What Entry Level Luxury Cars should I get, help me pick!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by carbonmotion, Feb 15, 2007.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

My parents are going to buy me one present; their first one and their last one. Their gonna buy me a car in 10-2008. Which car should I get. I'm currently thinking about a BMW 3 series or a Lexus IS 250

I suppose low on my list are Audi, Volvo, Saab, Mercedes of the same class.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

of the two, i'd get a lexus is 250 with manual transmission. i just prefer the interior of the lexus to that of the bmw.

3. MP4-22 macrumors member

4. Turkish macrumors 6502

A down payment on a house or condo would be much more sensible.

5. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

can't afford an S4... obviously
    A4s have ****** quality

---

im one of the few people that can drive a stick, but don't want to.

nope, im probably going to go do a jd mba at columbia or some such school.... so i dont want to settle down just yet.

6. Turkish macrumors 6502

So get a cheap car and put the difference into savings - or buy a house and rent it.

Seems like a horrible waste of money to me.

7. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

You can't by a house for 30,000 dollars and I've never had a great car in my entire life. In fact in the last four years, I didn't have a car. while my friends had their BMWs and Mercedes and Audis

[​IMG]

I love lexus, but when I saw this car, it was so beatiful, I couldn't stop looking at it.

8. ModestPenguin macrumors 6502

ModestPenguin

WISE!

Get yourself a car of half the cost, ask for the rest in a savings account. You still get a car and you get money.

the entry level bimmer 3 series is 32,400

a Honda Civic Si is 23,635

that's almost 10 thou cash in a savings account.

That'll be nice.

and the civic will last you an eternity.

9. Fini macrumors newbie

Fini

I suppose it would depend on what you wanted out of the car, but my two picks would be the Mini Cooper S or the ubiquitous 3-Series BMW.

10. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

I work in the luxury car business...and am thus a professional uniquely qualified to offer direction on this question.

The best vehicle in the segment you're looking at is the BMW 3 series -- far superior to the IS250 in so many ways. It is also a much safer investment for re-sale value down the road. Lexus has had very few vehicles with any sort of significant staying power -- the IS250 is already showing signs of weakness in the marketplace. The 3 series is unequalled in this area...they always hold their value.

One thing you might want to consider...especially if you'll be paying for it is insurance costs -- insurance companies are wary of young men driving BMW's ... clearly up to no good!

Good luck.

darren

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you're not going for the Audi because of quality or/and reliability issues, then why go for the Bimmer? You may as well consider an Audi A4.

I'd consider a Lexus since you're not going to be driving a manual. It'll be just as good as an BMW with automatic transmission, and I actually think it'll be better quality overall. It's a pretty sweet looking car as well. Out of the 2, I'd just get the one that test drives better. I'd probably take the one that corners better, but I'm guessing that a BMW 2 door coupe will corner better than the 4 door sedan. :eek:

12. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

I would get the BMW, or an Audi A4. Also, by 2008 the brand new Mercedes C class should be out.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

MiniCooper S will dust of all those guys,saves a ton in fuel costs and you can pocket 10 grand plus its just cool.:eek:

14. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Yes you can.......but it really depends on where you want to live, and what kind of shape the house is in.

15. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Instead of using all that money just the car Why dont you make that money work for you as in How Can I make this cash make me more money?

Theres CDs, Special Savings accounts with high interest. I bet you are going to get loans during college? I say invest on something that during your time in college will give you good interest. You said you want MBA think about just 10k(if you get a 20k car with 10k left over) would yield so much interest. I got 2k interest in my stock when i started college I got extra scholarship, didn't need it so I invested it and thats 4 years.

I mean getting MBA is $$$$, even buyin a house doesnt matter you living there just rent it out. The house will pay itself from that, and when you graduate it can be almost all payed out depending where you live.

ok enough of me acting old.

I like the BMW

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Just a thought from experience at one urban school and a friend at Columbia - see if your folks would be willing to wait until after you graduate. Having a car in an urban center, especially NYC, doesn't make much sense when you factor in parking and such.

I had a mediocre public transit system, but in NYC it's great. My buddy is married and has a kid - probably would have needed a car more than most, but one of the first things he did was sell his off. He'll be buying a new one this summer.

17. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

buy a sports car, luxury cars are for old farts.

Subaru WRX :)

I just got one, puts a smile on my dial, every time hehe

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not that I want to steer anyone away from a Scooby (I've absolutely loved my 2.5i these last two days, even if I did spin yesterday morning ;)), but the 3 Series is a near-perfect blend of luxury and performance. Go for the 335i. :D Damn, every time I think of a twin-turbo I-6 that's probably under-rated at 300/300, I start getting tight in the pants.

19. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well I would stay away from the European cars. The price might not be too bad but the maintenance and general upkeep costs will kill you.

I would look at the Lexus IS, Acura TL, and Infiniti G35.

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

First, consider yourself lucky!

Second, of the two choices: Toyota. They've been number #1 for the past ten years.

Luxury cars are indeed nice but I'd go with something sporty. I barely afforded a Scion tC and I love it. It's only ~$16,500. Again, its a Toyota and built with recycled material so that in 10 years, it can be recycled again...

21. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Why not get a real, car? Get a rear wheel drive, V8 powered, American luxury vehicle. It would put those imports to shame. It's a totally different class altogether.
    [​IMG]

22. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If you want flash, get a 3-series (they are fugly though), or a similarly sized Mercedes/Audi/Jag X-Type.

If you want to go fast, get a Subaru WRX STi, Mitsu Lancer Evo, Golf R32 Mazda RX-8 or maybe an Infiniti G35 if you can swing that.

23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My friends uncle has one of those. His mom refers to it as a "OMPPC" (old man's pretend police car) ;)

American car luxury? Does that exist?

24. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Not nearly as prevalent these days. See old and new, respectively:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]