What feature whould you like to see in iTunes 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghall, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Now that iTunes 7 is out, there are probably some of us left wanting more. I for one have one really big feature that I whould like to see: the ability to search songs by lyrics.

Have you ever been looking for a song but you can't quite remember what it's called? Just type in the a few words from the song in the search field and, boom, you have a list of the songs with those words. I think this whould be extremly helpful in the iTunes store. Say if you hear a song on the radio, and your like "Hey, I really like that song", and you didn't happen to catch the song name and artist, just type in a few of the words and, boom, one click and 99¢ later, you have that song on your computer.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

streaming of music videos to the tv, and the audio to my home stereo. Perhaps when iTV is out, this will be possible.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Better multi-threading. iTunes has terrible multi-threading capabilities... I always get beachballs whenever I try to do more than one thing.

4. the7dwarfs macrumors newbie

I have always wanted to be able to queue songs up on the fly, just drag a track onto a timeline or something and have it follow the current track.

I know this is already possible with party shuffles, but I want to be able to just decide on my next track and possibly the one or two after halfway through the current track and just line them all up in a sort of temporary playlist.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Personally, I hope that iTunes 7 will be as short lived as iTunes 5, and that iTunes 8 will appear as part of iLife '07.

B

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Ditto that, same thing applies to the Finder.

7. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yep, and they're both Apple's main Carbon apps...

8. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Some kind of basic mode - whereby it just plays music in the background without taking up lots of resources or doing anything extra.

9. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

move the music videos into movies section. Be able to download cover art through iTunes(other than just when downloading 7.0/7.1) If the cd is on iTunes.

Other than that, just changing the main page to what it was on 6, i think thats all that needs to be changed

10. TheSailerMan macrumors member

I need the ability to have a secondary genre! I hate having just "Soundtrack" in the genre fields for movie soundtracks. I want to be able to add the song's real genre too, while still keeping "Soundtrack."

I don't like doing "Soundtrack/Rock," by the way. I'm not really sure why, it just doesn't "work" for me. :rolleyes:

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This applies generally to the Artist and Composer fields where it would be nice to be able to have multiple artists or composers contributing to a particular track.

B

12. dongmin macrumors 68000

dongmin

I'd like the option to create a seperate directory for videos, i.e. let me store all my videos on an external HD while keeping all my music on my iBook. Man, those videos files eat up HD space in a hurry!

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The ability to import DVDs. I half expect Apple to release this feature with the release of iTV. Plus, Windows Vista has this feature, and I suspect iTV will be released about the same time as Vista.

But I half expect Apple to continue being naive, thinking we will buy all of our movies from iTunes (including movies we already have on DVD) so we can watch them through iTV.

14. crjackson macrumors member

The ability to choose how my folders are named and organized.

"Artist - Album name" instead of "Artist/Albumname"
    oh
    and the ability to convert songs I own and purchased from iTunes Music Store to MP3 without a hassle. :)

15. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

HE-AAC so i can double the tracks on iPod. H.264 Encoding so i can shrink all my ripped movies. This will prob need quad core so I expect to see it in iTunes 9. People should not be mad about not being able to burn iTunes Video's to disc. Even If you could you would have to have a DVD player capable of decoding AVC Plus the DRM , which i don't think we will see for some time. Once someone offers h.264 Movies at 720P/1080P it's game over and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray are both doomed.

Why fork over $30 for a disc plus $500 for the player when i can get the download for $15 , can put in into my future HD iPod , iTV and don't need to make more space for stupid DVD cases. It's all in my Hard drive. which go for peanuts now.

16. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Try clicking the green + button...

17. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

A few simple edit capabilities would be nice features to have. After all, every song on my computer is pretty much in iTunes format, and a little cut, copy, paste, clip, etc... Is that too much to ask for?

18. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

1. Better multithreading. (As was previously stated)

2. Some kind of temporary on the fly playlist. (As was previously stated).

3. Look up lyrics to songs and display them.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

HE-AAC is only effective at low bit rates, at higher bit rates more suitable for the iPod, regular AAC sounds better by a long way.

H.264 encoding is already offered via Handbrake and iTunes has the ability to convert any of your iTunes-playable movies to iPod-playable formats.

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray use H.264 encoding for their HD content, they already are H.264 movies.

You can download album art at any time, just click on the Store item in the menu bar and then Get Artwork.

20. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Ok thanks for the clarification on HE-AAC. I am aware that Handbrake does this however, You missed my point I want it intergrated into iTunes , for example Nero offers Recode 2 in it's Suite. You and I are both Tech Savvy but John doe is not I ment integration with the simplicity that itunes implements for MP3/AAC encoding. pick a bit rate then click a button.

As far as H.264 in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray this is incorrect, while H.264 is part of both specs. none currently use it. Blu-Ray uses good ol' Mpeg-2 and HD-DVD uses M$ VC-1.

I really don't understand the need for a 50GB dics in the video market when the new Codecs are of equal or better quality at 1/2 the bit rate and storage use.
    a movie like Lord of the Rings EE would take only 3GB maybe less at DVD resolution or 720x480 and 2000KB/s bit rate. With Mpeg 2 we needed 2 DVD. sound tracks are very small in comparison 150-500MB depending on DD or DTS. If you ask me it's just marketing Hype.

Blu-ray/HD-DVD = DVD-A/SA-CD ... and both with fail like their audio counterparts.

21. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I want this on the iPod...set up your nest 3 tracks and not worry about having a pre-made playlist.

22. NicP macrumors 6502

If that does ever happen you can be sure that there will be DRM applied to the ripped file (due to the DMCA). I'd much rather use Handbrake and get a clean rip.

23. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

Exactly. I have to do that all the time. I have to put in the lyrics through google, and who knows what it will come up with... I would definetly like to see this feature

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Ever heard of mini player? (command+m or ctrl +m)

25. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Just to repeat myself for the umpteenth time: autofill/downsampling for all iPods, not just the Shuffle.

Imagine... Lossless or 320kbps library, 128 or something else on the iPod. Automatically, with no messing around.

Surely such a simple thing to roll out to all iPods. Why not, Apple?