What does the Ambient Light sensor on the Mini do?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ConfusedBatman, Jul 6, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I have no idea. It doesn't even change brightness.

2. macrumors 6502a

ambient light sensor? Do you mean the IR sensor? It detects remote controls...

3. thread starter macrumors regular

The Black dot isn't an ambient light sensor? Sheet.

4. macrumors 6502

Nope. Used for apple remotes.

5. macrumors 6502a

Hence apple sells remotes for the mini, older models came with remotes and their long standing popularity as htpcs.

6. macrumors 68000

Really curious which ones. Have 3 mini's, none came with a remote.

7. macrumors 65816

Who told you it was an ambient light sensor? That's not the sort of thing you just assume. I am interested to know :)

----------

The remotes have no genuine function anyway on a mini. I bought one assuming I could control iTunes like I do on ATV3. What a waste of money. Well as least I have a backup remote now.

8. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

opinio, not sure about your setup - but on my 2010 mini, the remote does quite a lot - via front row. Does yours not?

9. APlotdevice, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Apple discontinued Front Row in 2011. They've also removed the IR sensor from all the hardware redesigns after that.

10. macrumors 65816

I looked at front row that I used to have in an older version of OSX but and I understand it uses iTunes in the back end but I wanted it to navigate itunes itself because my two young girls know itunes inside-out and they use the Apple touch pad for it. Front row is more of an ATV style GUI right? Anyway they were complaining at the time so I went back to old (not so old) faithful because it is what they use (Apple Touchpad w/ iTunes).

But all I remember is that the only thing you could do in iTunes with the remote was play. You couldn't navigate through movies, music etc. Please prove me wrong otherwise. I only spent 5 minutes at the time and gave up.

I might take a second look at Front Row. I have so many audio/visual apps already though.

----------

So the IR sensor in the current 2012 mini is a relic from yesteryear? Wooo how retro :)

11. macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Did not realize they ditched it, reason # 435 I'm glad I stuck with SL.

So, Apple kept the IR sensor in the hardware, but removed the OS based functionality it once provided?

Why does this not surprise me? :rolleyes:

Edit: FYI, on the US Apple site - it still lists the IR port for the Mini.

12. macrumors regular

IR functionality still exists. One of the uses for my 2011 Mini is as a HTPC running Plex, and it works awesome with my Harmony remote.

13. macrumors member

IR is great, I use it all the time when watching DVDs, to put the mini to sleep etc...

14. macrumors 6502a

I use mine to control both my minis at the same time to mute them when I have to take a call.