Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Didn't someone somewhere speculate that his chip might be the bridge between current g4's & future g5 powerbooks? Anybody know if its more likely than Moto's revised G4? I seem to recall in December the 750vx was clocked to 1.5 ghz.

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
round the corner
The chip I believe was suppose to go into the iBooks and possibly into the other G4 systems so that Apple could then get rid of Motorola, but it never happened

Don't really know why :confused:

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
I'm cosfused too. . . makes me think all the powerbooks could be around 1.5 right now . . . maybe Apple doesn't want all thier egss in one basket, but it seems like Motorola's basket only has one handle . . . :(

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
It was a pure rumor. IBM has never stated publicly that they were working on such a chip, and there is no evidence to believe that they are working on it now or ever. When it comes right down to it, it would be much better for IBM to be working on the PPC 970 and future POWER derivative chips than to work on retrofitting a Altivec core into a PPC 750, as the 970 design is a huge win for most Altivec code (because the chip is no longer bandwidth starved like the 74xx is and the 750 would be with an Altivec unit).

Lets just let this rumor die please.

dieselg4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Rockin' Pittsburgh!
Ouch. I was just posing the question. It jsut seemed I saw it so many places (stargeek, apple insider, other posts here. . .), but I guess it all referenced one source.

Rincewind42

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2003
Orlando, FL
dieselg4 said:
Ouch. I was just posing the question. It jsut seemed I saw it so many places (stargeek, apple insider, other posts here. . .), but I guess it all referenced one source.

Just trying to tell it like it is, no offense meant. Just there are too many people that have these high hopes for the mythical 750VX to pop out of the sky and save the day, when the fact is that there would be little to differentiate it from the original 7400 (and most of the difference being inferior technology). Because unless IBM manufactured them on 90nm (which hasn't even been announced for the current 750) they wouldn't be much different from the 7447/7457. I would expect that by the time the 750 line hits 90nm, that Apple is looking at G6 chips and have migrated the G5 to the consumer lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.