What ever happened to the set-top box?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wordmunger, Jan 7, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I know nearly everyone was disappointed at the price of the mini iPod, but what I had really been hoping for is a set-top box--one that would replace a DVD player, a VCR, and a CD player all in one fell swoop. Any speculation out there about whether this is still in the works?

2. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

While there are DVR's on the market, it is a risky business to be in. ReplayTV allows you to stream to another box and allows eight to be on one network at a time. There is third-party software that allows you to use your own computer to simulate a ReplayTV box and some are working on a method to take the archive ReplayTV makes and convert it to MPEG-2 so it could be written to a DVD. The MPAA would not like this and a manufacturer to put it in from the factory would surely make them take a serious look at it and maybe even act.

Then in regards to recording, you need a program guide to make it easy. Apple would need to either license a program guide or do their own. Making their own is not a cheap and easy thing to do. If they licensed a program guide, then they might as well as just team up with one of the DVR players, TiVo or ReplayTV. Out of the two, ReplayTV allows you to connect their box to a network as well as set aside HD space for photos. Apple could team up with them and allow you to control the ReplayTV box from your computer (which third-party software currently allows) as well as let you view photos saved within iPhoto through the ReplayTV box. This could possibly allow you to use the DVD drive in a computer to play on a TV that has a ReplayTV box connected to it.

If Apple is going to get into the set-top box market, I doubt they will do it alone.