What does the ipod mini include ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by kjs862, Feb 1, 2004.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I recently preordered the ipod mini. Do I also need to purchase the iPod mini dock if I want to add songs to it or does it come with its own way to transfer music onto it? Thanks

Ken

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't own one, but I am almost possitive you can transfer songs onto it with the included firewire cable. (or usb 2 if you have a PC). The dock can also be used to charge/transfer songs over to the mini iPod.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The dock is included? I Thought it wasn't. On the website it always says the "optional" dock. I would be very happy if it did come with the dock though!

5. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Who knows?

This is an interesting question that I don't anyone will be able to answer for sure until it comes out. When I was at MWSF looking at the iPod mini, I asked one of the Apple guys if it came with the dock, and he told me it did. But then on the website, it does say "optional." I tend to believe the info on Apple's website, but I also wouldn't think that the Apple employees at Macworld would be wrong. Personally, I think it should for the price. That would be one advantage to getting the iPod mini for $249 instead of the 15GB iPod for $300.

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Mini Dock

YOU DON'T NEED A DOCK TO TRANSFER MUSIC TO ANY IPOD!!!!
    The dock just makes the iPod easier to sync to the computer (you don't have to unplug the cord each time).
    The dock is nice, but NOT required.
    Note....if you look at the cord attached to the dock, you might notice the bottom of the iPod has the SAME connection...

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Mini Dock

calm down there man, i don't think anyone was saying that he couldn't transfer music right out of the box, but it would be cool if the dock was included, seeing as it's such a desired option. the dock is the only thing that i miss having on my 2G iPod... i just don't think i could like the new button layout tho... and the mini-iPod is too small for my collection... ah well :)

paul

8. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Mini Dock

I think as time goes by and smaller hard disks with larger capacity are developed, we'll see the iPod mini form-factor become the de-facto standard, and the regular iPod discontinued. Of course, this will only happen when the mini reaches at least 20GB, so it'll be a while.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

But by that time, there will be 80 and/or 100GB drives the size for the regular iPod, and some people will need that space.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

clarification...

i not want 2 get upse, just wanted 2 get everyone on the same page...

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Solution...

I was just yelling to get ppl's attention. It has been brought to my attention many times that consumers think they NEED the dock to connect to a computer, or that the low end iPod has a diff port on the bottom than the 20 or 40 gig models. I do LOVE my dock though, just want to make sure ppl buy a dock for the right reasons, not based on a false assumption that they NEED it.

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Given how handy it is, I think it is a necessity :D