What Dslr do you think is best?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Merf, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Merf macrumors regular

I'm thinking about getting a DSLR. The Konica-Minolta Maxxum D7 is really nice. What One do you think is best? And do you have one?

Thanks,
    Merf

2. vtprinz macrumors 6502

To keep in the price range of the 7D, I'd say either the Canon 20D or Nikon D70. Personally my favorite is the Nikon. Just didn't like the feel of the 20D, but damn was it fast! As for the 7D, it looks amazing, but I've never actually seen one in person so I can't say too much. I've heard mixed reviews of the AS ability of the 7D. All I know is that it looks like one beautiful camera.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Canon and Nikon have the best reputations. Go to a store and handle them both because your final choice should be what you find easy, comfortable and intuitive to use.

Here are a few reveiw sites so that you should know what to expect and what to look for.

http://www.steves-digicams.com

http://www.camerareview.com

http://www.photographyreview.com

http://www.dpreview.com/

4. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I only buy Canon. But you may like the feel of Nikon over Canon, I just felt Canon was a little more superior, especially if your going to use it outdoors, they seem to be a bit more rugged in build. The 20D is phenominal, but if you want to save some cash and still want a nice camera that throws out great quality pictures try the EOS DIGITAL REBEL 6.3MP.

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

the best D-SLR? Well, if price was no object, I'd say the Canon EOS 1Ds MkII, or maybe one of Kodak's top end models. Heck, you could put a 100MP back onto a medium-format SLR too!

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Without getting into the insanely expensive stuff, I say the Canon 20D

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The D7, 20D and the D70 are all great cameras. If you have any existing SLR lenses from a Nikon, Minolta or Canon I would say to get the DSLR that matches the lenses. The D7 has built in image stabilization technology, but the 20D has a slightly greater resolution. Reading reviews I believe with the extra resolution and the faster start time of the 20D it edges above the D70 and the D7, but only just.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

While the minolta is a new piece from them, Minolta also has a good reputation out there (as well as Pentax and Olympus). Olympus has some really great fast lenses for their DSLR line up.

The rest of your advice is spot on, about trying out the cameras.

I would add, don't get to wrapped up in the depth of the lens line unless you are a pro or really are planning on being a pro. The advantage of Nikon and Canon is that in urban areas you will have a better chance at renting a broad range of lenses for special needs.

Again with the PMA show just less than a month away I would wait to see what is announced by the manufacturers.

9. robshakir macrumors newbie

The Pentax ist D is pretty nice, as is the ist DS. I'll probably be getting the ist DS in the next few weeks, the camera is really light and small - which is better than the chunkyness of the 300D and 10D (for me anyway).

Also, the ist DS, offers a lot of features for a nice price.

Rob

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Also it is the only DLSR that seems to be compatible in full with most of the lenses ever made for the Pentax K mount.

11. danrufus macrumors newbie

I have the D70, my sister the 20D both great cameras. I agree with the previous poster, if you have canon or nikon lenses, seriously consider staying with that manufacturer. dpreview.com is great for all knowledge about cameras.

but, GO TO A STORE AND PLAY WITH THE CAMERAS.

Feel and ergonomics are very important, IMHO.

Daniel

12. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

Depending on your price range i like the D70 best.. its got some awesome lenses available, from $99-$2000 :)

i recommend spending a couple of days on the D70 forum - theres loads of example pics and the people are friendly.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

Most importantly, go into your local photo store and try the cameras..

13. vtprinz macrumors 6502

First thing, I don't think Steves Digicams is all that reputable, they seem more likely to boast about a cameras pros and show pretty pictures, but never get all that objective about how good it really is.

Secondly, no one ever seems to use www.luminous-landscape.com, but it's one of my favorites. I think it's invaluable to have a resource that will tell you not how the camera will perform in controlled testing, but how that camera will perform in the real world, out in the field. Michael Reichmann is much more likely to complain that the buttons are hard to use with gloves on than he is about a slight amount of extra noise compared to the competition. Not to mention, LL is almost entirely DSLR based.

Now, of course you want to check out all of these cameras yourself, but how much you can figure out in a store is limited. Something that seems suitable in a store might drive you crazy when you're actually out taking pictures with it. For that reason I really suggest checking out LL.

I'm starting to feel repetitive, this is probably the 5th time I've given this rant :rolleyes:

14. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Actually, I do use luminous-landscape and find their reviews extremely helpful. I just forgot to include them in the links that I posted.

As for Steve's, I don't think that anyone should make such an important purchase decision based on only one review - so yes, I do find that Steve's has useful info for potential buyers in their product reviews.

Besides, after one reads a few different review sites, one will soon see whose opinion gels with their own.

Lastly, sometimes a product that one is interested in is not reviewed by one's favorite review site, so one has no choice but to go with those that have reviewed it.

