What does the future look like for the iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tinydancer, Nov 29, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2004
    North Carolina
    I know that we haven't really had these new G5 iMacs out very long, so I'm not trying to jump the gun here, but I am wondering where the iMac goes from here--in terms of design. The trend seems to be "less is best", with regard to the physcial structure. Where once the G4 iMac was simplistic, the new G5 iMac is much more so. Thus, where does Apple take the design from here. I guess the display/computer can always become thinner as time goes on, but I don't think that that will satisfy Apple's design team. So I'm interested in what you all think might imerge in the future, with regard to iMac design.
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    that town east of ann arbor
    it'll be a long time till a new imac model is developed - 4 - 5 years perhaps. you would also have to consider that new computer model trends change over time. seeing as how the imac has always stood for an all in one box computer, i could see it evolving into a thinner machine. everything blue tooth and wi-fi (although it already is), but perhaps when the time comes it will be more of a media center type machine. where you integrate it with your stereo, and your tv for gaming/tivo capabilities.

now how they can make it more compact, while still keeping up with design and workflow - is always a bit of a wonder when it comes to light.
  3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    the imac will evolve into a digital hub.
    that means for now the form factor will remain the same, probably thinner.

but its connectivity to stereo, tv will be improved. at the same time the integration of internet and tv will go on and the imac/ilife combination will drive this.

so i don't think we will see a major form factor change for the next 5 years. it is more the software and some gadgets that will change.

after that the imac will be finally headless. because you will surf the web via your hdtv screen in your living room, type your excel sheets in your office, listen to music in your kitchen and the imac is that cool metallic cube next to the chimney or wherever you want it to be.

in the distant future you will plug the imac directly into the back of your head. you know where that leads to you all have seen matrix.......
  4. dongmin macrumors 68000

Jan 3, 2002
    I don't think the form factor of the iMac will change all that much in the next few years. As you say, it'll get thinner and more compact. Perhaps different materials/colors for the casing.

But in terms of funtionality, you should see some significant new technologies to make its way into the iMac, including:

-wireless firewire
    -integration with TV
    -built-in iSight
    -voice recognition (remember that patent to cancel out ambient noise?)
    -closer integration with iPods (built-in docks???)
  5. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    They lost the "flexibility" of the iMac G4 in the iMac G5.

What can be done in the future iMac line.

Lighter, thinner, cooler (as in heat wise),
    No White Bar on the bottom, and or a frame-less display.
    Speakers, external ones. or better sounding internal placement.
    Loose the ugly stand, even if VESA is optional.

It all heading to the same thing, only the screen is the computer.

And tablet PC. ;) :)
  6. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    I reckon the next iMac will be more of a showpiece. I dunno, maybe some integrated lights in it or something.

It'll be the sort of thing where you *want* to leave it on the coffee table to show it off to everybody, but they will all be wondering 'What is that? Art? It cant be a computer - surely not?!'

At least I hope so. Pretty much everybody that has seen my iMac has said 'wow. where's the computer' :D

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
  8. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    wider screens... I see the 17" going away before we see a redesign of the current model. A 30" iMac would be cool.. the wider the screen the less white empty sapce needed near the bottom.
  9. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Well, I say the iMac will get thinner. Thin as an iBook or PB is right now with even faster, more expandability a.k.a. replacable parts/upgradable parts.
  10. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    OLED or LCD

Some have mentioned this above, but i think it is worth repeating.

Toshiba is contemplating making a HDTV (probably with LCD) in 2006 using the Cell CPU. Potentially this is an direction we will see computer in the future. A 42" LCD screen in your bedroom/living room/den that happens to run OSX and gives you TV at the same time?

I know, I know, another merger idea.

If the above idea doesn't work, I don't think we'll see the iMac going much further. It will be laptop/large LCD television vision scenario.

just two thoughts,