Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I'm looking to buy a couple of hard drives to put in my new MacPro. I'm thinking I'll use two of the drive slots to setup Raid0. I'll primarily use the space to capture video and hold render files while working on projects, so I'm not too worried about drive failure or data loss. Once I'm done with the project, I'll probably off-load the final render to DVD or tape and then wipe the drives to make room for the next project(s). In the other two drive slots, I'll have a fast drive to run software and another larger drive to store frequently used files.

I've been looking at reviews and the like, but can't seem to find the perfect solution. I'm looking for fast, quiet and fairly cool drive. The drive model that jumps out at me is the Seagate with the newer Perpendicular Recording Technology. However, I haven't heard of anyone using this particular drive in a Raid setup. Have you? If there is anyone who has experience with this particular drive, especially in a Raid setup, please respond. If you have any other suggestions that will fit my requirements, please post away. Thanks!

Here's the drive info. I pulled off newegg.com:

Link

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Average Latency: 4.16ms
Cache: 16MB
Features: Native Command Queuing One-stop shopping with a broad range of capacity, cache and interface options Best-in-class environmental specification and reliability features New perpendicular recording technology enables higher areal density, fewer moving parts and increased dependability. Adaptive Fly Height offers consistent read/write performance from the beginning to the end of your computing workload. Clean Sweep automatically
Form Factor: 3.5"
Manufacturer Warranty: 5-Year
Model #: ST3320620AS
Item #: N82E16822148140

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Although just about any quality HD will do for your needs, that Seagate should do really well, with the low latency and large cache. And it has the 5yr warranty, so if it should fail, notta problemo. Seagate has an excellent reputation for standing behind their products with few, if any, questions and quick replacement service.

The reason you havent seen many reports on it is because it is fairly new model, but check the tomshardware and/or barefeats sites. They tend to be among the first ones to test new products, either shortly before or soon after they are available....... if they havent tested it yet, email them & ask them to do so asap :p

danielbriggs

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2006
Manchester, UK
Have you had a look at the Western Digital Caviar SE - Raid Edition

They are REALLY quiet and speedy drives. 7200RPM, 16MB cache, SATA2 etc.
With being specificaly designed for RAID environments, they have a higher MTBF and a greater warranty, and slightly faster. All for about 5% more expensive than standard drives!

Dan :)

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
danielbriggs said:
Have you had a look at the Western Digital Caviar SE - Raid Edition

They are REALLY quiet and speedy drives. 7200RPM, 16MB cache, SATA2 etc.
With being specificaly designed for RAID environments, they have a higher MTBF and a greater warranty, and slightly faster. All for about 5% more expensive than standard drives!

Dan :)

No I haven't. I'll go do a google now to see what the specs and prices are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.