What does this error mean?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeeYouEye, Apr 26, 2003.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Or more specifically, WTF is up with that last line of it?

"Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself", for those who don't want to look at the PDF. That's how it is exactly.

Attached Files:

2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

That's a weird one. What's the context of it popping up? Sending? Composing?

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

was there anything unusual about the address you were mailing to? did the error occur (more than a few seconds) AFTER you sent the message? like, it sent, hit the server, and the server returned the error that's listed in the box?

that's what i'd think-- malfunction elsewhere, not with Mail itself...

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

'a '.' on the line by itself'

hm... what are you trying to do open mail?

I think its time to re-download mail app...

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the more i think about it, the more i'm convinced that it is simply Mail telling you exactly what the outgoing mail server told it-- either Mail is screwing up the outgoing message protocol, or the server is misconfigured. Does it do it with all messages you send, or just the ones to the Omnigroup?

pnw

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

First, as always, is your system up to date (Mac X 10.2.5)?

Second, instead of echoing the previous suggestions, let me ask: Have you ran an fsck -y to see if any problems come up?

Also, do you have any "rules" set up for the program Mail that may conflict against certain unique situations?

7. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

An update: I think it was a malfunction in Mail.app; a while later, I tried deleting a message, and instead of going to the trash, it went to the outbox, and Mail crashed. Since then, I haven't been able to duplicate any part of this incident, so I'm at a complete loss as to just what went wrong, but suffice to say, everything seems okay now.