What editor do you use?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by cookie1105, Mar 28, 2006.

1. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I am sure this question has been asked before, but I searched the forum and couldn't find anything specific.

There seem to be a wealth of text editors out there. Some more expensive than others, and some better than others. I have recently been playing with a couple of them, trying to find my favourite! I think I have decided on SKedit, but I would like to know what you are all using, as I am fairly new to this game.

So let's hear your € 0.02

2. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

3. scott182 macrumors member

I also primarily use TextWrangler. There used to be a free version of SubEthaEdit, that is still usable, that I prefer to TextWrangler simply for the fact that it has a more Mac-like look, but I needed the FTP/SFTP support in TextWrangler. On initial glance of the way remote files are handled in skEdit, it seems to be done a bit better in TextWrangler. Unfortunately, TextWrangler doesn't have project capability as far as I can tell.

BBEdit seems to be the most preferred editor, full of features but quite expensive ($199.00) -- definitely more than I need.

Smultron is pretty decent, and open source/free, but lacks FTP.

TextMate shows a lot of promise, but IMO is currently overpriced for what it offers (~$50 US), lacking FTP support right now. A very nice feature is code folding, which I haven't seen in any other editor (maybe BBEdit??).

You may want to look at the Comparison of text editors on Wikipedia.

This is what I'm looking for in a text editor: code folding, FTP/SFTP, and projects (and ideally free!). Anyone know of anything? Until I find all these, I'll probably continue to use TextWrangler.

4. cookie1105 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow the stuff you find on wikipedia!
    If you take the ftp support out of the equation. For example, I already use Fetch and I don't mind paying shareware prices for software.

SKedit offers code hinting, auto completion & projects. I am still learning, so I find those a great help. They make me quicker.:cool:

I suppose it's a personal choice. I am just interested to hear what other people use.

5. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I love Smultron! I used to use jEdit, but it was ridiculously slow due to its being written in Java. I prefer the look and feel of Smultron anyway.

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Another vote for Smultron. Developer is very friendly and responsive, too.

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

For the last year I was using SubEthaEdit, but I've always just used it as a text editor when the whole point is network editing...

Anyway, I didn't really like how they started charging for it. Either charge from the start or don't...

I've been looking at new editors for a few weeks anyway, and I just decided on TextMate about 30 minutes ago...
    I was working on a PHP script real quick and when I finished I was amazed at how quickly I'd churned it out and how clean it was.

reality

edit: and there's never been a question about CSSEdit for... editing... css...
    http://www.macrabbit.com/cssedit/

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

9. Aarow macrumors 6502a

I use TextWrangler and Taco HTML Edit because they're...free.

10. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

11. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Another vote for Smultron. Simple and does exactly what I want, all the while having a perfect OS X GUI.

VIM is good too for small things just so I don't have to leave the terminal.

12. turbopants macrumors regular

Dreamweaver and TextWrangler work well for me.

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I use TextMate. A little steep, but I deducted it so its all good. ;)

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo