small web format

Hmmmmm, I'd switch course if that's what the lecturer says. He's very very wrong. There are many ways I can qualify this from quoting this link,...actually I can't be bothered. Dude, you were right at the start.

If you look at the different extensions around (HTML, XML, ASP....) and you know that since flash produces shockwave flash output then that has to be the logical meaning.

I'd be interested to know where that source came from thou!

Gaz

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Wow. I would have agreed with the majority, but a quick Yahoo search turned up this page at O'Reilly which states:

When the movie is ready to go on the Web, it must be exported to .swf format. The suffix originally stood for "Shockwave Flash," but in the face of confusion with Macromedia's Shockwave for Director format, Macromedia has changed its tune and now translates .swf to "Small Web Format."

So it seems as if the lecturer is correct!

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
D'oh.

Send my apologise to your lecturer. Still think the original is better, anyway on a passing note, if you ask someone what program makes small web format files, I guess they would not be too sure of the answer. In truth, knowing the correct meaning is a little pointless; unless you have an exam on it :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.