Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterSoonerNow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Which DVDR format does the SuperDrive support?

-/+ ?

I don't HAVE to use the Apple (overpriced) brand, do I?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
DVD minus officially. So far, I have used Apple, TDK, Memorex, Great Quslity, other generics, Maxel all just fine.

There are some hacks for SOME ersions of the superdriv to allow + burning with Toast. But I hav enever found the need for it.
FasterSoonerNow said:
Which DVDR format does the SuperDrive support?

-/+ ?

I don't HAVE to use the Apple (overpriced) brand, do I?

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Pretty much any brand will do. Now how long they'll last before going bad depends on the quality of the media. Personally, I've had no problem w/ Memorex and FujiFilm DVD+R, which are made by Ricoh.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Apple branded Media = Other brands w/ Apple logo and nice slim jewel cases. Last time I checked (4x DVD-R), Apple was using Memorex, which are made by Ricoh.

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
The real question is you need to figure out who really makes the blanks. Most blank DVDs are just rebadge with that compainies name and logo. So apple are over priced. If you want the same DVDs just figure out where apple gets them from and then find another cheaper manfactor that gets them from the same place

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.