what does varifying disk mean when burning a dvd?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayd, Mar 12, 2007.

1. jayd macrumors member

when i burn a dvd with toast , after its done it says dvd finished. then it says eject or varify. what does varifying the disk do? can i just hit eject and be done with it?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

(That's verifying.) It is reading the disc back to make sure it was written correctly, so that you aren't surprised by errors (if any) later.

3. jayd thread starter macrumors member

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'd just like to add that although errors should be infrequent and therefore making verification rather unnecessary, my particular computer happens to be very picky when it comes to acceptable writeable and rewriteable media, and occasionally does fail verification.

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I always let Toast verify after burning, although happily I have never had a failure. :)

FJ

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I let it verify after burning too... and, unlike you, I've had several verification failures. My iMac is quite picky about what discs it'll burn successfully. I'm not sure if my MacBook Pro is as picky.

7. jayd thread starter macrumors member

if a dvd movie fails verification and you try to re burn it because its a rewritable, will any quality be lost?

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

If you are copying a DVD movie whether on-the-fly or not, no quality degredation should occur. The same should be true for any compilation, since the source is what determines the quality of a digital copy, not the number of burns. This is speaking on short-term quality of course, since discs can degrade over time resulting in errors. That disc is of lower quality than the original since it failed verification, and thus is not 1:1. If you try burning another copy, perhaps at a lower speed, and verification passes, it is therefore 1:1 and of equal quality in relative terms.

9. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

So this warning isn't really true? :confused: :)

Attached Files:

10. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Of course it's true. If you stop burning the disc in the middle then the data already written will be incomplete.

11. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Look closely though, the data has already been written, it's just verifying. ;)

12. reflex macrumors 6502a

That message just means that you won't have completely verified the disc. So if there are any errors present, you won't know about. But the disc has indeed already been written.

13. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Exactly. It's a nice feature, and I guess it would be really useful if say you were burning 50 or more discs and it gave you an error. It would possibly tip you off that the source files were bad...or your media is garbage :p

14. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

If you have a higher burning speed you tend to get more errors during verification.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Ah, I see it. Oops. :eek: