Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mercury6

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Lebanon
Animations are slow.
Lots of wasted space on the iPad.
Too much white and bright pastel colors but I'm getting used to that now.

Overall I do like iOS 7. I just want it to run smoother on the iPad 3.

marktuk

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
You definitely need more than 32. I think it's at least 50, but not sure. Keep adding some to see what the threshold is.

I know it's not ideal, but as of now it's the way it works.

Well it worked fine on iOS6. I'm not just putting music on my phone and using up storage space just so I can get the a-z back.

I'll use the Last.fm Scrobbler app. It's a superior app now.

mikosk

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
My first post, of course it's about something wrong...

iOS7 is polarizing, that is for sure. I feel that the overall look was put above all else, with actual usability being placed second. I've only updated my iPad so far, so this is from that point of view.

One big issue is the overall whiteness of it all. There is very little contrast at times that makes the buttons hard to see and easy to navigate. The keyboard actually got worse with this color scheme. It's just too flat, too bright, too beta-feeling.

And it's the little changes that seem out of place for no reason. Changing Delete to Trash, why? The app switcher is got worse, closing apps now is a longer process. The 3x3 in the folders, there was no reason to do this at all and now makes it harder to use the folders.

Overall I don't really like it. I don't think it improved things at all and is rather just Apple rearranging the table instead of moving forward. If you are going to make such a shift, at least allow users to make some additional tweaks.

One last thing, what is so bad about skeuomorphism? Elements of this actually made iOS6 really pleasing. I mean legal notepads are yellow for a reason, not just because.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I'm still in the process of digesting it, but here are a few:

- not a fan of 3x3 grid of the folders
- childish iMessage colors and look
- native notes app is very bland looking without lines
- reminders app is very bland

** can no longer access my music from double clicking home and swiping to the right**

BTW, besides having the music/ipod app on the front screen of the iPhone, what is the fastest way to access music files? I know you can play a song from the utility center, but how do you access a playlist from there?

opmisk

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
iOS7 is polarizing, that is for sure. I feel that the overall look was put above all else, with actual usability being placed second. I've only updated my iPad so far, so this is from that point of view.

One big issue is the overall whiteness of it all. There is very little contrast at times that makes the buttons hard to see and easy to navigate. The keyboard actually got worse with this color scheme. It's just too flat, too bright, too beta-feeling.

And it's the little changes that seem out of place for no reason. Changing Delete to Trash, why? The app switcher is got worse, closing apps now is a longer process. The 3x3 in the folders, there was no reason to do this at all and now makes it harder to use the folders.

Overall I don't really like it. I don't think it improved things at all and is rather just Apple rearranging the table instead of moving forward. If you are going to make such a shift, at least allow users to make some additional tweaks.

One last thing, what is so bad about skeuomorphism? Elements of this actually made iOS6 really pleasing. I mean legal notepads are yellow for a reason, not just because.

Closing apps in ios 7: double click home button and swipe = 2 steps
Closing apps in ios 6: double click home button, long press on the row of icons and then tap the tiny red X in the corner = 3 steps.

How is it a longer process in ios 7 ?

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
I don't like the centered text in search fields, nor do I care for how Safari's address bar works (shows only the domain, centered, unless you tap on it).

Lintott

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
The looks of the new apps sucks. Especially notes and the Financial prices app.

The new quick access to bluetooth etc is great, but I wish the flashlight turned itself off when pressing the power button. Instead you have to unlock the phone and go back to the switch and toggle it. Usually you would only need the flashlight to check something quick and want the ability to turn it off easily.

Apple should have field tested these changes a lot more. Classic mistake in the software world. Just too bad the specific responsible managers in Apple suck at their job.

rev98

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
Too much white, with little or no texture.
Wish the bottom row of apps was translucent instead of solid color.
Faster animations or just the ability to turn them off.
Accessing control center is challenging with cases like Lifeproof Nuud and Otterbox.

eda

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Birmingham, England
I'm on an iPhone 5 and in iOS6 I felt that it could handle everything, pressing the home button was quick, locking was quick, waking up was quick.

Now it feels like its been dented by iOS7 and can't perform as well; I'd rather have a really snappy and speedy system than 'cool' new animations.

They'll figure it out though, with 7.1, 7.2 or even iOS8, I think everything will be brushed up.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
How white everything is, it's hard on the eyes when it's dark. I wish there was a dark / black theme. That'd be tight.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Open the alarm app up, and make sure you have about 10 alarms listed.

Look at that screen, really, look at it.

Let the white drill into your eyes, and than your sold.

Notice how the screen begins to tint red? Your eyes are bleeding.

Savor the experience.

This moment.

That is what I don't like about iOS 7.

----------

How white everything is, it's hard on the eyes when it's dark. I wish there was a dark / black theme. That'd be tight.

Go with Windows Phone. They're a dark/light theme and about 25 accent colors to choose from.

iPaul93

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
1.Music App
-I dislike the big artwork for each album
-I hate the big artwork for artist(instead of list of names) and that you have to scroll through all of the songs just to find the album you want.
2.The battery drains too fast

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Animations seem a lil slow but don't know if that's intended or not. (could just be me needing to adjust to the new look too) Overall tho i'm pleased with it, but still prefer the old design. Control Panel is prolly the only real new feature i'll use, and I was fine with goin' into general settings anyways. Pleased but unneeded change for me personally.

Gus Van Der Mee

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2013
At this state it's at least 3 betas away from being called a GM. Apple did what Apple does very good they are testing on general population now.

