What else can you do with the X-Box or PS2?

Discussion in 'Community' started by peter2002, Oct 27, 2002.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Sorry for asking, but Christmas is around the corner and I am thinking about getting an X-Box or PlayStation 2. I haven't played video games in years but my interest is renewed since the quality seems real good and the prices are cheap for the X-Box and PS2.

I am not sure which one to buy. I've read the PS2 is more popular and has a lot more games, but the X-Box has better graphics.

I have read some folks are using mod chips so they can even run Linux on the X-Box. It would be nice if Microsoft had a version of Microsoft Works that would run on X-Box.

Can you do anything else besides play games, like surf the internet, word processing, photo editing, listening to music, play movies, or run Linux? I am clueless on these game boxes.

2. peter2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Interesting article, but it is over 2 years old.

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Know that microsoft's newest xboxes have been modified so that mod chips don't work anymore. This means that you won't be able to install linux and/or play "backed up" games. :)
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    You should be able to store songs on your xBox, up to around 8GB worth. But it's such a pain in the horse's rear end for the xBox game console to recognize a custom burned CD. The last time it worked for me was when I burned a CD-RW disk in .aiff format from iTunes. :rolleyes: This is a very useful feature in case you have a game such as Project Gotham (right on the nose, peter, *graphics*), and you want to upload something more exciting than the songs that come with the game.

I'm not much on the PS2 system, though.
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    console gaming systems, by design, are not computers. thats really the end of it...there are things that come close, such as the Xbox, but then m$ hinders it by using hardware to make using it as such near impossible.

the entire concept of the game console is to have one machine to play games on a tv. its now a web browsing machine, its not a word processor, and its definitely not a photo editor.

the game consoles that are breaking from this mold will most likely eventually die. the xbox has a good online gaming implementation, a few good games, and m$ pumping money behind it trying to get its trojan horse in the living room. that will assure it a long drawn out death instead of a quick one. i like the ps2, i think its a good machine, but is still too complicated.

for me, the gamecube is the best machine. its cheaper than the others, has pretty much the same games as the xbox and ps2 made by major third parties, and is built entirely as a gaming machine. first and second party console games are really the best of the batch, and thats also somewhere nintendo has excelled for about 20 years now.

btw...Mario Sunshine is probably one of the most addictive games I have ever played.
  6. Bradcoe macrumors regular

Apr 25, 2002
    Northeast U.S.
    PS2 by far

PS2 has more games out for it than you could ever play. They get better as time goes on as well. This is regarding to the image quality (new games have advanced software techniques to squeeze everything out of the hardware). Xbox has some of the most powerful hardware (a 700MHz PIII and a GeForce3) but the only thing you'll play is HALO (it's a damned good game with 4-8 people on two xboxs). Okay you may play other things, but theres not much you can do on an xbox that you can't do on a PS2. PS2 has Sony behind it. It runs PS1 games and plays DVD's out of the box. And for about $40 you can buy a piece of hardware for it that plugs into the back and lets you connect to the internet via broadband and play games for NO monthly access charge. M$ is going to charge/does charge about $10 a month or something for gaming. PS2 has GrandTheftAuto and GranTurismo (if you like cars or racing, its the #1 video game for it). GameCube is a great system. Nintendo is a great company, been around for over 100 years. But it's sad to say that their machine doesn't have nearly as many titles as PS2 has. Some of the big name ones aren't even out for it (GTA and GranTurismo just to name a few). Although it does have the new Resident Evil remakes coming out and I played the first one last year. Great game. But when it comes to a game system, you want choices. PS2 gives you the greatest amount of choices for which games to play.
  7. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    soon, sony should start shipping their linux kit of the ps2 here in america. so, in fact, you will be able to run it as a computer. it has many more games, and while they may not look as nice, they are more fun, at leats in my opinion.
  8. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002