What does this folder do? (and one more question)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nuks, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Nuks macrumors 6502a

I'm using Grand Perspective to see where all my space is going, and I have a folder (or file) taking up a gig. It's called "private/var/vm/sleepimage.

Anyone have any idea what it does?

Also, one more quick question, if I get a hardware error when burning a VIDEO_TS folder, does it mean there's a problem with the file?
    It works fine to watch it from the harddrive.

Thanks.

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

well the VM folder is the virtual memory folder, so the sleepimage is probably the exchange file for storing RAM contents when put to sleep, but I don't really know, just sounds like it. Anyway you should be messing with things in those hidden folders since many if not all are needed to run OS X.

** seems im right about storing RAM contents during sleep with the new feature in Tiger, safe sleep. http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxhints/2006/10/sleepmode/index.php

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

guessing here, the sleepimage file is for your mac when it goes into hibernate. It saves the contents of RAM onto the hard drive somewhere, most likely at "private/var/vm/sleepimage". do you by any chance have a gig of ram?

2nd.. it could be a corrupt ISO. Plenty of times I can play mp3's on iTunes that won't play if I transfer them to my cellphone. Try a different ISO that you know works, to rule out a hardware issue. Or try re-making the ISO if at all possible..

4. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've got a gig of ram. Thanks for that, both of you.

As for the 2nd question, I know it's not a hardware issue, as I am able to burn other disks fine. Is there anything I can do save downloading the file again? Other people have been able to burn it. How do I remake an ISO?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With what are you trying to burn? You can "remake" the ISO in the sense that you can extract the files from it and then put them in a new disk image. Try making a new DVD disk image from Disk Utility, mount it and the ISO, and then drag the _ts folders from the ISO to the DMG.

Then try burning the DMG.