what does this mean...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by puckhead193, Sep 5, 2005.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what does this mean..

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What were you doing before you saw this? Did it disappear when you got out of Dashboard?

3. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

just browsing mac rumors.....
    i have hot corners set up and i moved the mouse to my hot corner that activates dashboard....
    Could it be something with the school firewall, cause the other day i went to log on to the network and i got the log on screen in the sys stat window instead of that normal stuff, but i did a restart and it went away....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'd guess it'd be the school thing - they don't want you knowing their most intimate network details.

Have you ever been able to see use this widget from school?

5. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

Yea from the 5 days i've been here its worked expect for that log in screen....

6. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

puckhead193 i am having the same problems. I am at home, on my own wireless connection and i have never noticed this before tonight.

7. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

maybe its somethign wrong on their part but its get the info from your computer....is it a demo or something... i thought it was free....

8. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

It has to be on their part. My internet is working fine and my bills are all paid up. I remember the widget being freeware when i downloaded it. Just flip the widget over and unclick both of the "Show Network Status" boxes for now. At least that way it does not look so bad...

9. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Weird. I just checked mine and it has the same. Turning off network stats makes that message go away, but the widget is still screwed up because it shows a thick white border around it.

It should be free:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/status/sysstat.html

Ah, I figured it out. Follow the link above and then go to the developer's site. Read the error message...Sound familiar?

I guess they were pulling something off of their website and now that its gone its showing that instead.

Edit: More info--if you notice where the message occurs, it comes right after the "External IP" field...I'm guessing they had a script on their server and the widget used that to figure out your external IP address, in case you're behind a NAT router. They must have let payment lapse on their webhosting account and now the script fetches the webhost's error message instead of your external IP. The HTML embedded in the message screws up the layout of the widget as well.

I'm going to try to find a replacement service and I'll post it here.

10. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Click on the widget, then press Command + R and it should reload the widget. Worked for me.
    Glad to know it is the websites fault.

11. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

damnit! i am having the same problems, what fixes this ? i like this widget a lot

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Yeah same here. Oh well I dont use the system stat widget that much anyways.

13. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I fixed it. Since its not my widget I don't want to distribute a fixed widget, but I will show you all how to fix it. I'm attaching an HTML file with a .TXT extension. First you need to change the extension to HTML. (So the file is now called "sysStat.html"...apparently you can't upload a .html file on MR.)

Next you need to open up the widget in the Finder (probably ~/Library/Widgets) by right-clicking on "Sys Stat.wdgt" and choosing "Show Package Contents". Drag this file, replacing the one that is already in there. Close everything, go back to dashboard, click on the sysstat widget and press cmd-R.

Its grabbing IPs from whatismyip.com using a regex, but it fails gracefully so if whatismyip.com changes their format you won't get a big ugly error but just a tiny little notice that the IP couldnt be determined.

Hope somebody finds this helpful.

Attached Files:

14. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

that's awsome, too bad you can see it in slow motion by hitting shift...
    but your tip also helped, thanks :)