What does this mean (Re: eBay)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by n-abounds, Feb 14, 2007.

1. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I listed a computer on eBay, and it is a 4 year-old Pentium 4 Dell Inspiron with a 37GB HD, and 512MB RAM.

It sold for "US $1,525.00"...which is WAY overpriced. I didn't pay that much for it when it was new. But the bidding history shows a couple people from different countries that bid it up, and the final buyer is in Texas (so it's not too shady sounding). But what is going on...is there some scam these people do? I know not to accept Money Orders or Cashier's Checks, and I'm only accepting PayPal. What do you guys think happened?

FYI, it's at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130078489273

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that two scammers kept bidding each other up.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The winner's profile says he's in the UK.

Definitely fishy...

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

To me it smells like rotten eggs

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you report this to eBay? It doesn't look kosher.

6. n-abounds thread starter macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Is there anything he can find out about me on Paypal that would be bad? I can unlink my account right now if I want.

Also, is there any way to prevent scammers fro bidding on my item? I sold a iBook just last month and that went fine.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

insist upon payment in the form of an International Money Order, and don't ship the item until you've gotten it. If the bidder's legit, no problem.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What I'd be afraid of is that he pays you, the money is in your bank account, and then he complains to PayPal and says you ripped him off (ie: never delivered the computer, etc), and then Paypal subtracts the money out from your account and gives it back to the buyer.

So again, can you report this to eBay? It's clearly not legit, and the buyer obviously knows some way of scamming you that you don't fully understand yet. People don't like over-paying for useless items. Sorry. :eek:

9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Abstract.. people here do overpay for useless items.. I mean.. a chewing gum 'spit' out by Jessica simpson sold for $500 or something :rolleyes:

If the person is in texas, and he pays with paypal, just make sure he pays with a confirmed address.. and only ship to that address. If he is in the UK, then ask for a money order in US$ only.

Some items might be useless to most folks.. but for various reasons.. others might want it. I keep scouting for synthesizers I used when I was a kid.. they're nothing compared to the ones out now but just for sentimental reasons.. I would want to pay a good price if i found one of them on ebay. Then again, this is a dell.. so it doesn't make sense :D

10. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Happened to me when I tried selling my Macbook. Ended at ~$1600, seller ended up not paying, filed a dispute and got my final value fee refunded. Even if you receive the payment, ship it with a tracking number so in case the buyer files a dispute, you have the tracking number to back you up.