What folders should I regularly clean out?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 23, 2004.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

In the process of installing and deleting programs, I'm sure stuff gets left behind (though not nearly as much on the PC) which folders should I go through every now and then and clean out?

2. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good question. Is there areas that we as Mac newbies that we should look at deleting files from?

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i normally run a search with the program name i delted or similar names and that normally takes care of it.

most things come with a read me file, they normally document where other files that may be created.

but otherwise i dont go around deleting things.

you may want to check where all ur prefs are stored.

4. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you might want to run the installer of the program, and then tell it to uninstall. it should get most files that way.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

look in Application Support, programs that you've removed may leave small remnants there. And if you're up for the work of restoring all your preferences, wipe out the preference folder once every year or two. This is for people like me that download, run, and delete dozens or hundreds of programs a year, all of them leaving pref files.

all of these files are small and should not interfere in any way with operation. sometimes it's nice to have them, in case you ever get the app again. beyond the things above, i wouldn't worry about it. in fact, i wouldn't worry about it period. you're not going to see any real space savings, but if you don't know what you're doing, you could cause problems. OS X maintains itself remarkably well.

paul

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Are "pref" folders created when they are absent?

BTW nice photos

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

not sure what you mean here? what is absent?

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I mean if I delete the "pref' folders do they recreate themselves?

9. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

only if you run the program that created the pref file again.

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

oh- and don't delete your entire Preferences folder. this would be WAY too much work, you would only do this, possibly, if all hell had broken loose. only delete the com.publisherName.applicationName.plist files.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So what I am hearing is that I am in a Windows type of situation of wasting MB's or things that I may never use?

I ask as a new Mac user...

12. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

A pref file is usually less than 10kb in size, and is totally passive. Having thousands on your system will not affect it at all but may take up a few megabytes if you're really that worried.
    Also, pref files occasionally contain registration information like the information that says you have already entered a cd-key or serial number, so if they get deleted you will have to do it again.
    I sometimes clean the Applications Support folder, but only programs with special functions stick their legs in there, so even after half a year, less than 10 applications have set up camp in there.