What exactly is the Mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by coffeeinthebin, Jun 11, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Is it like the macbook pro, only a desktop? all i know is that its really expensive, and they didn't show a picture of a monitor. which probably means there is none.. haha.. but what is it? the apple live chat people were no help in explaining.. i don't want to buy this, i'm just curious.

2. Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. macrumors regular

It's a desktop computer aimed at the professional market, even though some will argue they've been lacking in keeping up.

It's far more expandable than a laptop and no, it doesn't come with a monitor though I don't think there are many professional graphic artists, 3D artists, etc. looking at a laptop screen when doing their work.

And yes, it is expensive.

4. macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

You could have just checked the apple website.

5. macrumors regular

It's simply the most beautiful, fastest, hardcore computer on the planet for a prosumer...

6. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

It's high-end desktop computer from Apple. It's the only real desktop Mac as others are more or less laptops. It's very upgradeable compared to others and also the fastest thus most expensive. It's mainly meant for professionals as iMacs are fine for most peope

7. macrumors member

"What exactly is the Mac pro?"

It's a mac tower that has 1.5 year old hardware with very limited hardware upgrade options and extremely limited 2-generation-old graphic options that apple refuses to refresh. The price of this beast is still the same as it was when it was first launched even though the components stay the same. You can build a PC for about half the price that will be faster using either Windows 7 or Linux.

:D

8. macrumors regular

There is some truth in that, unfortunately.

9. macrumors 68020

iMacs use desktop class processors now.

10. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

You think I didn't know? Please. I said more or less laptops. iMacs still use mobile GPUs and RAM. CPU isn't the only component

11. macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

basically, its a super powerful computer for professional film makers etc. It doesn't come with a monitor as film makers normally have a few anyway!!

12. macrumors regular

Rofl! Best topic ever!!!

Wow, the title of this thread is so poignant.

13. macrumors regular

I would like to think they're asking themselves this same question at Apple right now.

14. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

15. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

but reading and searching are hard...

I find it much easier to buy a product and then figure out what it's for.

16. macrumors P6

dukebound85

fixed it for you

17. macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

That's a great idea for the OP to do. Buy a MacPro, then figure out what it is used for.

"What are all these connections in the back for? Where the )*)#($ is the monitor? Do I have to open this big piece on the side?"

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahaha. No I wouldn't buy it, I tried using it at the Apple store and I liked the iMac better, but that could be cause i'm not really in the category that would like it. they had a monitor with it which was HUGE more like a flat screen TV o_0
    On the website it pretty much just said a powerful tower that is amazing in performance and graphics. but apple refers to all their computers as amazing.

19. Tutor, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

macrumors 65816

Tutor

Home of the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
  20. macrumors member

Heh.

A mac pro is a professional workstation, for real professionals making real money with software. The computer cost is likely the smallest component of their tech investment for work. So they like to use Mac OS and buy a fast computer that works. They don't want to build Win7 machines for half the cost, when what they earn in a day would dwarf that amount of money, and dealing with Windows would cost them even more money.

I'm a sound designer & mixer, and that's why I like a Mac Pro.

21. Guest

advres

As a freelance online editor I can unhappily agree with this! One 24" FSI monitor costs $5000. :(

22. macrumors demi-goddess

costabunny

its simply one of the most beautifully designed workstations EVER!

Powerful for professionals and a work of art in itself (if you appreciate that sort of thing).

Upgradable and using workstation class hardware (hence it costs more than a similar numbered PC or iMac) - simply put it's Beauty and the Beast all in one package.

23. macrumors regular

Octobot

Edit #2

24. macrumors 6502a

A professional certified Unix workstation. Really meant for professional use, if you have to ask it is most likely not what you need.

25. macrumors regular

It's a workstation. It uses stuff like EEC memory, multiple CPUs, and other things you only see in professional machines.

It's also, sadly, quite outdated now. It's almost 1 year and 4 months since it was last updated.