MalusSylvestris

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2013
Generally I love the look of it - so much cleaner and easier to read than iOS 6.

But there are some annoyances which have mostly been mentioned already.

1) Why fade in the lock screen slowly now? If you just want a quick glance at the time or notifications it now takes much longer. I do this several times a day so those seconds add up!

2) The Music app has some major flaws. It looks nice, but showing all tracks rather than grouping by album under Artist View is silly. Also why show text for repeat and shuffle rather than the symbols we know and understand? They weren't skeuomorphic!

3) It doesn't seem to be playing nicely with iTunes Match. Downloading over 3G doesn't seem to work even though the option is on. Also lots of artwork has gone AWOL.

4) I don't like the way the multitasking switcher takes up the whole screen. If the app you want isn't in the switcher then in iOS 6 you could still tap on one on the home screen. Now you have to exit right out of the switcher.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Don't like that you can't turn the grid on/off in the Camera app anymore - it's hidden in Settings somewhere. Don't see the logic behind that.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Lose the Animations
Need darker background for notes
The neon text I can't read well.

And there's just too much white everywhere.

You can lower the brightness but this also lowers contrast at the same time.

This is subjective, but I'm not alone.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
Lack of contrast is by far my biggest complaint. With Safari in particular, it is often difficult to see where the tabs end and the actual web pages begin. The thin icons are tough on my eyes as well.

I did turn on the bold fonts in the Accessibility section, and that has helped quite a bit.

But overall, just too much white and light grey causes me to have to strain to pick out elements that should be simple to identify.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
What they need is an old people theme

You would think it would be Boomer friendly, considering Cook is a geezer :D

in4fun

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
blocking anonymous callers has been disabled in the final release :mad:

what could be apples motivation to disable such a useful feature?

the only way to achieve this now is to call your provider and ask them to enable ACR (anonymous caller rejection)

some providers ask for a fee to set this up. could this be the reason apple backed down on this feature?

Jeminai

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
white white white... if I wanted white goods I'd have bought a white phone!
ok so less gruff...
I like the transparencies on home screen and lock pages. animations are so so. the fade is a little slow. didn't find it particularly difficult to navigate.

BUT!
I have recently been investigating the personalization of themes and icons on iPhones (to which there are very few options), I was in fact in the process of using what tweaks I could find...
now of course nothing fits scale-wise and some apps are yet to be updated. but having paid so much attention to the look of my phone recently, it was a real let down to see the visual ios7 "updates".
gaudy is a word I would use here.

the icons have lost all depth and character.
the white is simply overdone. it's as fresh a feeling as a neon tube sucking the life out of my eyes.

I could forgive it all if we were given a choice of themes that we could change.. but no, we are all 1 person to apple perhaps.
iPhones would be great with more customizable options!!! why has this not been implemented?

having seen how other phones are managed and the features they offer I don't think I'll be choosing an iPhone for my next phone, apple is definitely on the wrong track this time.

also... I changed my Apple ID some time
ago. (the email and password) I'm yet to find a way to change my apple account email address on the phone. basically I can't give it the right password because the email is incorrect and thus far cannot be altered in iCloud for one.

ps.
I think at some point "user friendly" can become patronizing.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
This thread is a treasure trove of market research for Apple, if they will heed it.

One suggestion ... not specific to ios 7, but there are so many settings now, why not make them searchable in spotlight search?

Last edited:

jspax

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Various things better in iOS6

Here are a few of my first observations from a few hours of playing with the update on my iPhone 5...

• Lots of the new versions of the apps are too high contracts -- I liked the yellow background and lines on notes -- now it's white and no lines. Doesn't look nearly as good and is hard on the eyes with the higher contracts -- make the background color selectable and give the option of lines or a grid too.
  • Contact photos are circles? Come on? That looks like it’s right out of google+. Not all my images are centered around the face and now it’s cropping parts of photos. Logos just don’t show right either when it’s a business number. There’s really no functional reason to use the circles. Very, very annoying.
  • Notifications that you can swipe to get to the app take up more space than before and the first one reminds you that you can swipe it – very inconsistent with the scheme to make things less verbose – once you know you can swipe it, you don’t need the messages, it just reduces the space for other listings even more.
  • For people in Thailand, it may not be a big deal, but the system Thai font is not the standard Thai script, but a more modern version that I’ve seen on signs and advertisements, but never on any other device or computer font. Maps is using it as wells as many other iOS7 areas. The keyboard on the other hand is using the standard Thai script, so there is an inconsistency here. Use one or the other font everywhere, but make sure it’s a real standard and not something someone thinks looks more cool.
  • The 3x3 grid in folders is lame – match what was in iOS6 and add the larger capacity, the reduced size is frustrating coming from the previous iOS
  • A lot of my videos have the first frame as black – all I see when I open the videos app is a bunch of black squares with no text. I have no idea what is what.
  • The background color for folders is also very aesthetically unpleasing. The color seems to be based on the background, but they just look blah.
  • It seems that instead of buttons, sometimes you now just press on the text to have something happen, but it’s not always clear that the text is for display or interaction. If I hadn’t had iOS6 before, I’d be puzzled how to do some things because it’s not intuitive as to what’s active and not.

Functionally there are nice improvements, but the UI really has taken a step backwards (Graphically, it reminds me of something back from the Atari ST or Amiga with limited color pallets). The flat look and reduced color icons are already looking very dated and I don't see the current UI lasting for as long as the previous one did...

-- JS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.