What Finder View?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Glenn Wolsey, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

What Finder view do you use? I currently use column.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I use icons because I think it looks neat. I'm trying to get into the habit of using Spotlight instead of Finder though. It's not working very well. :eek:

3. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

I just applied a new icon set and I'm thinking of using folder view now because they are so awesome.

I keep thinking to myself "I need to use Spotlight more", but I love organizing files into neat folder stacks. Aargh. Lol.

4. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I use icons for this same reason. However if I'm browsing photos I use columns because the preview of the photo is better.

5. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Columns for most and icons for some (photographs mainly)

6. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

mainly columns. i see more files this way.

there is one thing i am still trying to teach myself. pressing 'command + space bar' would activate spotlight. and i would just type in the word and voilá.

7. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

Column view. I can navigate much quicker that way.

8. steelfist macrumors 6502a

i use collums for now, i like to use icons for my folders on desktop. the only problem i'm annoyed at icon mode is, that the arrangement management is sloppy. i will like it more if it autoarranges the type, name, and etc and have it neatly in order.

9. Pedro. macrumors newbie

I prefer List view cuz i love the feature of looking at what's inside the folder without going through a new window or moving away from the main folder (as in column view).

10. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Icon View. I use 96x96 icons, too. I think that looks really cool. :cool:

11. Maedus macrumors regular

I use them all. I generally use Icons for Applications and situations like that where I recognize files first by their Icon than by their name. I use list when I'm dragging and dropping files because I can see more folders that way and it doesn't move back and forth like column view, which I use for browsing pictures and when I'm searching through folders for something that I'd know if I saw it but can't think of what it is, or if I'm just trying to quickly see what's where.

12. Glenn Wolsey thread starter macrumors 65816

Glenn Wolsey

Well, I'm back to the folder view permanently with my new icon set. It looks really cool :)

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

List. Always list. For 16 years, always list.

14. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

For me, the problem is that the results from spotlight are hard to use.

Some sections have the option of displaying in list or icons view, but crucially documents, folders, movies and music sections don't have that option.

Then there is the fact that both list and icons view in spotlight isn't as pretty as the finder equivalents.

Then there is the fact that there isn't an icon to show the object in its enclosing folder (okay, you can get to it via a contextual menu option).

I think tabs to select only the type of object you want would be helpful too (kinda like the way the iTunes music store search works).

15. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

I prefer columns - just seems easier to navigate back and forth that way. In fact, that was one of the most appealing features of OS X when it first came out.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i mainly use icons. although i do occasionally use columns.

i too need to get in the habit of using spotlight more. i'm used to dashboard, but thats because i'm used to expose too. (i love me hot corners) :D

18. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

Most of my folders are in List View, as I like being able to arrange the list by name or date one the fly. I only use column view for a few special folders, like Music.

19. bartelby macrumors Core

Same here, except for only 11 years.

20. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Always columns.
    And I use Spotlight quite a lot to search document archives. I seldom have problems with Spotlight, although I wish I could (or knew how to ...) switch quickly - i.e. a button - from the Spotlight view to a Finder column view for a given document.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As someone who enjoys replacing the default icons with nice shiny new ones, I always use the icon view unless I need some specific information – for example, if I'm logging file times at work, in which case I'll switch to list view.

But when I'm done, it's back to icon view for me.

22. thomasp macrumors 6502a

Icons, but sometimes columns if I'm jumping around folders and subfolders a lot.

I rarely go into my applications folder. If an app I want to launch isn't in my dock, I just hit Command+Space, and it's found quicker than trying to trawl through 70-odd apps until I get the right one.

I find Spotlight is also great for searching for an old e-mail, and I haven't yet bothered to start Mail up.

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.