15. vtprinz macrumors 6502

True, and also, I may have been speaking out my ass a little on Steves Digicams. I went to it once or twice a year ago and wasn't that impressed, but I've read (on DPRs forums) many times that "Steve's" isn't a very objective website.

16. robshakir macrumors newbie

I always found dpreview.com to be the best online photography review site.

Rob

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you have to have a $999 digital SLR, the Olympus E-300 and Nikon D70 are good cameras. The Olympus has a full-frame transfer CCD for glorious colour and no digital/35mm compromise while the Nikon has a strong feature set and is a capable camera like the D100.

Unless you really like your compromises big, stay away from the Canon 300D, which is a glorified point-and-shoot with interchangeable lenses.

The various online sites are good but were never truly helpful to me. What Digital Camera magazine tells it like it is.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A little harsh IMO. The 300D is based on the tried and proven 10D, with some of the higher end features (that of course the D70 has) missing. With the price drop and the rebates that expire tomorrow, it is a strong camera that meets the needs of many a demanding photographer.

In some ways we are spoiled by advancement in technology. When I started in photography, one could only wish for 2.5 to 3 frames per a second frame advance. That todays AF is faster by far from what pros were shooting when the first pro AF SLRs came out.

What I see whether we are talking about cameras or computers, is projecting our needs/wants/desires in the opinions that we give. I know that I was guilty of that before I started to sell at various points cameras or computers.

19. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Honestly Chip, I really don't see AF as an advancement at all. I see it more as a necessary convenience/evil.

For instance, my Nikon N70 and CoolPix 4500 both have pretty much state-of-the-art AF which works reasonably well for most point-and-shoot situations. But when I start getting a little creative, the whole shebang becomes almost less than useless because the AF never focuses on the exact point that I'd like to be 100% in focus.

Unfortunately my eyesight ain't what it used be, and even although my glasses are only -1 and I only need them for driving, they just aren't good enough to focus quickly and accurately in most situations. Broad daylight with sharp clear subjects excluded.

The bottom line. If my eyesight was good as it used to be 15 years ago, I absolutely wouldn't use AF. Now that my eyesight is what it is, I just can't afford to give up the convenience and speed of AF, even although in some circumstances it still leaves me high and dry.

20. iGary Guest

iGary

I've owned both the Canon 300D and the 20D.

I sold the 300D after a year of frustration with white balanace, exposure and metering issues, cheap build, slow write speeds and overall poor image quality.

There is no comparison whatsoever to the 20D. I actually enjoy taking pictures again. It's fast, the metering is spot on, the images are crisp and clean, it wakes from sleep instantly.....the list goes on.

The D70 is a nice camera, but no ISO 100, a smaller sensor, 6-point AF (versus 9 in the 20D) for only 300 less than the 20D...not a hard decision to make, but stay away form the 300D. It's a lousy camera.

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, I was being very positive about the 300D. I have trouble considering anything about it good. I definitely don't have a love for Canon cameras but I recommended and sold a lot of them, as well as Nikon, Minolta, Fuji, Pentax, and Olympus.

For my own use, the money goes to Olympus with Nikon a close second.

22. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry about that, took it the wrong way about the 300D.

I too sell them, and I am hard pressed for favorites to recommend. Each has their on benefits. Having lenses in a particular mount goes a long way to make the choice easier. The 300D has a great price till tomorrow night, the 20D the smoothest high ISO noise reduction, the D70 has the best frame rate, the 7D has built-in stabilization, the *ist D series compatibility with lenses going way back, and the E-1 and E-300 having great lenses for speed at "affordable" prices.

I have the 10D myself. But would be very tempted by the E-300 if I had to do it all over again. But I shoot Leica film cameras and love the smaller size.

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i've got a D70 and love it -- picking up a 14mm wide-angle lens for it tomorrow

easy to use -- common settings are easily adjusted right on the camera body, no flipping through menu's like the Pentax *ist or the Digital Rebel

the 20D is great --- plus 8.2 rather then 6.x like the rebel or D70

one consideration is to find a used 10D from canon -- the camera was quite robust

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If nothing else, you have to agree that Canon cameras don't work like anything else. If you use any other camera brand, you can usually switch to another brand easily but that's not the case with Canon. ;)

I love my Olympus E-1 as much as I loved my OM-1N. It's relatively light and has great colour and the camera also works well for action shots. I especially like the fact that there is no legacy to compromise things. It wasn't inexpensive then but it is relatively inexpensive now. I just can't afford the biggest lenses. :D The E-300 body looks as if it will be a great, lightweight lens accessory, especially at 8 MP and FFT.

25. iBook macrumors regular

Personally, I like the Nikon D70. I've had mine several months now and I love it as much today as when it arrived.

To get a look at a lot of different digital cameras, I recommend this site:

www.trekearth.com/gallery