What does the the "i" in iLife stand for?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reckless_0001, Feb 10, 2005.

1. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

What does the the "i" in iLife stand for? also iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD..etc :confused:

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

It started with the iMac. I believe the "i" was for "Internet."

and the "e" in "eMac" was for "education."

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep, all started with the iMac, i was there for internet, because they claimed it was the fastest computer to get out of the box and started up and online....

4. reckless_0001 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. believo macrumors regular

believo

it's pretty funny that apple has now prefixed a good portion of their product names with "i" and none of the products really have to do with the internet.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and not only has apple done it, but countless of other companies, it just turned out to be such a good marketing scheme, and it works, and it gives the idea that its personal, to me at least, iLife, you know, my life

7. believo macrumors regular

believo

yeah, exacty.. and if you you know the story about apple's logo representing adam & eve and the forbidden fruit, 6 colors (old school logo), etc.... it really fits into their whole marketing scheme.

8. frequeniquity macrumors member

frequeniquity

i thought steve jobs was an interim Ceo so he called himself an iCEO and the i stuck around.

9. denm316 macrumors 6502

yeah like iPod, last time I checked I could not get on the iNternet with my iPod.

10. topher macrumors member

internetPOD

I think that the i in iPod was actually part of an original acronym. Each of the four letters actually stood for something (I think the P was either for personal or portable, and the D was for disk or drive).

I'm not entirely sure, and I haven't been able to find this info on the internet in the last year or so, so someone who can either corroborate or prove me wrong would be welcome.

Anyway, while the i in iMac and iBook was originally meant to point to the internet, and while the i in iLife could Potentially be argued to do the same, the i in iPod meant something else.

The fact that it was probably named what it was to fall into a scheme that seemed to be working for Apple is probably more to the point, but I'm curious if anyone can vouch for what I'm suggesting...

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The i in iLife stands for...

Impressive, ideal, immaculate, imagination, intelligent, interesting, immersive, immediate, illuminating, independent...

And don't forget ice-cream... ;)

12. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

i was indeed for internet, referring to the iMac; because originally the machine was conceived as a network computer (that is internet access and little else) which led to the name. However, that idea was abandoned, as it appeared the market demanded something more functional, but the name stuck.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think this is one of those many cases where the acronyms and initials come first and what they stand for comes second. It just sounds good.

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

What the heck are you smoking? :confused:

The 'i' stands for "internet" and it all started with the G3 iMac.

Apple got their name because of a few reasons:
    1) it came before Atari in the phonebook
    2) Nothing that the Steve's were able to come up with could match it
    Jobs called Woz and said "I've got it!" and afterwards they weren't able to figure out anything that sounded better. They tried pretty hard, too.

16. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Makes sense...the idiots put ILife or I-Life

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    It's also fun to think of things that the "i" could stand for, I mean, why be limited to a corporate marketing scheme:

"i" could mean "instant", "interesting", "insanely great", "if", "incidious marketing", "i want", "imbibe", "illustrative" and so forth...

But yes, I believe the original Apple meaning of the "i" was Internet.

18. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

i is for interactive.

apple's acro.

all people progress and later evolve

19. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'd always heard that the "i" originally stood for "internet." After the iMac's initial success, Apple took advantage of the brand recognition and started naming more products with the "i" (iTools, iTunes, etc). That in turn caused the press and pundits and such to start using the "i" to look witty, or in parody (iCEO, iProduct, etc). If I'm remembering right, that's the chronological sequence of events.

The eMac was the iMac for education, hence the e....but over time, Apple's iNamed products have lost the "internet" association, and now an iSomething pretty much connotes an Apple branded product (though other companies use the "i" as a tech-sounding prefix for their own products too).

20. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

That crappy $300 paperweight the I-RIVER or whatever it is called, for instance.

Asking what the i in iLife stands for is like asking what the S in S Club stands for :)

21. neoserver macrumors 6502

I think along the lines that the "i" is similar to "my." kind of like "It is I" instead of "It is me."

Think about it.

myPod, myTunes,MyPhoto,MyCal, etc...

It just makes sense to me

22. phoomp macrumors newbie

The "i" in iLife means exactly the same thing that the use of the "i" by every other copier of the "i" in iMac does ... nothing at all, except that the "i" in iMac was clever

23. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Yesteryear: i as in Internet, the iMac was designed to be good for going online.

Now: First person pronoun, English language, nominative case. The i-series products are generally intended for individual personal use, though businesses and schools use them too.

24. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I tought that it was that "i" in "me/you"
    iLife = my life
    iPod = my pod
    iMac = my mac

just a suggestion :rolleyes:

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero