what files do I need to copy...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by QCassidy352, Aug 28, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

to completey copy an itunes library from one mac to another? Don't worry about the songs, but how do I synchronize playlists, play count, and all that jazz? I've done it before, but also failed before, and I thought I was copying the same files each time (clearly not).

Does anyone know exactly what files I need? thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it's just the iTunes Library data file in your music folder however take the iTunes Music Library.xml file as well just in case. I get iTunes to look after my music as it wishes but I find that sometimes when I don't simply drag the entire iTunes folder across from one Music folder on one Mac to another Mac, the thing doesn't work and I end up having to delete the files I just mentioned so as to be able to start again and play the music but this loses all playlists etc.

In short, try to copy the entire Music folder across if possible. :)

3. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352

but I wonder if it might take even more than that. What about the plist files in the library/preferences folder?

Is there anything that could conceivably be of use besides in those two places?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The PLIST file only keeps things like window size, what columns you display, what you encode at etc. I personally wouldn't bother because it's generally all stuff that can be set in the new iTunes and transferring it across can result in corruption which results in a badly working iTunes. Of course, that's easily fixed, you simply delete the PLIST files you copied across which leaves you back where you started. Nevertheless, it's the iTunes Library data file that keeps playlist and play count info. :)

5. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Well, I just start from scratch and drag my music folder the one with the music only, no iTunes data. (I store my music on another, larger disk.) Then, I use ListSaver to restore the playlists.

My play counts, song ratings etc are all lost, but I never, ever use all that "jazz" so I don't care. :eek: I just need my music and playlists, then I'm set.

Okay, that probably was of no use to you, but listsaver might be helpful! :eek:

llama :)

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352